• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Self-marketing: suggestions?

Started by Michael Beechey, March 01, 2013, 03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Beechey

I'm going on my own, to be teaching in my home studio. Anyone have suggestions re effective marketing on the cheap, ideas for "value added" to lessons, discount policies (prepay/siblings etc), use of social media etc etc etc?

thanks in advance!

Bart Elliott

Actually, I've got a lot of suggestions on all of those topics.  ;D  We should pick one to start with and go from there.

Let me start by saying that I'm working on a new drum / percussion teachers directory here at the Drummer Cafe. Not only will teachers be able to list their credentials and gain exposure through the longest standing drum/percussion resource on the Internet  :-*, but I will be marketing the teacher directory, much like what I've started doing with the Drummer Cafe event calendar.  There will be options to simply be listed in the directory (for a low annual fee), but also be a "Featured Teacher" on the Drummer Cafe where your listing will be highlighted around the site. Students will be able to search the directory to find a teacher based on location and/or instruments taught. Also, for Drummer Cafe VIP Members, there will be special offers and discounts on all services.

The Teachers Directory is still in development, but here's what it will look like:
http://www.drummercafe.com/educators-teachers/educators/drum-percussion-teachers/

This directory is going to be a great marketing tool, especially since Drummer Cafe already has a 16-year brand and web traffic, unlike many new websites dedicated to promoting music teachers ... not just drum/percussion teachers.

Michael Beechey

Quote from: Bart Elliott on March 02, 2013, 06:25 AM
Actually, I've got a lot of suggestions on all of those topics.  ;D  We should pick one to start with and go from there.

Let me start by saying that I'm working on a new drum / percussion teachers directory here at the Drummer Cafe. Not only will teachers be able to list their credentials and gain exposure through the longest standing drum/percussion resource on the Internet  :-*, but I will be marketing the teacher directory, much like what I've started doing with the Drummer Cafe event calendar.  There will be options to simply be listed in the directory (for a low annual fee), but also be a "Featured Teacher" on the Drummer Cafe where your listing will be highlighted around the site. Students will be able to search the directory to find a teacher based on location and/or instruments taught. Also, for Drummer Cafe VIP Members, there will be special offers and discounts on all services.

The Teachers Directory is still in development, but here's what it will look like:
http://www.drummercafe.com/educators-teachers/educators/drum-percussion-teachers/

This directory is going to be a great marketing tool, especially since Drummer Cafe already has a 16-year brand and web traffic, unlike many new websites dedicated to promoting music teachers ... not just drum/percussion teachers.

Thanks Bart....would you have time to do a quick read-over of the draft of a business plan I'm working on? If so PM me and I'll send it.

Tim van de Ven

You can also use FaceBook adverts to your advantage; I've used them and I was able to target specific cities and age groups with my ads. If you can direct them to your website or your FB Fan page, that will help you greatly (in your local market) as people need to see something for clicking on your advert.

Do you have your own website?