• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

general drummer physique

Started by ADNdrumNUT, February 05, 2003, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADNdrumNUT

hey guys, right, im 17 years old and im quiete thin with longer legs then my body, lol as well as im quiet toned, all obtained from drumming, does this effect it, since my legs are longer that means im further away from the toms, i could be speakin all balls here, he he, i just notice punk drummers are usually very skinny or thin and metal drummerts are generallym fat, ive been oplayin for 5 years and still however cannot always relax my biceps. But do you guys use your biceps? weird question hey, he he  ??? ::)  :D

Ratamatatt

I think it has more to do with being 17.  Don't complain.  When you're 40 you'll be saying: "@$%# I wish I had my 17 y.o. body back."  When I was 17 I was 5'11' and 135 lbs.  Skinny is always better than fat, unless you're anorexic or bolemic.

Ratamatatt

Mark Schlipper

well, the size thing is arbitrary.  drummer are drummers are the size they are.  

as for relaxing your biceps, stretch and relax before playing.  sounds like youre getting to physical while you play, and its tensing you up.  work on letting the sticks work for you.  check the ergonomics of your kit, etc.  you can get a lot of speed and volume without a lot of tension, its just a matter of making a concious effort to do so.  

when youre practicing alone, be aware of what youre doing, if you find yourself tensing, stop and think about what is triggering it.  

timmy

i believe it may have something to do with metal kicking ars 8), and punk kissing it :-*...

Metal players work on drumming, not working out so they look good drumming...

and thats why we wear onions on our belts...yellow ones, as was the style at the time.....

so to get to the point...i believe it doesn't matter what your size is...unless of course you can't reach the drums...but i won't go there....

then again...maybe i'm just plain biased.

c. jude

Yeah, while your physical makeup is what it is, I don't think that the kinesiology plays a big enough part to worry much about unless you are at some extreme.

There have been gifted drummers in all sizes and shapes.  Clearly being fit doesn't appear to hurt anyone, and really makes one feel better in general.  Clearly too, there are physical conditions that can impose restrictions of movement or ability.  

If you are reasonably fit, have reasonable balance, and can get to the various drums and cymbals without undue effort or strain, you can learn to drum.  Depending on your ability to develop coordination and the adaptability of your "muscle memory" you will progress.  Getting very good is open to debate as to inherent things, etc., and is a topic all its own.  I think however that your interest and dedication have to be there regardless of inherent ability or you will never fully realize your potential.

Don't worry too much if you are a little "lanky".  Look for ways to use your increased leverage and reach to your advantage and count them as blessings rather than curses.

pukdrummer

Ithink U guys are kind of forgetting one simple thing...its not the drumset that customize the drummer for play,it the drummer that costumize is own set!doesent matter if U are small and thin,or big and fat, or something else...
about the biceps thing,theres only one word to explain it...Relax! when U play drums, U play ONLY with your drumsticks and with your mind,your body is at their comand...dont push your body to much. ;)

guerrillawar

Quote from: timmy on February 06, 2003, 06:33 PM
i believe it may have something to do with metal kicking ars 8), and punk kissing it :-*...

Metal players work on drumming, not working out so they look good drumming...

and thats why we wear onions on our belts...yellow ones, as was the style at the time.....

so to get to the point...i believe it doesn't matter what your size is...unless of course you can't reach the drums...but i won't go there....

then again...maybe i'm just plain biased.

right on brother!!

Big Yummy

If you can, check out video of Stewart Copeland playing with the Police.  There's a lanky role model for you.

If you play hard, something's going to get sore.  Better your biceps than your hands.

The advice is always the same:  RELAX.  (Easier said than done.)

MOUSE

Check out Mick Fleetwood!
Bicepts are handy for lugging PA gear and drum kits.
Supple, relaxed wrists and technique are all that you need to play drums strongly. Being tall would be great visually as your drums are most likely going to tower over the band.
Me, i'm 5'4 and i like to sit behind and project out. Sound over looks.
"Can't reach the drums", i hate playing other peoples kits because of this, bloody uncomfortable.

huey

I'm a fat guy, you guys think that being a big guy limits your ability to get around the kit???

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: huey on February 13, 2003, 11:13 AM
I'm a fat guy, you guys think that being a big guy limits your ability to get around the kit???

Nobody thinks that if they've seen Dennis Chambers play.

Christopher

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on February 13, 2003, 11:31 AM

Dennis is a force of nature. I think God gave him some extra weight so he doesn't fly off like a helicopter.

Carn

If you can change the "extra" weight in "extra" speed it would be a good thing :)

Gill

Quote from: Ratamatatt on February 05, 2003, 09:06 AM
I think it has more to do with being 17.  Don't complain.  When you're 40 you'll be saying: "@$%# I wish I had my 17 y.o. body back."  - Ratamatatt

DUDE!  You are so right! I work out at a local college's gym, and I see these 19, 20, 21 yr-old guys hitting it...I'd like to tell them "don't EVER stop what you're doing right now".  It has been hard as hell getting it back.  I am almost 30 now...is there any hope?  Does it get worse? ugh

Andrew

I think there are definitely some common characteristics --

1 - The thickest part of my forearm is nearly as thick as my upper arm.

2 - If I pinch, a little muscle pops out at the juncture of my index finger and thumb -- kind of like a jaw-muscle

3 - There's muscle at the outside edge of my palm, under the pinky

4 - The pad of muscle on my palm at the thumb joint is bigger than that of my non-drummer friends

5 - My girlfriend swears that since I started playing more often, I've developed a bit in my shoulders. I'm not complaining.

Sean Welch

Quote from: Andrew on February 14, 2003, 12:01 PM
5 - My girlfriend swears that since I started playing more often, I've developed a bit in my shoulders. I'm not complaining.

My g/f commented on mine the other day - yet I've only been playing a few months (and haven't really been to the gym since a few months before that).  So perhaps there is some truth to that - go figure.

Erwtje

Yeah, my wife was really surprised the other day... she has been abroad for a few months (she is a writer and worked for a foreign magazine in that period)... So I had nothing better to do than play a lot of drums in that time  :-[

She noticed at once that I had grown some muscles... since I play a few hours a day again, I'm in a better shape than I've been in years...

Erwt

Ratamatatt

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on February 13, 2003, 11:31 AM

Ditto for Duffy Jackson.

Ratamatatt

felix

Since I got off the drugs and cigarettes I've noticed that my brain can process music stuff a little better.  I also have gained 20lbs (needed to actually).  Could be a function of better o2 turn around?  Don't know, but my stamina is great...My singer sweats like a pig and he's skinner than myself and I barely get warmed up during a rehearsal.  Heck by the time I'm warmed up everyone else is panting...it's funny.

The thing that kills me is development vs. age.

Do you guys find that age has anything to do with how fast you play, how smart you play, how you remember stuff, how quick you learn?

One glimmer of hope.  I think my left foot is slowly (and I mean slow) getting better on the giant steps twin effect pedal.  No pain no gain...you better believe I have been feeling the burn.

cavalier302

I don't think Dennis Chambers or his clone Carter are fat, but they are definately big and round. Abe Laborial though, I would say is fat. Of course being fat will limit mobility, it adds extra weight, but for some its obviously no big deal.