• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Pearl Drums in the 60s

Started by Bart Elliott, April 03, 2016, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Pearl Drums produced inexpensive drum kits back in the 60s that bore the brand names of more than thirty distributors — Maxwin, CB-700, Stewart, Werco, Ideal, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Lyra, Majestic, Whitehall, Apollo, Toreador, Roxy, and Coronet.

Did you OWN one of these cheap drumkits? If so, do you still have the kit?

By the way...

Pearl is celebrating their 70 Year Anniversary this year (2016). Technically the name "Pearl" and the company have been around for 70 years. Pearl didn't start manufacturing drums until 1950.

Louis Rushton

I believe I did,  But the name I remember was Jazz Crest it was my first set. My folks bought it for me around 1969 or 70. It was metal flake red 4 piece, I was very happy to get it but I also knew it was a beginner's set.
  I beat on it for about two years and I finely learned to keep a beat, got over the cross arm thing, LOL.
  I don't have it any more though, as soon as I was old enough to make money at the ripe old age of 15 I bought a used pearl set from a garage sale in the big city. Then I traded the Jazz Crest for an electric guitar and amp, and taught myself to play that as well.
  It's funny I just recently was looking at old family pictures and there it was my very first gig and my Jazz Crest, the one and only picture of it.

Jon E

My first kit was by Barclay.  Not sure if they were a Pearl child or not.
Here's a cool site about Japanese drums of the past.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/index.html

Bart Elliott

Nice, Jon! It would be great if you had a photo to share.

Jon E

I don't think they cameras back then!!

It was blue sparkle though.

Eric LeClair

Quote from: Bart Elliott on April 03, 2016, 08:33 AM
Pearl Drums produced inexpensive drum kits back in the 60s that bore the brand names of more than thirty distributors — Maxwin, CB-700, Stewart, Werco, Ideal, Crest, Revelle, Revere, Lyra, Majestic, Whitehall, Apollo, Toreador, Roxy, and Coronet.

Did you OWN one of these cheap drumkits? If so, do you still have the kit?

By the way...

Pearl is celebrating their 70 Year Anniversary this year (2016). Technically the name "Pearl" and the company have been around for 70 years. Pearl didn't start manufacturing drums until 1950.

Thx for the share Bart. I recently started getting into drumming. I own a Gammon but once I get good, I will definitely go for Pearl. I'm eyeing the 'clear' color set. Looks awesome. Or Ludwig as my second choice.