• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Playing sober v playing under the influence

Started by alanhodson, October 13, 2005, 07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanhodson

I can only play sober, I once had a couple of pints of beer before a gig to steady my nerves and unsuprisingly played rubbish so learned my lesson.Our bass player once played with a drummer who couldnt go on unless drunk and according to him the drummer played brilliantly. Any of you any thoughts on this ? I know that most of you are American so I've made allowances for the fact you may not know what real beer is !  ;)  :)

Rusty Beckett

Way back in my "using" days I didn't think I'd be able to play with taking something, be it a couple of drinks or smoking some pot.  Now that I've cleaned up I can't imagine playing under the influence of anything.  If I have something before playing the first thing that goes is my timing so I just don't partake . . .

I don't think it would matter if it was real beer or not, a couple of pints would put me on my backside.  ::)

felix

We have talked about this in depth here.  I personally can play drunk or on drugs and have quite a few times.  Would I want to go into a new situation with new charts or a new song I had never played before drunk or high- no way, I'm not that good of a player.

I'm not here to condone or condemn anyone's lifestyle but I think the majority of us would agree we play better longer when we are sober; combined with a good diet while maintaining our bodies with a healthy lifestyle.

Plus I hate to sweat and when I drink and play drums I sweat more- that leads to a whole other set of problems that I have to deal with.  I'm not a total stiff, but typically I just like to play sober.

PolyOstinato

Whether or not you "can" doesn't mean you "should" drink on the job (or get high, or do coke, etc.) If someone's paying you and you're partying, you're not being a professional.

Rick

Also, you may think, or feel like you're playing very well, but your bandmates may think otherwise... unless their drinking too.

I used to drink alot during gigs/rehearsals. I had a lot of fun doing it back then. Now I don't drink at all during when I play. I've realized I have even more fun sober, plus I don't tire out as quickly on those long nights or power sets.

Dbmetalmagic

If I have one or two it makes me a little bit faster or a little longer than I normally could, but after that I'm not satisfied with my playing because I have a tendency to forget certain parts, drop sticks, ect.  Now on the other hand, when I play guitar alcohol inhances my playing ability to an extent that I impress my band mates and others jamming around me.  There is just something about being drunk (or stoned) and playing guitar that brings out all the licks I forgot,as well as the feeling and mood of the music.

alanhodson

Thanx guys for your views, much appreciated. And thankyou Bart for the friendly message ! sorry you had to explain your actions to this dumb new starter to your forum ! Hey Ho as they say  :)

Jon E

"What's the use in getting sober, when you're gonna get drunk again?"
~Louis Jordan

x x
 |
__

Roger Beverage

Quote from: alanhodson on October 13, 2005, 07:57 AM
I know that most of you are American so I've made allowances for the fact you may not know what real beer is !  ;)  :)

Don't be misled by the national advertising of Budweiser and the like. My area of the country at least, abounds in local micro breweries whose product rivals the best European beers.  We also have access to Guiness and Bass, among others.

Back in my drinking days, there were bands that I played with that I wouldn't have been able to tolerate without a good buzz on.

However; now that I don't drink at all, I have found out that I play much  better when playing straight.

Roger

Chris

Quote from: Roger Beverage on October 17, 2005, 03:00 PM

Back in my drinking days, there were bands that I played with that I wouldn't have been able to tolerate without a good buzz on.

ah, a different matter entirely!

ddong

I'll drink after the second set. That way, it doesnt amount to much before the end of the gig. One thing I have found out, is that if I have even the smallest hangover at all, I SUCK. It happened once, and it'll never happen again.

Nathan Cartier

I find it very difficult to drink and play at the same time.  It makes me feel like i'm playing under water, and it's very difficult to move.  Sometimes I get nervous about singing my harmony parts, and once in a while I may have a very small drink (usually something mixed with water) just to loosen up and get over those nerves.  The more I practice singing, however, the less nervous I feel about it.

I feel that if people are paying to watch me perform, it's my responsibility to give them my best at all times.  I can wait and have a drink after the show, and it will taste just as good, if not better.

*edited for grammar

dmcc

I don't think I could play with a few beverages in me, like felix said I especially wouldn't want to be tackling new material under the influence.  Having said that I have had bandmates who would have one or two to loosen up before a show, and then play fine.  As far as nerves go I tend to find that once I'm up there I'm fine.

