• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Jet Lag

Started by sjm1112, October 31, 2003, 06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjm1112

You would think after doing this job as long as I have, I would learn to cope with jet lag better. Its 430 pm in Alaska right now on the 31st of October. I left Japan the morning of the 31st of October the problem is that it was about 28 or so hours ago!!!!! Im dying!!! Any helpful hints here?

ritarocks

Eat some good food, drink a gallon of water, take some vitamins, do some stretches and go to bed for a couple of days.  

Bart Elliott

Jet lag, from the research I've read, is directly connected to your ears and the sound of the plane. The best way to prevent "jet lag" is to where some sort of ear plugs ... preferably the ones that "breathe" so your ears can adjust easily with the varied air pressures throughout the flight.

random

get in a big giant fight with a bunch of friends with you against a bunch of people you don't know.  helps me everytime! ;) ;D ;D

sjm1112

Quote from: Bartman on October 31, 2003, 08:57 PM
Jet lag, from the research I've read, is directly connected to your ears and the sound of the plane. The best way to prevent "jet lag" is to where some sort of ear plugs ... preferably the ones that "breathe" so your ears can adjust easily with the varied air pressures throughout the flight.

I wear double hearing protection in the plane..its rules for us. Jet lag is simply your bodies circadian rhythms all out of wack. Now its almost midnight and Im starting to wake up..not good. Thanks though guys for listening to me whine.

Bart Elliott

Well ... it depends on where you are flying to/from, how long you've been on the plane, etc. I don't think you can expect your body to just automatically adjust if you are crossing many Time Zones.

Here are some other things that I've read can help:

• Get plenty of exercise prior to the flight. Try to have all of your affairs in order so you don't get stressed out.
  • For many individuals, flying westward causes less jet lag than traveling eastward; this has been my experience.
  • The dry air in aircraft causes dehydration; drink lots of non-alcoholic fluids.
  • Exercise while on the plane. Take frequent opportunities to walk up and down the aile. Do some light stretching and twisting (even in your seat) to help keep the blood flowing, preventing swelling in the legs and feet. Also helps to reduce the possibilities of blood clots and associated trauma.
  • During extended stopovers on a long-haul flight, showers are sometimes available. A shower not only freshens you up but gets the muscles and circulation going again and make you feel much better for the rest of the flight. Many pilots swear by this.

Louis Russell

I was a professional pilot for 30 years.  There is no cure!  Plenty of water, a proper diet, and exercise (before, during, and after the flight) will make it easier to adjust.  

sjm1112

Thanks you guys. Ive been doing this long enough to realize there is no cure too. I think I was just out of my mind and wanted to complain. Sorry. Crossing that date line doesnt help one little bit. Took the practice pad and sticks this trip however. Pilots dont like having their seats used as a practice pad I found out! Bring out drumsticks in a cockpit and everyone gets nervous!!!LOL

MOUSE

QuoteFor many individuals, flying westward causes less jet lag than traveling eastward

Only way i can go is North  ::)

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Louis on November 01, 2003, 06:54 AM
Plenty of water, a proper diet, and exercise (before, during, and after the flight) will make it easier to adjust.  
Yes...and I'll add one more:  If possible under your circumstances, maintain a normal schedule that's based on the local time of the area you travel to.  This should help you recover more quickly as well.  As a member of the USAF I've traveled all over the world many times and now do a lot of CONUS flights.  Doing the things that Bart and Louis suggest, along with maintaining a normal schedule, offer the best help to combating jet lag IMHO.

James Walker

Being a notorious night person (if it weren't for the realities of earning money to pay the bills, I'd probably wake up every day around two pm and stay up every night later than Joe Walsh), I had a different experience with jet lag, following a two-week trip to Taiwan about six years ago.  

For about a week after getting back home (Connecticut), I was transformed into a morning person, in spectacular fashion:  every morning that week, my wife would wake up to find that I not only was awake before her, but I had a fire going, had coffee brewed, and a big breakfast ready for her.

I'm glad she enjoyed it while it lasted.  ;)

sjm1112

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on November 08, 2003, 10:23 PM
Yes...and I'll add one more:  If possible under your circumstances, maintain a normal schedule that's based on the local time of the area you travel to.  This should help you recover more quickly as well.  As a member of the USAF I've traveled all over the world many times and now do a lot of CONUS flights.  Doing the things that Bart and Louis suggest, along with maintaining a normal schedule, offer the best help to combating jet lag IMHO.

Oh if only mine were CONUS flights.

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: sjm1112 on November 09, 2003, 06:12 PM
Oh if only mine were CONUS flights.
I understand. ;)   I just got back from a six day TDY to S. Dakota.  I don't miss a beat (pun intended) on those short trips (comparitively speaking).  I now work in training, which is a nice break, so no more deployments, etc.  Heck, I did my time so I'm going to enjoy myself as I finish up my last three years before retirement.

sjm1112

Well enjoy, I have 9 more years till retirement, so I have alot of flying left to do. I shouldn't complain I retrained to this flying job!