• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

2004: best new music you heard this year

Started by Mister Acrolite, December 14, 2004, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Acrolite

As we approach the end of the year, let me throw this out:

What's the best stuff you've heard this year? Doesn't have to be something that happened this year - just something that you were exposed to for the first time this year. In other words, as NBC says, it's new to you!

I'll go with John Scofield's CD,  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RTDC/]Ãœberjam .

This CD introduced me to the drumming of  http://www.adamdeitch.com/]Adam Deitch , who I think is doing the coolest job of blending old funk and new drum-n-bass styles into a truly unique drumming voice, all while grooving his butt off.

Ãœberjam actually came out in early 2002, but I didn't hear it until this year. To me it's a real standout from a drumming perspective. There are plenty of good drummers out there, but this CD really caught my ear, with Adam playing some stuff that I have not heard before, something that's becoming increasingly rare.

Honorable mention goes to Jon Theodore for his work on Mars Volta's  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/B00009V7T2/]De-Loused in the Comatorium . Great drumming and interesting compositions, although the music is not stuff I feel compelled to listen to frequently.

Okay, now let's hear from YOU!  8)

Stewart Manley

Good thread.

I'll go with two that I find hard to choose between.

First off,  http://www.hiromimusic.com/recordings-Brain.htm]Brain by Hiromi . Released in May, with Martin Valihora on drums, I was first captivated by  http://www.hiromimusic.com/videos.htm]this video  and just had to get the CD - as would anyone who liked Chick Corea as much as I do. Wonderful, slightly quirky stuff, and a great performance from all concerned.

Second,  http://www.vitalinformation.com/vital/come_on_in.html]Come on In  from  http://www.vitalinformation.com/]Steve Smith and Vital Information . I was obviously aware of the music, especially with their "set" on the History of the US Beat DVD, but hadn't bothered to hunt down any recordings. Silly me. When I caught them at Ronnies, I sprung for a copy of the CD on the spot (signed, natch) and it didn't leave the changer in the car for two months. Simply stunning. Steve's command of the instrument and deep knowledge of the genres and the grooves is evident in every track.

I'll award a booby prize too, for the biggest disappointment this year. This comes in the form on  http://www.tothestars.com/themusic.htm]To The Stars , from the reformed Mark 1  http://www.chickcorea.com/to_the_stars_the_music2.html]Chick Corea Elektric Band . This should have been in the highlight category, but I'm afraid the description that comes to mind when I listen to it is "noodling." Closely followed by "what a waste." Possibly the greatest collection of stellar class fusion musicians (and heros of mine) all in one room, and this is the output. Fabulously complex, fabulously played, noodling. Of course, it doesn't help that the subject matter is a badly written piece of tosh from a snake oil merchant, but there you go. I can't remember a single tune off the entire CD.

psycht

great thread idea.

I'll second on "De-Loused...". That is a great album with some increadable drumming.

Badly Drawn Boy's latest album "One plus One is One" is one of my favorites.  There is some really creative sounds and drumming on this album. Its nothing spectacular, but good nonetheless.

Death Cab for Cutie's "Transatlanticism" is another one that I cant'; get enough of. Great indie rock sounds and I really dig their drummer's style.

Bjork's "Medulla".  It was her ALL-VOCAL concept album.  Just brilliant ideas, sounds, etc... used to create that signatre Bjork sound, but is just mindblowing in how she concieved each sound to work with one another.

Lastly, but not least is the first release from The Postal Service.  Think back to sounds of Erasure and Thomas Dolby mixed with a moden indie pop vibe.  I didn't know what to this when I first heard this album, but the more I listend to its eletronic samples and synth instrumentation I loved it.  

Dave Heim

More of a REnewal. . . I renewed my interest in Elvin after his passing.  

And I echo moosetication's comments on Steve Smith's Vital Information CD.

Paul DAngelo

I don't know if these are available nationally, but, here in New Orleans, there have been some seriously good funky records that I've picked up (you can get them at the Louisiana Music Factory online).

John "Papa" Gros - Day's End
Papa Grows Funk - Shakin'

Both of these CD's are headed by John "Papa" Gros, who plays a nasty Hammond B-3, nice and beefy.  Backed up by some seriously funky folks, these are both keepers.

Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen - Pin Your Spin

I saw this band this spring at the New Orleans Jazz Fest.  They were playing some seriously nasty, funky, make you move whether you want to or not, kind of stuff.  He would introduce a song and I would detect an "English" accent.  Well, that's because he's from England, but is now a dyed-in-the-wool New Orleans Funkmaster.  Good stuff.  (BTW, later that afternoon I caught Bonnie Raitt and noticed that her keyboard player was.... Jon Cleary!)

Galactic - Crazyhorse Mongoose
Stanton Moore on drums driving a groove so deep, if you fell in, you wouldn't see sunlight!  

Dead Trooper

I found Zakk Wylde's Pride & Glory record this year, and it revitalized my views on rock'n'roll. Just flat out great riffs, very solid, groovy drums, raw natural powerful sounds, and Zakk's novice voice (at the time).

