• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Drummers with diminishing public profiles

Started by Steve "Smitty" Smith, August 27, 2012, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve "Smitty" Smith

This is partially a "whatever-happened-to" post, but also a question about my perception of diminishing public profiles of certain drummers who used to be household names in the profession.

This weekend a friend showed my his pair of Trilok Gurtu signature sticks and asked who Trilock is. This made me realize that I hadn't even thought of or heard about Trilok in years.

Earlier today, I heard Danny Gottlieb's  name on a jazz station.  Again, I can't remember the last time I saw Danny's name in print or otherwise mentioned.

Finally, and to a lesser extent, it seems to me that Dave Weckl's profile has lowered considerably over the past few years.  He used to get a ton of exposure as a drum god in magazines and in the broader drum world, but not so much anymore.

Can anyone provide insight into the circumstances that lead to the diminishing profile of previously big-name drummers?  I assume the three drummers I mentioned above are still working.

Again, I realize that Weckl has by no means drifted into obscurity, but he certainly is not getting as much pub as he did just a short few years ago.

Thanks. 

Bart Elliott

I saw Danny Gottlieb last year at PASIC. He recently moved to the Nashville area by the way, but I haven't run into here just yet. He's been teaching as well as playing drums for Gary Sinise's Lt. Dan Band.

I too have not heard anything about Trilok in awhile.

Weckl is still playing, tracking drums at his home studio for anyone who wants him on their records, and is a regular participant of the Drum Fantasy Camp in Cleveland, Ohio.

The music industry changes, and current bands are always looking for the latest hot young drummer to hire. This has been going on since the dawn of the drumset. Pick just about any decade, from the 40s on, and I'll cite several drummers who were replaced by younger a drummer or a band where all of the musicians are older ... with exception to the drummer.

Steve "Smitty" Smith

Thanks for the info, Bart.

I do recognize that drummers get replaced in bands and time marches on.  I guess what I'm saying about Weckl (who is not attached to a band) is that, in terms of stature and public profile, he was pretty much right up their with Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Smith just a very short time ago.  While Vinnie and Steve are as high-profile as ever, Dave is considerably less at the forefront, and I find this really curious.  Perhaps this is his preference. Perhaps he's got a great thing going with his home studio and he or his agent (if he has one) has actively chosen to not pursue the extremely high-profile he had just a short time ago.  In any event, I'll bet he doing great.  I was just wondering.

Chip Donaho

Yes, it's a sad situation for older drummers. Here I have played drums for 50 yrs, have high end drums, and can't find a band to play with. Have played all forms of music over the years including classical music. I'm experienced in both live and studio recording situations. I feel like I have to pay a band to play with me.  :-[

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Steve "Smitty" Smith on August 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
I do recognize that drummers get replaced in bands and time marches on.  I guess what I'm saying about Weckl (who is not attached to a band) is that, in terms of stature and public profile, he was pretty much right up their with Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Smith just a very short time ago.  While Vinnie and Steve are as high-profile as ever, Dave is considerably less at the forefront, and I find this really curious.  Perhaps this is his preference. Perhaps he's got a great thing going with his home studio and he or his agent (if he has one) has actively chosen to not pursue the extremely high-profile he had just a short time ago.  In any event, I'll bet he doing great.  I was just wondering.

Before I respond, let me just say that in no way am I trying to diminish the art-form, skills and talents of other players.

While Steve Smith and Dave Weckl are world-class drummers, I don't think it's good to compare them with Vinnie Colaiuta. Each of these gentlemen, and many others, do what they do ... and their notoriety and/or time in the limelight is going to very. Nobody does what Vinnie does. Weckl is not a pop/rock drummer. Smith, while had his time with Journey, has grown away from the rock scene and focused on jazz and extended genres.

Vinnie is a bit unique in that he plays a lot of different styles in such a way that he is in more demand.

Personality has a LOT to do with it as well. If you are a good hang, easy to get along with, and bring a cool vibe to the band/group/session, you are going to get hired and asked back ... even if there's someone out there that may have great chops equal to yours ... or better.

Also, people make life choices that may differ from what the world thinks they should or shouldn't be doing. As we get older ... things often change. Heck, the music industry has REALLY change over the last decade ... and it continues to change.

Some musicians don't want to tour anymore. Some want to focus on family. Some want to stay close to home. Some made their money early in their career and choose to limit, or be more selective, who they play with. Some musicians can handle the rigors of keeping the calendar full as they get older. I could go on and on; hopefully you get the point.

I think Steve Smith has focused his energy into what he's really interested in and loves ... and that's predominantly his band, Vital Information.

Vinnie Colaiuta has really continued to do what he's always done.

Dave Weckl gained his notoriety while with Chick Corea. He has recorded and performed with other groups since that time, but for whatever reason is not in the public eye like he used to be. Nothing wrong with that; it is what it is. Only he can tell you if he wishes he was doing something else.

Think of it like actors and actresses. Many get famous from one role in a movie or one particular television show. Some meet their goal, whether it be money, fame, bucket list, whatever ... and move on to other aspirations.

On a personal note, I have made many changes in my life over just the last few years. I'm no longer interested in touring or trying to keep my calendar full with a bunch of gigs. There are more details in this respect, but I don't want to get into them here.  I have other things that I'm interested, and I'm glad that I do ... because there has been a HUGE decline in work for musicians over the last few years. If I hadn't broadened my abilities like I have, I would be stuck like so many musicians I know who have left the music scene completely ... gone to find any means possible to feed themselves ... and not in the music industry.

I hope all of this doesn't sound like I'm jaded ... because I'm really just trying to be real and honest.

Steve "Smitty" Smith

Really good insight, Bart. Thanks. It doesn't sound jaded at all -- just an honest assessment.  It saddens me to see what a struggle it is to make a living as a musician today.  It was already hard enough before all the recent major changes in the business.

Bart Elliott

By the way, Dave Weckl is currently on a clinic tour, along with Thomas Lang and Dom Famularo, in Australia for Drumscene magazine. Check the Drummer Cafe calendar for details.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

I imagine everyone reaches a point where you are as busy (or high profile) as you WANT to be instead of as busy as you HAVE to be. Some may never tire of that pace, others may.

On a side not, my profile is still as non-existent as ever!