• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Upper Back Discomfort

Started by ahhthefoot, February 09, 2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahhthefoot

Lately I've been having upper back discomfort when practicing, specifically between the shoulders. I call it discomfort as opposed to pain, because its not so bad I need to lay down or anything, its just there. I practice in front of a mirror, so I know my posture is good, but it seems like it doesn't matter. The discomfort just comes almost all the time.

So does anyone have any idea what it could be and what I could do to stop it?

The only thing I can think of, is my job. I work retail, and stand on concrete floors for about eight hours a day in dress shoes, 4 to 5 days a week.

Jon E

If I had to stand on concrete floors for that long, I'd DEFINITELY be looking into some comfy shoes!!

Beyond that, is your kit set up in an ergonomically comfortable way for you?  Maybe some minor tweaking or repositioning mught help out too.

Maybe some stretching and limbering up before you get behind the kit too.

smoggrocks

standing all day tends to result in lower back pain.

maybe you're just developing some muscles in your upper back from playing. or you're pulling your shoulders up toward your neck without realizing it. focus on keeping them down and staying relaxed in your upper back when you play.

stretching and lateral pulldowns are good for warming up/strengthening these muscles.

Roger Beverage

A decent throne will help, especially one with a backrest. Maintaining even light contact with the backrest keeps you sitting up straight.
My favorite is the Roc N Soc, but thre are similar thrones out there.

It has made a world of difference for me.

Roger

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Roger Beverage on February 11, 2006, 07:17 AM
My favorite is the Roc N Soc, but thre are similar thrones out there.
It has made a world of difference for me.
I also work on concrete all day standing/walking in a warehouse....Good shoes made a huge difference. I found soft sole shoes and good arch support helped me withstand the turmoil of work.   :P  I love my Roc N Soc gas throne. My backaches were much less after a gig with a decent throne. They were both money well spent.....But for upper back pain I would look at how you set up and hold your arms while playing. Something as simple as lighter sticks may help also.  ;)  
Hey, I finally made a thousand posts!   :D  Welcome to Drummer Cafe.  8)

Robyn

Try this stretch:

Place your left hand on the back right side of your head (about 4:30-5 o'clock) and pull your head down and forward to the left. If you're doing this correctly you should feel a good stretch down the  back right side of your neck and down your upper back to the inside of your right shoulder blade. Repeat on the left side, with the right hand at about 7:30-8 o'clock), bending your head down to the right. Repeat this several times a day and hold the stretch for 30 sec at least. I've had problems w/ tension headaches for a while b/c I tend to pull my shoulders up and stick my head out while tensing my neck. A really competent massage therapist showed me this stretch and it's really helped w/ the headaches. Perhaps this same muscle group is what's causing you trouble.

robyn

Roger Beverage

Quote from: robyn on February 11, 2006, 05:07 PM
Try this stretch:

Place your left hand on the back right side of your head (about 4:30-5 o'clock) and pull your head down and forward to the left. If you're doing this correctly you should feel a good stretch down the  back right side of your neck and down your upper back to the inside of your right shoulder blade. Repeat on the left side, with the right hand at about 7:30-8 o'clock), bending your head down to the right. Repeat this several times a day and hold the stretch for 30 sec at least. I've had problems w/ tension headaches for a while b/c I tend to pull my shoulders up and stick my head out while tensing my neck. A really competent massage therapist showed me this stretch and it's really helped w/ the headaches. Perhaps this same muscle group is what's causing you trouble.

robyn

Thanks Robyn! I have a problem with neck and shoulder tension and just tried the above.  Got three or four nice pops
and felt muscles move around when I moved my shoulders.

Roger

lilblakdak

Your rounding your shoulders, and letting your head hang at an awkward angle. You'll get the same pain sitting at a computer all day. Get the backrest.

Robyn

I'm glad it helped Roger! :)

robyn

ahhthefoot

Thanks for all the responses, I actually noticed something over the last few days. I get it most when im working on hand technique, and while I'm working on that I'm constantly looking down at my hands. So I think its probably due to my head hanging at an awkward level for long periods of time.

smoggrocks

put a mirror in front of you, then, so you don't have to look down.

Louis Russell

The throne is the most important part of your kit.  You must find one that fits you.  The correct throne will be more comfortable, will make your playing better and you will enjoy it more.  I didn't spend all my money on cowbells until I had the perfect throne for me and my butt.  

Big Yummy

QuoteI get it most when im working on hand technique

I've had the same problem forever and I just recently developed a theory - I haven't had enough time to test it yet.

My drums are set up so I don't have to reach too far for anything.  That means the snare is quite close to my body, between my knees.

Recently, I looked at a side view of myself in a mirror and I realized that when I'm practicing snare work, the snare is so close to me that my elbows are further back than they should be and my shoulders are pulled back a bit, compressing the area between my shoulder blades.

I've decided to move my stool back about three inches, at least when practing snare work, to see if that helps.

There are other sources of back pain to consider.  Lack of sleep is a big one that's not obvious to most people.  So's dehydration.  Gas is another one - especially for someone who drinks a lot of carbonated beverages. (Burp.)  

And a BIG one is simply trying to play too hard, too fast.  RELAX!  (Easier said than done.)