DWdrmr

I used to have a large cooler with a case of beer behind me whenever I played 10 years ago. Being a drummer,you're hands are full and it's hard to get a swig,but by the end of the night...I had managed to get mooorre than a "swig".....I drink bottled water these days when I play. I drink when I'm home listening to recreational music or watching the football game....Not on the "job"...after all,that's what it is.
You notice I never addressed the actual question of this post...... :P

DWdrmr

Am I a "post ender" or is it just my imagination......................

nudrum

TheBeachBoy

I've played drunk many times, however, that doesn't mean I played well!  Usually now I'll just have a drink or two beforehand as I stress out before the show. Our lead singer always asks me to do something at the last minute before every show.  I expect it every time, and I'm just a nice guy, plus it's for the good of the band, but lately I've been telling him no. He'll ask that I make up a set list at the last minute, or to make up a couple business cards.  I stress out, get to the venue later than I originally planned, have to set up really quick, I need something to calm me down.  Usually no more than 2 - 3 beers before a show, just enough to feel a slight buzz.

One time (well one time in particular  ;D), I got absolutely hammered.  Not wobbling yet, but good and sloshed.  Had about 10-12 Jack and cokes plus some beer.  We were hanging out at this 40+ bar that's next door to the restaurant our lead singer owns (It's the type of bar that divorcees hang out to hook up).  The music is supplied by a really good cover band.  The band had stopped playing and was long gone, and since our singer is friends with the owner of the bar, 3 of us went up to play.  I could not keep a beat to save my life. I had never been that drunk and tried to play.  It was horrible.  I should have just stuck to the keyboards upstage--at least those we could mute at the sound board  ;)

Quote from: alanhodson on October 13, 2005, 07:57 AM
I know that most of you are American so I've made allowances for the fact you may not know what real beer is !  ;)  :)

Hey, I love Guiness and Harp.  Black 'n' Tan is one of my favorites.  Grolsch isn't too bad either.  Nothing beats a Coors or Coors Light on a hot day--light and refreshing

Dave Heim

I'm not much of a drinker.   I like a beer now and then (Sam Adams and Molsen Golden are favorites) but I'm really more of a Pepsi guy whille on gigs.

We once had a guitar player who felt it was necessary to get wasted before gigs and on breaks.  The difference in his playing was hardly noticable.  It was his lack of professionalism when wasted that got him fired.

How's that joke go?  I only drink when I'm alone or with someone.

agogobil

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on November 19, 2005, 03:09 PM

How's that joke go?  I only drink when I'm alone or with someone.

or is it "I only drink on days that end in 'y' ".

TheBeachBoy

Some George Thorogood:
The other night I laid sleeping,
and I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's,
and his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah,
with nobody else

agogobil

He drinks alone
with nobody else
all by himself
He's b-b-b-b-b-b-bad to the bone

(ok ... sure)

:D

drumwild

I played REALLY drunk about 3 years ago.

The band was having some difficulties, but we seemed to be working through them. The bass player showed up to a gig trashed on JD. So I figured I'd start my drinking (I was prepared to start after the show). Besides, it was a crappy hole-in-the-wall venue (The Riverbottom).

I had a flask of Absinthe (Martin Sebor), so I drank half a Heineken, then poured half the flask into the Heineken bottle. Absinthe is really made for sipping, but it didn't stop me. I did this twice.

Remember playing "Sweet Emotion" as the sound check.

Next thing you know, I raise my head from the table. Everybody is gone. My drums are gone. Did I even play?

My g/f drumtech had loaded up the drums. Security helped me out the door. I asked her if we played the show. "Yes, and we video taped it."

Crap.

I couldn't get the nerve to watch it, but eventually I did after curiosity won the battle. It was musically OK.

But there was a problem. We were asked to do an encore and we played "Symptom of the Universe" by Black Sabbath. We had discussed this song in a rehearsal. The #1 guitarist said that he felt playing a metal song as an encore leaves people with the wrong idea of what our sound is about (he was more influenced by Radiohead).

We played the song anyway.

I see a discussion while they're playing. He's telling the #2 guitarist to take the lead. He says he doesn't have anything (I get this story from the #2 guitarist later). So we go through the guitar solo part with no solo.

He quit after that. He said he would if we played that song.

Had I not been totally wasted, we would have not played the song. But based on the video evidence, I was all gung-ho to play the song after it was suggested by the bass player (who quit 2 weeks later).

I guess it could have been worse. After watching it a few more times (and getting past the shock of it all), I noticed things that I felt weren't pulled off exactly right. I mean, it was good enough in my opinion (whcih doesn't matter). But I expect more from myself than that.

