• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

THe Big "C"

Started by felix, December 11, 2002, 07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robyn

>:( >:( >:( Definitely go w/ the 2nd opinion. I'm glad that you are not being meek about this. Too many people have the attitude that the dr. is some kind of god--yessir, nossir...My mother (also a nurse) told me once "remember 50% of doctors graduated at the bottom of their class"--a good thing to keep in mind!
My personal estimate is that about 80% of drs are GOOD. Another 15% are completely awesome, that I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put my life in their hands. I have been lucky enough to have 2 such physicians in the past. The last 5% are just plain bad, and I've seen patients be seriously compromised in surgery and even die. One guy had the most wonderful bedside manner--his patients loved him--and he was a fairly good surgeon. But when things got tricky, he went to pieces. Another had a terrible bedside manner--one of her patients referred to her (to me, pre-op) as the "Ice Princess". But she was a @$%# good surgeon. The main thing is, trust your gut, check them out, and keep evaluating each one. Get a notebook, write down your questions (even if they seem silly--and if you're too embarrassed, you can IM me--I won't laugh, and I'll be happy to explain things), and leave a space to write the answer down. Remember that YOU are hiring this dr, and you have a right to be satisfied w/ your wife's care and how you are treated. IF this does turn out to be something serious, get this book ASAP--"Love, Medicine, and Miracles" by Bernie Siegal, MD. Each of you should read it at least once. Dr. Siegal says that the patients who do the best are the ones who are a "pain in the ass"--ie, those who are involved in their care, ask questions, demand quality care and raise a fuss if it isn't delivered.
Not knowing yet actually sounds pretty good to me. Cancer cells are usually pretty obvious on biopsy. Hang in there--we are all still thinking of and praying for you both.

dagruve

Felix,

I don't have any rules yet cause i'm new here.  I'm really sorry about your circumstance.

I am a firm beleiver in prayer. I friend of mine was diagnoes with full blown aids last year and although it's different from your situation I believe the outcome could be the same. A group of us got together and prayed for the  lady while being on the brink of death at a nursing and God healed her compleately. Now she goes back to the nursing center and helps those that are in the same condition she was. The doctors call her the miracle lady.

So I will keep you and your wife in prayer just keep believing.

PeaceB2U,
dagruve

BradWtb

Honestly sorry to hear that...
Hope everything works out all right.

Gregg Rivers

November 16th, 1999, after having an enlarged tonsil removed from my throat, the pathology report came back and was positive for Cancer. An early T-2 tumor was found. I was a fulltime DJ, drummer in a working band and singer too! I made my living with my voice and thought I was about to loose it, and frankly I thought my life was about to end too! Then there was a lot of praying and support from my family, friends and people I didn't even know! After 6 weeks of radiation treatments twice a day I wasn't feeling to great! But I was still alive. Now 3 years later..... I'm still alive! Healthy! I still work in radio....on the air and I still play and sing in my band (some say, and I believe better than I ever did before!) Cancer is no longer the last word! There is hope and there are curable types of cancer. It's shocking to go through personally (it was for me!) but you can beat it! I'm living proof! And there a great many more out there. I will ask my church to say a prayer for you and your wife Felix. I honestly believe that prayer made a big difference in my recovery. Just be suportive and keep thinking positive!

felix

Thanks man.  As you know, these ordeals are no fun at all.

Gregg Rivers

No fun is an understatement! But I look back on my ordeal as blessing believe it or not! It turned my life around and I came out of it a better man, husband, son, father, friend, DJ, and musician. You hang in there bro!

Bart Elliott

Well ... we had a rough week last week. My wife was in a lot of abdominal pain ... and after numerous tests and a over-night stay at the hospital ... they think that she may have ovarian cancer in one of her ovaries.

It's interesting that we were just talking (just two days before all of this happened) about wanting to start working to have another child. It's also interesting that we've been praying for Felix's wife.

We have to make a decision as to what we need to do, so keep us in your thoughts as well.

There are forces at work that don't like it when you pray for others .... so they lash back at you. I'm confident that all of this has something to do with that ... so we'll see.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Bartman on January 17, 2003, 08:35 AM
There are forces at work that don't like it when you pray for others .... so they lash back at you. I'm confident that all of this has something to do with that ... so we'll see.
So we'll just keep praying EVEN MORE.  We shall prevail!

I'm so removed from your situation, but I know that I can feel it and I'm sure a lot of other cafe members feel the same way.

Please keep us aware of updates, you too Felix, because in the back of my mind I'll always be thinking about you guys and your wives.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Felix EVEN MORE at this time.  

Gregg Rivers

God Bless you and your family Bart. You know I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers as well. Just keep the faith and the positive attitude. Your wife can beat Cancer. It happens every day!

felix

With all this praying going on I'm surprised I'm not growing wings.

Ok, we will put you guys on the list.  We will see if we deserve a break from Ol' Yahweh up there.  Can't complain though.

