• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Classics stay, Newbies go...

Started by Tae, January 14, 2006, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tae

Quote from: JayB on January 16, 2006, 07:09 PM
It's a shame that you even HAVE to catergorize your music these days.
Other than that I think that a MULTITUDE of bands from the 90s will be remembered.  

We have to catagorize in order to do many things. Imagine going to Wal-mart and going to electronics to buy a rock cd. You are there for 5 hours and then you find the rock cd you are looking for next to a garth brooks cd and a 50 cent cd. Music would be hard to find without genres. If you were into Rock and wanted to hear it on a radio then you would have to wait for a rock song to come on because of all the other genres mixed in the station. the only way that that might work is if everyone liked all genres of music. And last of, I don't think that you all are understanding what i meant by newer bands. I did not mean bands from the 90's i meant bands that have come around in the past few years.

gammalight6000

Quote from: Tae on January 16, 2006, 07:28 PM
I did not mean bands from the 90's i meant bands that have come around in the past few years.
hence, nerd rock. like mars volta and stuff like that.....

Jay Northrop

Nickleback is good and I think they will stay for a while. Its hard because music isn't what it was..neither are the labels. Todays its popularity...where as when Zep,The Stones,Rush,Aerosmith...when they started in the 70's is was about the music. Hense why they remain power houses today...they are GREAT bands...and they do what they want..always have.

jokerjkny

Quote from: Tae on January 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
Ya, i didn't expect it to grow this popular. ::)

or as notoriously moot!  lol!

jokerjkny

Quote from: JayB on January 16, 2006, 07:09 PM
I really dislike it when people (not insinuating that you are, just the general pub) try to use "indie" as a genre.  It's not.  

(...)

Other than that I think that a MULTITUDE of bands from the 90s will be remembered.  As long as those grunge and alt songs from the 90s continue to get airplay, they'll be popular.
+1

well said, j.

if its on radio, its "pop" music that'll last so long as the masses keep it popular, and the record companies see it viable to keep printing reissue after ad nauseum reissue.

besides, a classic for one person, isnt necessarily gonna be a classic for another person.

capt. beefheart and nick drake will last forever in my mind, and anyone else's mind within earshot of my crazed ramblings honoring those two men.  but i doubt most of the strangers i meet on the street will even know a single song title from either one.

and i bet half of the country, especially those away from the heartland of america could even name a single johnny cash song, up until that awful (yet well acted ;)) biopic came out last year.

again, if its marketable, he/she/them will last en masse.

and yes, hiphop is here to stay.  deal with it, like i'm dealing with brooks & dunn, john mayer trio, jamie foxx (?!?!?!), and yes, ashley simpson.   ::)

Tae

Quote from: gammalight6000 on January 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
hence, nerd rock. like mars volta and stuff like that.....
ya, I just didn't mean bands that have been around for more than lets say...3 years.

Tony

Newer pop bands with staying power?

Tool
Dave Matthews Band
Foo Fighters

Pop in the sense that they are popular bands, which is what the category Pop means.

As for all the other genre spewing nonsense, who cares?  Call it rock, metal, blues, jazz, whatever.  The mark of music with staying power is music that appeals to the masses and is good.  

Bands like Zeppelin, Hendrix Exp, etc. are going to be recognized for a long, long time because they made music that is CROSS GENRE, or appeals to a wide variety of people, has the heart and soul of the artists, and is appealling.  Every band that hits huge with a song or an album hits because what they do is timely for the moment.  But to have massive staying power, you have to appeal to enough people for a long enough time to sustain your deal.

U2 is the biggest band in the world.  Their music is sincere, true to their heart and appealing.  That's why they sell out 200 million tickets in a day.  

Slipknot's music is sincere and true to the nature of the artists.  That's about it.  Doesn't mean they aren't going to be around for a long time, it just means they have a limited target audience.  

When people talk about staying power in the industry, it usually means 1 of 2 things.  Staying power within your core audience and/or staying power overall.

While genre specific music has many bands that have been around for a while, true power comes from bands that appeal across the board.

Metallica has taken a lot of heat from a lot of people about their "selling out".  The truth of the matter is they make music that doesn't limit themselves to a core audience.  I'm sure the members of the band are ok with that.

I believe the only bands that will have broad, long range sucess of late are the Foo Fighters and Dave Matthews.  There are several worthy canidates, but they haven't really been around long enough.

Bands like the Mars Volta, Slipknot, etc?  They'll be around and probably sustain a viable career, but they'll never be major players in the big picture.  They just don't have the appeal.

ritarocks

Quote from: Pirate Pig on January 14, 2006, 07:49 PM
i'd like to see how john mayer progresses

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but a comment so far up to this point:

What I'm excited about is that John Mayer, who is young and attractive to the younger generation, has the power to bring/reintroduce the aspect of  instrumentation to mainstream music, as well as blues/funk, etc. to the younger  audience, who is not often exposed to such in these days of dance bands and electronic music, compared to the 70's, etc. when everyone was playing guitar, etc. Mayer is on the cover of Guitar Player this month, and will probably influence many younger folks to pick up the guitar and get back to the roots, which is awesome.

Mark Schlipper

I think Tortoise will be around for a good long time.   They may shift a member or two, but they'll stick around.  

