• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Concert for George" DVD

Started by tkitna, February 21, 2004, 05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tkitna

First off, i'm a big Beatle fan but do yourself a favor and at least watch this DVD. This concert was arranged by Eric Clapton a year after Georges death as kind of a tribute with Georges closer friends that are musicians. Let me just list the primary  musicians that you would be watching-

Drums- Jim Capaldi, Jim Keltner, Steve Ferrone, Henry Spinetti, and Ringo. (main set was a Sonor and it sounded wonderful)

Percussion - Ray Cooper(amazing)

Keyboards- Gary Brooker, Chris Stainton, and Billy Preston

Guitar- Eric Clapton, Dhani Harrison, Albert Lee, Andy Fairweather, Marc Mann

Bass-Dave Bronze, Klaus Voormann

Various- Paul McCartney, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Joe Brown and his band, Jeff Lynne

The concert held true to Georges solo and Beatle tunes (meaning they sounded just like the originals) but there was an energy in the Royal Albert Hall that was off the scale. To have that many musicians at one time playing and sounding like one amazed me. The word professional was defined by these musicians.

I wont go into a huge review, but even if you dont care for George or the Beatles, just to watch the musicanship, I would still check this one out.

On one of the practice out-takes, Dhani Harrison stated that he only wanted to play a few songs but Clapton talked him into playing the whole show. Dhani stated that when everybody got together to practice, he felt so nervous and intimidated (9 guitar players at one time), that he figured he'd turn around and look at the drummers. When he did, he about fainted because there were four drummers clicking. I just smiled.

**One more sidenote, Dhani Harrison looks so much like a younger George, its almost haunting.

Hope you check it out.

robeb

I agree. I've watched that dvd 4 times and still can't get enough Keltner.

I love the way he lets other drummers hold it down while he flicks a cymbal or taps a tom here & there. It's easy to see why Porcaro called him the magician.

Snake

I'm usually not a big fan of those tribute concert DVD packages.  I have the SRV tribute video and it does nothing for me (and I'm a big SRV fan) - it's just not the same without Stevie.  But I've heard nothing but good things about the Concert for George DVD.  I might have to check it out.

Mightydog

Does anyone else think it's sardonic that Clapton plays after everything that Layla is about? What am I missing here?

Snake

They were very close friends for many years (decades actually) both before and after Clapton stole Harrison's wife.  I'm sure there were some rough times there for a while, but they worked it out eventually.

Mightydog

George was a bigger man than I would have been, I guess.