That record is over 8 years old too. So it's freaky to find it now.

groovin

I can think of oneAnd its from your very own web site Mr.A.It is under the drum lick from hell portion. its Bill Stewerts (Dewey said). I really look forward to checking out that whole cd.

groovin

Theres some pretty cool tunes on the Mondern Drummer web site Radio Station! I like to use it in the backround while on this site!

B

I would also have to suggest Mars Volta. They are smokin!

btoneill

I will vote for Mars Volta as well, with Jon Theodore taking from lots of different style influences in his playing.

Some others:

Interpol's new one is quite good as well, Antics; although I'd say their first one may have been better.

Kasabian's self-titled debut

Hope of the States - The Lost Riots

The Futureheads - Self Titled

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-Eyed Mender -->very weird, but cool; most songs are just her singing while playing harp, but my band has been working on covering one of the songs, "Sprout and the Bean," transcribing into a rock tune while keeping the well-written lyrics and overall cool sound.

Scissor Sisters - Self Titled --> another fairly weird one with more dance tunes, which I generally don't listen to all that often, but these guys are cool; the song "Return to Oz" stands out, possibly a sign of good things to come.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I'm always on the lookout for best newcomers of any given year. And by that I mean BANDS. Real bands that play real instruments making a real contributions.

2 fave newcomers for me this year were:

Maroon 5, they span from really rockin, to really soulful and funky (kind of like that Jamiroqui (sp)) to really poppy

and

Los Lonely Boys, guitarist thats a cross between SRV and Santana, great singers too.

And I'd like to say a big thanks to services like Windows Media Radio services and Time Warner digital cable for offering the genre of Adult Alternative music which is how I found these bands. Cause I sure wouldn't here them on my local radio or MTV.

psycht

Quote from: shoeless on December 15, 2004, 09:00 AM
Maroon 5, they span from really rockin, to really soulful and funky (kind of like that Jamiroqui (sp)) to really poppy

Yeah.. I'll second that.  Regardless of their position in the mainstream pop, they are a REAL band that makes music with some pretty good hooks (a la Stevie Wonder).

smoggrocks

i picked up hilary jones's first solo CD entitled Soaring. much of it is blues/funk-based rock. the title track is more of a rock-jazz-fusion thing that really showcases her drumming. great song, excellent playing. another track, Midget Match is also really good. lots of cool syncopated grooves. her dw's sound really killer on this album. she also covers The Pretenders's Talk of the Town, and does the singing. She sounds like a slightly more feminine version of Chrissie Hynde and really has a pretty voice.  

i rediscovered Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints cd, too. i saw that show live in Central Park, and it brought back some great memories. lots of great music on this.

and for some reason, i listened to a lot of elton john [pre- "Rock of the Westies"]. i was a huge ej fan when i was young. his early stuff is stellar, imho.

i spent most of '04 learning new band tunes vs. listening to other music. but i'm looking forward to many music splurges in '05!

Commander

There have been some releases this year that have really made me sit up and get interested in music again.

Snow Patrol: The final Straw.
Great tunes, excellent production and haunting vocals.

Keane: Hopes and fears.
Excellent album with immense potential.

Maroon 5: Songs about Jane.
A real funky band. Great album and great production.

U2: How to dismantle an atomic bomb.
I'm not a huge U2 fan but this album contains the perfect single Vertigo so I have to love it.

Embrace: Out of nothing.
There is a track on here that I can't get out of my head entitled Gravity. Beautiful Coldplay type music.

Ryan Culberson

Maroon 5 and Gavin DeGraw.  

They're both kind of in the same vein, although I think Maroon 5 is more funky and Gavin DeGraw is more old-school pop-ish.  

Both seem heavily influenced by Stevie Wonder (a personal favorite) and seem truly talented.  

pilottoplanes

Best music I've heard........ *!*!*ATOMSHIP*!*!* They have the best drummer I've ever heard.... Chad Kent!

sirdrumalot

Shawn Colvin: A Few Small Repairs, Shawn Pelton on drums.

Steely Dan: Katy Lied, Jeff Porcaro on drums.

Stevie Wonder: Talking Book, I think Stevie Plays on that one.

Stevie Ray Vaughn: Some greatest hits album, Chris Layton

Miles Davis: Milestones, Joe Jones drums for that album.

Those are Definitely the best albums I've listened to this year.  

Dave Heim

I just came from my 5 yr old son's Christmas performance, where I got to see him (and one other kid from the class) play a set of Orff bells.  That is the best - and coolest - thing I've seen and heard this year.  

[beaming daddy]

;D

[/beaming daddy]

agogobil

I have to lead off with a recommendation from this site - Herbie Hancock's Flood ... I remember seeing them back at that time, but I don't remember much of the concert (if ya know what I mean).  Of course, I'm a fan of Mike Clark, but that group was TIGHT.

Classic Meets Cuba - the Klazz Brothers.  Classical compositions with Cuban percussion.  Beautiful!

Actually, the video Band of Gypsies Live at the Fillmore East gave me a new appreciation for the CD.  "Machine Gun" with the background video takes on a whole new meaning - very powerful.

I've been listening to all of the Bill Laswell recordings I can get my  hands on, and also picking up work from artists who collaborate with him - Pete Namlook, Tetsu Inoue, Pharoah Sanders, Jonah Sharp, Karsh Kale, Trilok Gurtu, and more.