• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Bottom Heads

Started by Chris Whitten, August 06, 2015, 02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Whitten

Hi All.
When did drummers start to use resonant (specific) heads?
I just can't quite remember when I first started as a pro, but I think we used to install a plain (batter) Ambassador on the bottom of our toms.
I'm thinking about exploring that sound, and wondered if Ambassador's top and bottom on toms would sound OK.
Heads are expensive, so I didn't want to go for it unless I understand what the outcome might sound like.
thanks.

Bart Elliott

Hi Chris!

I think having Ambassadors on the batter (top) and resonant (bottom) side is one of the best "middle ground" approaches and a fantastic place to start. It allows you to set a "standard" or plum line for your experimentation.

Using the Diplomat resonant head allows for more upper partials/harmonics in the pitch of the drum ... because the head is thinner. The thicker the head on the resonant side the more it rolls of the upper partials/harmonics. Coated heads on the resonant side warms the tone even more, rolling off those high frequencies.

If you want even less resonance without adding dampening materials, try a two-ply head on the resonant side.

Tony Williams (and now Steve Smith) have used CS heads on top and bottom; clear head with the black dot in the center.

It would be fun to hear what you decide on using!

Chris Whitten

Four or five years ago I used CS (clear, dot) heads on single headed toms.
I saw a lot of guys with CS Dot heads on double headed toms in the 70's. I should try it.
I guess a really fat tom sound would be Emperor batter with Ambassador on the bottom?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Chris Whitten on August 07, 2015, 05:04 PM
I guess a really fat tom sound would be Emperor batter with Ambassador on the bottom?

I think so.

Smooth white Emperor batters with clear Ambassador resonant heads on tom toms is considered the traditional "Nashville" sound ... here in Nashville.  ;)

A coated Emperor would roll-off even more high end, darkening the sound even further ... but for me, that's too much.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Bart Elliott on August 09, 2015, 08:25 AM

Smooth white Emperor batters with clear Ambassador resonant heads on tom toms is considered the traditional "Nashville" sound ... here in Nashville.  ;)

Verrrry interesting.
Gotta try it then.