• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

How many sticks do you break...

Started by drumwild, August 13, 2004, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayc28

I've experimented with several different types of sticks. I love the Zildjian Dip series, but found that the wrap grip does not last long at all. I never found Vic Firth sticks that I liked. I always return to Pro-Mark. I use 5A's when playing acoustic, 7A's when playing on e-drums. I use the hickory ones.

I once bought a pair of the Japanese oak Pro-Mark sticks and hated them. Hitting the cymbals was being a baseball player and hitting a fastball in on the hands. It's like they had no 'give' whatsoever.

As for how many I break, there's no regularity to it and sometimes depends on what I am playing.

I did the back pocket deal one time at church. It was perfect too because one time I was bringing a stick up and it hit the bottom of one of the toms (a rubber pad really), and it went flying up in the air like I tossed it. It actually hit the acoustic guitarist on the way down and the Pastor who usually sits in the front row, saw all of this and his eyes got as big as saucers because he just saw a train wreck coming. I calmly grabbed the extra stick out of my back pocket and just kept going and he thought it was like one of the coolest things he had seen.

bolweevil

I rarely break sticks, but I used to do it quite often.

I think it's the angle of my cymbals--they're not as flat as they used to be--and, as I've  gotten more experience, I'm more accurate and don't bash the rims like I once did.

The only recent problem I had was with nylon tips--the stick would survive fine, but within a week the tip would fly off!  I have since switched to wood tips and like them just fine.

Todd Norris

I never break sticks, but they do wear out after awhile.  The shoulders get chewed up and sometimes the bead will chip.  My sticks usually last a good long while though.

As for stick models, I like the Steve Smith stick, as well as the Stanton Moore, Weckl evolution, and Joe Porcaro Diamond tip.