• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Pajama Game?

Started by yankeeboy13, January 05, 2007, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeeboy13

This was selected for our school musical this year, and I'll be playing in the pit as the only drummer...for now. There are a lot of parts to cover, so I'll be pretty busy; luckily its mostly just set, but we'll be seeing how much my mallet playing is lacking  ;D. Should be a great learning experience for me (first time in a pit)

I've never even heard of the play until now. Anybody see/play any of the songs from it? We haven't had our first rehearsal yet, so I'll tell you how things go later on.

Dave Heim

Probably the most memorable song from that show is "Hernando's Hideaway".  Its a cute show.  Here's a listing on it from the Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050814/maindetails

Click the "Soundtrack" link on the left to see the songs.

Bart Elliott

I've not seen the play, but have seen the movie by the same title with Dorris Day. We even have an old LP of the soundtrack! Don't worry, it was my grandmother's LP originally.

FYI ... an "LP" means "long play" for vinyl recordings ... for you youths.  ;)

William Leslie

Was that the movie with the outstanding Rock Hudson? If so. I've seen it many times in my youth. I choked on that word, but it's all in fun.Doris Day was a great looking gal, Lady.

Marcos

Quote from: Terry on January 06, 2007, 01:40 PM... Doris Day was a great looking gal ....

her pipes weren't all that bad either.

William Leslie

That very well could be, but I wasn't really checking pipes when I saw her in that flick. But to each his own.(Said with a smile)

BigBillInBoston

Quote from: Marcos on January 06, 2007, 09:51 PM
her pipes weren't all that bad either.

To Marco's point and for those younger than I (almost all of DC nations  ;) ), Doris Day's first career was as a big-band singer. She did have great vocal pipes and had a number of hit records in the 1950's. (Actually eight  "millinon +"  sellers according to her bio). I also agree that her other pipes (used as a synonim for legs) were pretty nice.

A little more trivia from a "old" forum member. Dorid Day's co-star in the movie "Pajama Game" was John Raitt... father on Bonnie Raitt and the "gold standard" for being a leading man in a musical for many years.

BigBill

smoggrocks

i got this confused with 'the pajama party,' which my sis performed in high school. different plot line entirely.

doris day was so wholesome, man. or at least, she sure gave that impression. i used to love 'que sera, sera'. such a whoozy feel to that tune.

Ty Amplechuck

My school did the pajama game two years ago, and the music is pretty good. I played cello part on trombone (shortage of string players). The plot is sort of weird, but its a good show. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did.

yankeeboy13

First rehearsal was on wednesday....from what I hear so far the music seems pretty good. The only downside is the two auxiliary percussionists are actually sax players just helping out, with just minimal percussion experience. I'm running back and forth helping them with reading the music, tuning the timpani, marking parts/rhythms etc. but it's a lot of fun and they are getting the hang of it very quickly. 

Lael

Hey, think that it's pretty cool that you are doing The PJ game.  The Dillatantes' of Idaho did The Pajama Game as their annual production.  I was just lucky enough to be the pit drummer for most of the showings.  I would have to agree with Dave From Chicago that Hernando's Hideaway is pretty amazing...It was definitely my favourite.  Well, I just wanted to say 'have fun!!! (I did)'. 

Good luck!

<3 Lael