• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Girls In The Band

Started by Bart Elliott, March 31, 2011, 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

I've been keeping an eye on the making of this documentary, Girls In The Band.

The film's creators are having a fund-raiser to generate the needed revenue to complete the project, so I thought I would give you an opportunity to consider supporting their efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfP2ylrq3A#]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfP2ylrq3A#

To contribute, go to:  http://www.indiegogo.com/thegirlsintheband]http://www.indiegogo.com/thegirlsintheband

Hannah Ford

Hmmmmmm......

Very interesting.

Rusty Beckett

Without a doubt the stupidest thing a guy can say when trying to give a complement is "pretty good . . . for a girl"

Paicey

Call it imature or whatever but ive been in bands where chicks became thee problem. Heart had them, etc etc. Im just glad that testerone levels are such (now) that talent is the focus. If youve been in your 20's with a chick (single) front person and tell me there have never been any issues id say....ya......ok.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Paicey on April 01, 2011, 10:55 PM
Call it imature or whatever but ive been in bands where chicks became thee problem.

Uuuugh.  :-\

It's not about 'chicks', it's about people. Some people create problems, in your case it might have been the guys (ya know?).

Paicey

Absolutely, it generally is the male ego that can cause a problem. Ive also seen it work most of the time. Ive seen the Heart thing raise its head where the chick singer breaks it off with the guitar player :'( and has a new thing with the drummer >:(. Its no different than the males all checking out the new secretary in the office wondering which guy can get her attention. It helps if the chick (female)..sorry...in the band is overweight and not a hottie.
Ive wanted to ask Hannah Ford if she has ever caught one of the guys giving her the look, slyly. Isnt it natural for the guys to get flirty or mildly suggestive now and then? which usually needs nipped in the bud if management is involved.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Paicey on April 02, 2011, 12:52 PMIt helps if the chick (female)..sorry...in the band is overweight and not a hottie.

Well, maybe we should talk about the male members of the band who are 'overweight'? ::)

I'm sad it's still a tad notable when female musicians are onstage in roles such as drummer, bassist or guitarist.
Female musicians have been world beaters in the industry for many years. Many, many years in the classical field.
One bad aspect to the internet is it gives relative strangers cart blanche to post the first thing that comes into their heads.
I've got to say it drives me insane to read a thread started with the purpose of celebrating some female musical talent, only to see dozens of posts commenting on the 'hot', or not hot nature of the person in question.
At least let's have a few threads about Colaiuta and Peart, commenting on their sexual attraction instead of their brilliance behind the kit, just to balance things up a little.

Bart Elliott

I started this thread to celebrate the film and spread the word ... not to have it feed the very monster addressed by these female musicians in the video.

Paicey ... cool it please.

Paicey

My apologies, i didnt mean to detract from the thoughts of the initial post. I guess my own experiences got involved and without thinking that i could possibly be offensive i realize that my diplomacy skills need sharpened. There are many incredible female musicians around the world which are inspirational to me and i apologize again for going somewhere it shouldnt have.

Tim van de Ven

Is it really 1955, still?

I'm with Chris on this one; I don't know how many times I've posted links to live videos or "MTV-style" videos that I've done with the various talented women that I work with, only to read stupid replies like "she's hot" or "how do you play drums with that in front of you" or "are you guys a couple" any other inane remarks. How about something refreshing like commentary on the music?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Tim van de Ven on April 04, 2011, 01:09 PM
How about something refreshing like commentary on the music?

That's what SHE said.  :)

As I already mentioned, I'm in total agreement with Chris, and now Tim.

You know, the last thing I want the Drummer Cafe to be known for is being sexist. I'd rather us be THE drum/percussion forum that is NOT sexist. For the most part, we are, which is why female musicians like Hannah Ford (and others) frequent here.

Quality over quantity.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Bart Elliott on April 04, 2011, 01:29 PM
That's what SHE said.  :)

As I already mentioned, I'm in total agreement with Chris, and now Tim.

You know, the last thing I want the Drummer Cafe to be known for is being sexist. I'd rather us be THE drum/percussion forum that is NOT sexist. For the most part, we are, which is why female musicians like Hannah Ford (and others) frequent here.

Quality over quantity.

AMEN...

Hannah

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Bart Elliott on April 04, 2011, 01:29 PM
You know, the last thing I want the Drummer Cafe to be known for is being sexist.
If you were, I know I wouldn't be here.  ;)