• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Gig kit" versus "Real kit"?

Started by chilledbongo, February 06, 2008, 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

Quote from: Chris Whitten on February 07, 2008, 12:24 AM
She endorses.......

I stand so corrected.  Sorry guys! And Hannah, I am sorry that I used the number 15. Ok, A bunch of companies. Since I have never had the pleasure or opportunity an of endorsement, I guess I should stay out of these conversations. And I hate to get just a bit off topic here but Hannah, this is awesome. Congats!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/watchlistdrummers/Hannah_Ford.html.

Nutty

Hannah Ford

Thanks Nutty for the congrats....I really appreciate it.

Apology not necessary....lol   ;)

Hannah

felix

David, I'm so glad you hang out here once in awhile.   :)

SteveR

Not so much a "gig kit vs. real kit". For me, it's more like a "nice gig kit vs. crappy gig kit".

I use my Yammy MC for the upscale corporate gigs and the Tama Imperial Star (that I bought in high school 25 years ago) for the bar/outside gigs.

I love my "crappy gig" kit because I can literally throw it in the back of my CR-V and be on the road less than 10 minutes after playing the last note of the night. Sometimes I even beat the singers and horn players out the door!   :)

Buddy Bryan

We play one or two gigs a month, more in the summer. I have 10 kits and 35 snare drums. I take out a different kit and snare depending on my mood. All but two of the kits are vintage, and most of the snares are too. All of these drums are highly prized and in top condition.

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

My best drums ARE my gig kit. My lesser drums are my practice kit and "sharable" kit for those kind of gigs.

Boomerweps

eardrum

Quote from: Budrock on February 12, 2008, 12:40 PM
We play one or two gigs a month, more in the summer. I have 10 kits and 35 snare drums. I take out a different kit and snare depending on my mood. All but two of the kits are vintage, and most of the snares are too. All of these drums are highly prized and in top condition.
Where do you live and what brand of door locks do you use ;)

Buddy Bryan

Brent Lee

I decided a while back that I wanted a "gig kit". I really didn't want to think about taking my Pearl Masterworks to a small gig and having to worry about them. Another reason that I wanted another good kit to gig with is because I keep the Masterworks set up for practicing and recording at my house. The answer for me was to buy a Pearl Reference kit. It's a great kit also, but it's a stock kit. For me, it's a personal thing not to haul my Masterworks around too much. The Masterworks ended up being more of a collector's kit to me than a working kit once I got it. I think that I could handle a scratch on the Reference kit a lot easier than the Masterworks... If all else fails... I break out my old reliable 1987 Pearl Exports! They have seen a gig or two!

Brent

felix

My gigging kits are really close in price to my studio kits and they are interchangable.

I have really enjoyed recording force 1000 and 3000 kits the past few years, albeit only a few months with the force 1000 kit.  Even though the F1K is a really cheap kit it does everything I want it to in the studio and live.  I did indeed have to find another snare drum, but no big deal- I had a few  ;D  Strangest thing I've ever experienced in my career to be honest with you guys.

It's funny that my most expensive drumsets are not doing it for me at all.   The one is buried underneath a stairwell and the other one has a bad kick drum head that keeps me from playing it. 

If I get a kit working I play the heck out of it.

JeepnDrummer

I have two high-end kits and both get used. I figure what's the point of owning them. I don't record. BTW, I play locally, so have no concerns about stagehand/roadie abuse, etc. My new-to-me Tempus kit will be my primary gig kit since it's nearly indestructible.

eardrum

Quote from: SteveR on February 08, 2008, 12:23 PM
............. Sometimes I even beat the singers and horn players out the door!   :)

Now that is something.  Some backup singers I've played with don't bring anything - I mean anything, and leave before the last cymbal crash.