As Bermuda said at his clinic last night, those who think they play well when they're wasted are alone in their opinion. The video seemed OK to me, but who knows what others thought of it. The only thing I can say for sure is that I'm way happier with my sober performances.

The end result was that my playing was sub-standard. Even worse, I lost control of my leadership of the project and it all fell apart.

I'm playing a gig for my birthday. Two bands in a row. I might have a beer (as in ONE) between the sets. Nothing else when I'm on the clock.   It's Patron Silver shots after the last note, and not a note before.

orihood

I drink, but I have a self-instilled rule. I don't drink while playing. That includes practice sessions and gigs.

What I do afterwards is my business, but I believe practice sessions and gigs are not my time.....they are the "bands"!

I am fortunate to play with seasoned musicians who have also "been there", and none of them drink "on the job".

Any time you play under the "influence", its just that. Think about it.....

sterghios

Having lived over a third of my life in the land with the highest binge drinking rate in Europe (if not the world), run my own bar and done a few gigs, I gotta say that a little (<3 pints) can help you relax a bit, but more sends you off to lala land, and by that I dont mean Hollywood. That said, in one occasion I had 8 pints before getting on stage because the manager bought a round, the singer bought a round, the other bands' singer got a round... etc etc. so it can be pretty hard to survive the peer pressure.

That said, I still listen to the tape of that gig, cringe at some missed crashes, but gape at some breaks I know I'll never do again in my life. Still, missed crashes score more than flash breaks so I've decided to stay off the (heavy) boozage.

I'd say "so long as you know what you're doing" but reading a few alcoholism threads makes me want to withhold that statement....

JayB

I got to this thread kind of late... but I feel that jamming with a buzz is really refreshing.  Now, a serious practice is no place for it, but if we're just jamming it's fun.  Once we're at a show and we know the songs pretty well, we'll kill a couple beers to "put us in the mood" since we like to be in the same mindsets (or close to it) as our audience so that we can "connect" a little better.  Lately we've been doing a lot of slow, melodic and heavy "drug" music (as labeled by friends and passerbys) but sober as can be.  Think majorly melodic music such as the Moody Blues or Pink Floyd but mixed with newer elements like the Mars Volta.  That's what we've been playing... totally drug-induced sound, yet the only thing we're high on is the music.  Music is definately our drug, not our anti-drug, but actual drug, lol.  

DWdrmr

drumwild......I'm glad you're not here with me to hear how loud I'm laughing at your story(I'm not laughing AT you).....that is a true to life story if I ever heard one..especially, the "did we play???"..."yes,and we videotaped it"..the rest is hopefully a lesson to others to realize that this a BUSINESS.....how serious are we,as players?? That's really the bottom line. It's all about having "fun", but, when does the "fun" cut into your "business".....thanks for sharing..

Tae

I would advise not drinking at all considering the health risks, but what do I know I'm just a kid. My biological father drank and he also locked food in cabinets while my mother was pregenant with me and wouldn't allow her to eat unless he said she could( hence why she left him). Oh here is a fun fact, 85,000+ people die in the U.S from drinking, not including vehicle accidents caused by drinking or violence caused from drinking. Drinking is alright if you can control yourself. Seeing as a family member is in rehab for drinking and my favorite drummer died from drinking, my openion remains the same.

paul

I learned very early in my playing career that alcohol takes away my coordination pretty quickly, so drinking while playing has never been a problem.  I've gotten pretty hammered on a couple of occasions, and always regretted it later.

Subbing in with a lot of different bands I often find myself the only sober guy left at the end of the night, except for the occasional recovering alcoholic, who's usually on a sugar/nicotine high after chain smoking and chugging soft drinks all night.

I don't do soft drinks any more, either, so it's water and maybe a cup of coffee on gigs.  Makes the drive home afterwards a lot safer, too.

Once I get home all bets are off.

Tony

Here's a little bit of a fun fact.  Alcohol affects your eye-hand and muscle coordination.  Not an opinion, a fact.  Drumming requires both.  So, you know, take what you want from that.

Mark Counts

I have met great players that couldn't play anyother way but drunk.  Not talking about drummers in general but personally, I think that a few beers at practice is fine.  If you are getting paid to play out, it is a job and should be treated as a job.  No real job will let you drink on the job. As far as the drugs go, I don't play music with anyone that is into anything more than pot any more.
If there are other drugs in their life then their priorities are all messed up and you can't count on them anyway.
                                             Nutty

junglelord

i think a glass of red wine or one beer thats cool.... :D
maybe a joint... ;D
but thats all.... :-X
just to get relaxed...
not stoned or drunk... :-X
keep the party for later. ;)