I also think Tali White (The Guild League, The Lucksmiths) and Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) will be those characters that will sit on the edge of superstardom for ages.   Playing full 1000 seat clubs and small theaters, not necessarily the ampitheaters/arenas.   They may keep their respective bands around, they may not.    They'll be the Elvis Costello's and Mike Scott's of this generation.

jokerjkny

Quote from: Tony on January 17, 2006, 01:05 PM(...)
Dave Matthews Band
(...)

what did my friend say about them???

"the best players in the world's worst band..."

:P

again, this thread's a little moot.

jokerjkny

Quote from: 563 on January 17, 2006, 03:34 PM(...)

I also think Tali White (The Guild League, The Lucksmiths) (...)

... as joker rifles thru the search pages of allmusic.com ;D

but what, no sufjan?  he's got another 48 records to go!

Tony

Quote from: jokerjkny on January 18, 2006, 02:56 AM
what did my friend say about them???

"the best players in the world's worst band..."

again, this thread's a little moot.

Usually you're humorous.  However, your bitter tone and the number of times you made it clear you don't like this topic is apparent.  If it's moot and that bothersome to you, stay out of the thread.

BlackEvovii

Once again i agree with pirate pig.  As far as bands staying, of course no band is going to be as much of an influence as the bands who influenced what we have today.  Those bands like I Mother Earth, The Nixons, Second Coming etc etc stay in our hearts and amongst talks with other people who are familiar with these artists.  In a way thats being remembered.  

As far as bands staying, im sure any band who continues to put out cds every has a pretty good chance of staying power.

to name a few

Cold
Weezer
Sevendust
Foo Fighters

and nickleback is def not heavy metal.  A hard rock act, at best.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: jokerjkny on January 18, 2006, 03:30 AMbut what, no sufjan?  he's got another 48 records to go!

He (Sufjan Stevens for those that aren't familiar) could be.   I don't see his 50 states project happening if he stays on the schedule he's shown though  ;D  An album a year, yeah, maybe he can finish up.  But an album every 2 years?  

I might've counted Jim O'Rourke among the list, but he's fallen to the wayside as a writer/performer lately.   He will last and have a significant impact as a producer though I'm sure.  

jokerjkny

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2006, 08:29 AM
Usually you're humorous.  However, your bitter tone and the number of times you made it clear you don't like this topic is apparent.  If it's moot and that bothersome to you, stay out of the thread.

aww, cmon, tony,

just being devil's advocate.  a highly moody one, but nonetheless.

and as much as i was knocked clear to my ass then flat on my back by "under the table and dreaming" (a violin and sax player?!), i just cant get into the newer DWB, even with carter's uber cool drummng.  :(

jokerjkny

Quote from: 563 on January 18, 2006, 06:18 PM
He (Sufjan Stevens for those that aren't familiar) could be.   I don't see his 50 states project happening if he stays on the schedule he's shown though  ;D  An album a year, yeah, maybe he can finish up.  But an album every 2 years?  

I might've counted Jim O'Rourke among the list, but he's fallen to the wayside as a writer/performer lately.   He will last and have a significant impact as a producer though I'm sure.  

my Xtn side is really rooting for him.  but my pissy side is thinking, "how full of yourself can you be thinking you can churn out that much work?"  i mean, not everyone's ryan adams!  course, hopefully, sufjan wont have as bad a case of "mental diarrhea" as ry.  :P

jokerjkny

Quote from: 563 on January 18, 2006, 06:18 PM

i figured it out...

you either program for  http://www.sonicboomrecords.com/]here  or  http://www.loc.gov/]here .

eardrum

I didn't read all 80+ posts on this but what I read indicates that most of us talking about this are missing a major point.  Over the past 50 years there has been a huge shift in our culture, including pop culture, music culture, entertainment culture, the music business, etc. etc.  Back when Elvis or the Beatles were the artist that almost everyone listened to, there were not many choices.  Great artist got to the top and had more staying power in large part because of Ed Sullivan, ABC, Capital Records, Movie Studios, etc.   Admittedly, there were some flashes of genius that have stood the test of time but so much of the music back then was fed to us through just a few large corporate distribution channels.  Now, look at the industry.  There is nothing equivalent to Ed Sullivan to introduce an act to the entire world - no - not Jay, or Dave or Conan or SNL.  American Idol might be the closest thing but hmm........ Now it's all segmented, niche based distribution.  When I was a kid, the whole family would watch Ed Sullivan.  Now, one of my daughters sharing with friends on myspace.com, another is mixing her play list on Itunes, my son is checking out old stuff on Rhapsody, I'm renting music DVDs from netflix.....  To me, itââ,¬â,,¢s obvious why really good, talented artist don't have staying power.  There is too much on our plate.  Is this a good thing?  Maybe it is.   Either way, it just is and there aint nothin you can do about it.  

There's also a matter of style stagnation but that has to be another discussion.

Eskil Sæter

Well, here's a thought: If the Beatles had started playing today, with the music industry as it is, instead, and written the exact same songs as they did back then, would they have enjoyed the same success? Or would they have been quickly forgotten?

Like eardrum said, a few bands have probably become classics because there were just not so many other bands around.

jokerjkny