Nancy got scanned again monday to see if this thing is growing some more before we do the open biopsy so hopefully it hasn't.

Ok
Peace
F

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Bartman on January 17, 2003, 08:35 AM
Well ... we had a rough week last week. My wife was in a lot of abdominal pain ... and after numerous tests and a over-night stay at the hospital ... they think that she may have ovarian cancer in one of her ovaries.

It's interesting that we were just talking (just two days before all of this happened) about wanting to start working to have another child. It's also interesting that we've been praying for Felix's wife.

We have to make a decision as to what we need to do, so keep us in your thoughts as well.

Sorry to hear of this news Bart.  I will keep your family in my prayers and ask for the healing that's needed.  May God give you peace during this time.

Tom

felix

Nancy just got a hold of her dr.

The cat scan last week showed a remarkable decrease in size of the image of whatever it is that was showing up a couple of months ago and giving her pain!  Can you believe it?  Anyways she doesn't have to get scanned for another 6 months and no open or CT guided needle biopsi.

Cool.  Keep the faith.

Louis Russell

Congrats Felix!! ;D ;D ;D  I will inform everyone in my prayer chain.  How can people not believe in the power of prayer? ???

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: felix on January 20, 2003, 06:44 AM
Nancy just got a hold of her dr.

The cat scan last week showed a remarkable decrease in size of the image of whatever it is that was showing up a couple of months ago and giving her pain!  Can you believe it?  Anyways she doesn't have to get scanned for another 6 months and no open or CT guided needle biopsi.

Cool.  Keep the faith.
That is such GREAT NEWS.  I told my wife that even though I know you only through the cafe, I've been wondering about you and your wife's circumstances since your first post.

felix

I know, it's great.  It's really one of the first "miracles" I've  ever encountered.  Since I have become more religious (that could be slight stretch) and spiritual I feel the Lord's presence and blessings in my life.  

Now, we have to get Bart's wife all prayed up and then I can pray for more practice time on my drumset  ;D.  

Ok enough church talk.

Back to the age old argument "birch vs. maple"

Bob Levey

Hey Bart

I just read that about your wife. She will be O.K. you know what it is. Just keep your focus on you know who.

God Bless

B.L.

Hey if Trane could be looking toward the spiritual so can we.

Gregg Rivers

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
For Felix and Nancy! ^
                                 God bless you guys! ;)

robyn

Fantastic news felix!! I started writing down small miracles a while back to buoy my faith when things get rough--it really helps. I will add this one  ;D

Bart Elliott

Just a quick update on my wife's status.

Two weeks ago she went to another doctor for a second opinion. He confirmed what we had learned (via the Internet) that the high CA125 count is usually from  things other than cancer. After a physical examination, this doctor said that my wife's ovary was not enlarged ... and that he agreed with us that she does not have cancer.  :)

The original pain, enlarged ovary, and subsequent high CA125 count was from the ovarian cyst that ruptured.

She is supposed to go back for another CA125 blood test as well as Ultrasound ... just to be safe and confirm that things are as they appear.

All good news.

I'm pleased that we were not motivated out of fear like the original doctors who wanted to just go in and take out the potentially cancerous ovary. Actually, at first they were convinced it was her appendix. This was at the best hospital in Nashville.  :(

No offense to our medical members here at the Cafe ... but it sure seems like much of the medical community is motivated out of fear and the lack of patience. Rather than listen to the patient, who knows their own body better than anyone, they immediately apply the "normal" procedures under similar circumstances ... which to me puts the patient at greater risk.

Thank you all for your prayers and positive words/thoughts.  8)

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Bartman on February 03, 2003, 04:09 PM
Just a quick update on my wife's status.

Two weeks ago she went to another doctor for a second opinion. He confirmed what we had learned (via the Internet) that the high CA125 count is usually from  things other than cancer. After a physical examination, this doctor said that my wife's ovary was not enlarged ... and that he agreed with us that she does not have cancer.  :)

The original pain, enlarged ovary, and subsequent high CA125 count was from the ovarian cyst that ruptured.

She is supposed to go back for another CA125 blood test as well as Ultrasound ... just to be safe and confirm that things are as they appear.

All good news.

I'm pleased that we were not motivated out of fear like the original doctors who wanted to just go in and take out the potentially cancerous ovary. Actually, at first they were convinced it was her appendix. This was at the best hospital in Nashville.  :(

No offense to our medical members here at the Cafe ... but it sure seems like much of the medical community is motivated out of fear and the lack of patience. Rather than listen to the patient, who knows their own body better than anyone, they immediately apply the "normal" procedures under similar circumstances ... which to me puts the patient at greater risk.

Thank you all for your prayers and positive words/thoughts.  8)
Fantastic News!!!!!

My wife and I have been wondering about your situation.

You're right Bart, you have to watch out for yourself in the medical world and not let doctors be know it alls.  

Profit over care is coming way too much into play these days as well.