• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Starving after 4-setters

Started by DoubleC, February 09, 2004, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleC

I've been pretty busy lately playing in 2 bands doing a lot of 4-setters.  

I typically eat about an hour before I play to fuel up before the gig.  I''ve been coming home really hungry after playing for 4 hours and breaking down for 2 hours.  

I typically get home between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m.  I've heard it's not healthy to eat during those times especially before going to bed.  

The thing is I won't be able to sleep because the hunger will keep me awake.  

I'm not overweight and I'm trying not to be overweight.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for maintaining a healthy eating regiment when it comes to gig time?

DC

drumwild

We all know how athletic and physically taxing drumming can be. Approach it as if you're going on a double-century bike ride or you're about to participate in a full-court basketball game.

I make certain that I take vitamins regularly, especially before a show. Also, I use Smartwater (not the flavored one). It has potassium and other goodies.  Remain hydrated. I'll eat a few hours before the gig and then take along some type of Power Bar or Met-Rx bar for extra energy.

I also take along a little container of all-natural bee pollen (consult your physician before using). That stuff has real kick.

That helps provide the energy when I need it. Eating after the gig may feel good, but it's energy provided too late and is more likely to turn into fat.

Mightydog

I usually keep a low-carb/high protein drink around. A company by the name of EAS has a drink that tastes like flavored chalk

but it's reasonably high in protein. If you have one between sets, you'll have a chance to refuel a little and won't be too hungry by the end of the night. Also, with the lower carbs, you won't have so much of a crash and the end of the night.

I usually keep a couple of these in my equipment bag for use during the night.

nudrum

I was on a schedule that had me eating at about 10:00 and going to bed around 10:45. I didn't gain any weight and wasn't effected badly by it. My only thought was that I would get acid reflux. I didn't have that problem.
You are burning lots of calories playing and you should probably replace them. The challenge is eating healthy food and not stopping at the Krystal.
Have somthing planned to eat when you get home. It shouldn't be too much food. And stay hydrated, as has already been mentioned, during the gig.

Nick

Quote from: drumwild on February 09, 2004, 05:25 PMall-natural bee pollen

You mean Bee's produce pollen now  :o  :o  :o

At last we can get rid of those pesky flowers & get rid of garden misery for all…  ;)  ;D

;D

N

drumwild

QuoteYou mean Bee's produce pollen now

It's the raw pollen and not the processed tablets. I should have said it this way.  ;D

smoggrocks

salads, anyone?  ;)

actually, i love salads, but they tend to be the last thing i think to eat post-gig. i'm more inclined toward a fat stack of challah bread french toast with powdered sugar, strawberries, whipped cream and syrup. butter mandatory. follow that with a double hot chocolate.

i would probably be enormous if i ate this on a regular day, but i burn some serious calories at gigs, so i allow myself the indulgence. also, i tend to stay awake for several hours after a gig, so i'm not just lying there, stuffed.

admittedly, it's not the healthiest choice, but when i'm really hungry, i gotta eat.

a normal-sized greek salad with seltzer would be my second choice. ;D