• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

This biker gig. It just about killed me. Am I getting too old?

Started by data, July 31, 2006, 04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  That's the big problem in hot, humid weather. Your body absorbs water FAR slower than it can absorb it. I learned this when seriously bicycling in hot weather. Don't wait till you are thirsty to drink, by then it's too late. Drink as much WATER as you can at a gig right from the start in hot weather. Alternate water with a gatorade type drink.

51 and doing all the gigs I can get.

boomerweps

Jon

I'm 54 and still rocking and not in a chair :DI have plenty of water or gator aid nearby for dehydration.The adrenaline keeps me going even during tear down.I feel it the next day when trying to get out of bed.I don't drink BUT it still feels like a hangover!!!!

Big Yummy

I melt in the heat.  Always have.  I don't think age is a big factor.  I think it has more to do with your level of conditioning, what you're used to, and what you do to cope with the heat.

The important thing is to realize that heat is a big issue, and take constructive steps to cope with it.

Once you get overheated, you're toast.  It takes hours to get your core temperature back down.  And longer than that to feel normal again.

Mark Counts

Quote from: boomerweps on August 01, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  That's the big problem in hot, humid weather. Your body absorbs water FAR slower than it can absorb it. I learned this when seriously bicycling in hot weather. Don't wait till you are thirsty to drink, by then it's too late. Drink as much WATER as you can at a gig right from the start in hot weather. Alternate water with a gatorade type drink.

51 and doing all the gigs I can get.

boomerweps

I have got to agree boomerweps,
I am 45 and I sweat like crazy but I drink lots of water and Gatorade, Popel or some sports drink.
I alway run a fan, even in the air condition.  I have had problems with mild dehydration and heat
stress so I try to eat a banana a day and something that will keep the leg cramps down also is
one bottle of Tonic water on the day of the hot show. If you are an Ice Tea drinker or coffee drinker,
both of them are dieurectics.  Not the best thing to drink really to conserve water.  When I was
in a Navy engine Room that was 110 to 115 degrees we drank a lot of water and intentionally
salted our food.  Salt helps you retain water so you don't sweat it all out.  Sweating is your bodies
way of naturally cooling itself off but when you do you loose a bunch of salt and Gatorade and these
sports drinks replenishes sodium.  Eat good and salt your food just a bit and hydrate before, During and after you play. 44 is not that old, or atleast I didn't think so until I played a gig in a ball room that
we had to move all the equipment up 2 flights of stairs.  I will never take another gig with 2 flights of stairs, or unless we have some young 20 year olds to help.  I also have to agree with one of the earlier comments about packing up, moving, setting up, breaking down and unpacking wears me out
worst than anything else and my large drum kit is not the problems It packs up very nicely in hard cases.  I own the PA and none of it is lite.
                                         Nutty

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Quote from: drumnut1 on August 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
When I was in a Navy engine Room that was 110 to 115 degrees we drank a lot of water and intentionally salted our food. 

...my large drum kit is not the problems It packs up very nicely in hard cases.  I own the PA and none of it is lite.
                                         Nutty

Too much in common, Nutty.
I'm retired USN after 20 years on subs.
And ownin' & haulin' the PA is a real PITA.

Just Saturday our "soundgal" (fader pusher & can tweak the EQs) had probs geting my miced kick signal and had some bass guitar micing probs, too. They "fixed" the BG by  pulling the inserted comp out (unknown to me) and when she said no signal on the kick, I swapped to another snake channel not used since the full kit wasn't miced. Just checked today & found the probs. We insert comps on each desired channel. On the compressor the insert snake had two TIP marked plugs for in AND out on one comp channel & the other comp channel had two RING marked plugs for in AND out. Don't know who the "helpful" plugmiester was ;>(

boomerweps

Mark Counts

USS Yosemite AD19,  Flight Deck, in the Carribian. The Atlantic ocean.  The ships band was called Main Control,100 degrees with a wind.You know what I mean?

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/3120/fh0000086mj.jpg
My oldest son is on a sub right now out of Virgina Beach.
I have to work 12 hours tomorrow.
                                     Good Nite,
                                               Nutty