• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

possible to go wrong w/DW ?

Started by Rader_Ranch, April 17, 2002, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rader_Ranch

looking at (virtually, as it's on the other side of the country) a 1 1/2 tr/ old DW kit, 5 piece, for $1K...he hasn't mentioned exact model name yet, other than to say thin Maple shells, which i assume include most of their stuff. are there models of DW kits that should be avoided?

any opinions/info appreciated..TIA

Peter Jeffery

One of my heavy duty, two-legged high-hat stands busted at a show I played earlier tonite.   It's made by Pacific, which is a DW company.  -Ripped the bolts right off part of the footboard that clamps the heel down.   On closer inspection, I decided I couldn't take all the heat for the damage....the two bolts I broke are like thumbtacks.  

I love DW's but I think they're over priced.   Two of my kits are both Custom Maple Canwoods...they sound easily as good as DW's and cost about half the price.     Still, sounds like you're looking at a great deal.  I'd drop 1k on DW's in a New York minute.

SteveG

Rader_Ranch, some drummers will say avoid all DW products and that they were able to get a kit for half the price that sound better than DW's.  Good for them. Choosing drums is personal thing....whatever works for you.

The DW Collectors line was really introduced to me by one of their endorsers, Joe Morello.  I now have a set of Collectors along with DW hardware and have had no problems with any of their products (Peter, sorry to hear about the Pacific hi-hat problem - you might want to try emailing Patrick Duffy at DW about this - that is BS).

The kit you are interested in might be a "Workshop" Series kit which is used basically the same shell as the Collectors minus the re-inforcing hoops.  1K is very reasonable as long as the shells are good condition and are not out of round.

Rader_Ranch

thanx...this is indeed a Workshop series. my only other find at the moment in my budget (locally, which is no small difference) is a Yamaha Maple custom for a couple hundred more. only diff. between the 2 kits is 20" vs. 22" bd's. some poor misguided friend of mine wants me to play on stuff that might actually be heard by someone (so this is really a kit just for recording, versatility in tuning a big plus), and my 20-30 year old 1/2 Ludwig 1/2 Made In Japan kluudged, bludgeoned, thrown down many a stairwell, round as an amoeba smooth as splinters kit simply can't be tuned worth a @$%#...i therefore know that anything will be an improvement, but, being mostly clueless about new gear, i may as well make a somewhat informed decision. searches haven't been too successful for specifics yet.

thanx again!

Peter Jeffery

Quote from: Steve OReilly on April 18, 2002, 01:43 PM
 I now have a set of Collectors along with DW hardware and have had no problems with any of their products (Peter, sorry to hear about the Pacific hi-hat problem - you might want to try emailing Patrick Duffy at DW about this - that is BS).

Thanks, Steve.  If my retailer doesn't do something for me I'll contact Patrick Duffy.  If 'The Man From Atlantis' can't help me --nobody can!!   ;D

SteveG

You're welcome ang good luck!

Blake_N

The "discontinued" Workshop series are the same exact shells as the collectors(except for the reinforcement rings) You can order DW with or without them. The reinforcement rings actually make a higher pitched tone which i don't really care for. But anyways you can't go wrong for $1,000 trust me.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Blake_N on June 02, 2002, 11:58 AM
The "discontinued" Workshop series are the same exact shells as the collectors(except for the reinforcement rings) You can order DW with or without them. The reinforcement rings actually make a higher pitched tone which i don't really care for. But anyways you can't go wrong for $1,000 trust me.

Well, actually that's not fully true. When the reinforcement rings are used, it allows for few plys, which means a thinner shell, which means a deeper tone. It all depends on the number of plies in combination with or without the reinforcement rings. I don't think we can make a blanket statement that drums with reinforcement rings sound higher; there's too many variables ... some of which I haven't mentioned.

Blake_N

Well i guess you are right. But considering DW drums i know i am correct. If you play one with reinforcement rings and then one without i think you will find that this is correct. Also pleasenote that DW themselves also states the same on their website.