• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Any thoughts on the Pearl Export Series

Started by manoktrain, March 23, 2002, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manoktrain

Thanks for all the help on different woods used on drums.

I recently found a 7 piece Pearl export with all the hardware and some low end zildjian cymbols for 450.

I was hoping to get some feed back on the quality of the Pearl Export series. This would be used for gigging and recording.

Thanks for the help again, and if anyone could shed some light on signs to look for to make sure that a drum kit is what the seller says it is that would help alot too.

Manoktrain :o

Misenko

Hey Manoktrain!

Well, I don't have a Pearl Export (as my own kit is a Premier) but I play on one every friday (at the local music project). Its a pretty nice kit, which is quite hard wearing as the thing has been pounded to hell for three years..often by punk band drummers (the heads often have blood on them!!!!!) and the thing is ALWAYS out of tune! >:( But thats only cause the heads on it are never tightened properly. The kit itself is really nice! I have found that the tom's are kind far apart for my taste however, the Export is a pretty industry standard kit and therefor is by no means low end. The price offered for that 7 piece seems great! Make sure you check the kit out before you buy it though just to see what kind of condition it is in and whether it has an niggeling little faults in any of its hardware. If the kit seems in good condition I think you have got a @$%# good buy there. The cheap cost of the kit will give you money left for buying good heads for it and buying good cymbals! ;D

I hope some of the Cafes Pros can add anything about there experience with the Export, cause I am by no means an expert on kits! Anyone with good info post it here! ;)

Misenko

Jazzman

Hi mankotrain and misenko, I have a 7piece white Pearl Export set and really like them.  Paid $800 for them without any cymbals from a good friend of mine.  He had 5 sets of drums, and I bought this set from him.  I think he played on them 3 to 4 times at his home.  Was new and are still in excellent condition.  You've got a heck of a deal there, and you will like them a lot.

I've had my set for about 8 years, that I use in my studio.  I'm happy with them.  Make sure there are no problems with them before you buy them.  

Good luck with them........
Jazzman 8)

ant_eh

Hey guys i also play a 5 piece Pearl Export, I bought it for $500, all i had to do is change the skins and i had a great sound out of the drums, I have had them for about 4 years and still no complaints out of me....

irishthump

I bought a brand new Pearl Export Select about 6 months ago. It's 5 piece 10,12,14,22 and matching 14 snare in Amber Mist. I had'nt planned on a Pearl, I played Premier from the start, but the Pearl offered the best package for the money. I changed the factory fitted heads for Ambassadors and the kit sounds fantastic, really cuts through. The kick is a 22x18 and packs a real wallop! The only difference with the Export select is that they come in laqcured rather than plastic wrap finishes.

BAnimalG

I love the sound and look of the Exports!  I kinda wish I had some!  They must be decent drums, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers endorses and uses them, along with many other artists!

search64

I recently ordered a 8 and 10 inch tom for my pearl export (old series), so in 4 months I have a 7 part kit. I still don't know how to mount the toms, so I haven't ordered hardware with the toms, but I think I'll do it like this: 8 inch on a cymbal stand, 10 and 12 in the bassdrum, 13 on a cymbal stand, and then the floor. Any thoughts?

search64

Would it be a good investment to buy ISS-mounts for my 12 and 13 inch toms? Right now, the arm goes through the shell. If I'd buy the ISS-mounts I would also have to buy shorter arms, and a small pearl set of plastic thingies to cover up the hole.

BAnimalG

I thinkit would be a good investment to buy them for ll you toms, but that's just me.  Better sustain that way.

search64

QuadGod083

Without actually seeing the kit, it sounds like you have a pretty good deal.  My first kit was an Export and now I play an Export Select.  If you put good heads on it, tune them well and take god care of your drums, you'll never have to buy another drumset.
--adam--

mateus

Quote from: QuadGod083 on June 05, 2002, 11:03 AMWithout actually seeing the kit, it sounds like you have a pretty good deal.  My first kit was an Export and now I play an Export Select.  If you put good heads on it, tune them well and take god care of your drums, you'll never have to buy another drumset.

Well, let's see something... I have a export select too and the kit is really good, but I disagree that you'll never have to buy another drumset... It depends on what you're working... 'cause in anyway the exports still lacks the maple, or birch, or mahogny, etc... still lacks good wood, wich in my ponit of view is 90% of the drums!!  ;)

Drumlooney

My first Kit was an export kit, It's probably the best entry level kit for the money now a days.  Pearl has really made the kit better since it first started and it probably due to the high number of exports they were selling. I have to agree with Mateus Borges, I know own a Pearl Masters kit, they are great sounding drums, so yes they is a reason to up-grade later on, better sound.  Still great deal on the kit, good luck with it.
;)