• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Help Finding Yamaha MC "look alike" Lugs

Started by BigBillInBoston, April 07, 2004, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBillInBoston

After looking for over a year to find a 16x16 floor tom to match by "natural" maple Yamaha Maple Custom set, I'm contemplating investing a little money and working on an alternative.

A few months ago I bought from Ebay (for short money) a 16x16 Sonor Sonic Plus floor tom in a natural birch finish. It is actually a very close match for the natural maple on the Yamahas AND the existing "footprint" of the Sonor lugs is quite small...not unlike the Yamaha MC lugs.

SO...I'm thinking of finding some small brass colored lugs that are as near as possible in size, shape and color to the Yamaha MC lugs and replacing the Sonor lugs with them. Thereby, creating a floor tom that (at least from a distance) will look quite similar to my MC's.

Here's my questions...

1) Where might I find such lugs? (I did find some that look like they might work @  www.drumaker.com (item 1582br)).

2) Are there other potential problems with this project that I haven't tought of (e.g. size of old Sonor tension rods compared to size of threading in new lug)?

3) Should I find other activities to keep me busy so I would stop obessing about this ?  :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BigBill

Mister Acrolite

BigBillInBoston

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on April 07, 2004, 10:09 AM

Try  http://www.drummaker.com/]www.drummaker.com , and click on the "Complete PARTS GUIDE Online" link.

Thanks Keith, You'll see that I just modified my original post and noted that I had found some that look like they might work at this very site... item 1582br. They're small brass double ended "snare lugs" but they look like they could be used on just one end and they do appear fairly similar to the MC lugs.

Still be interested in any other suggestions.
BigBill