• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What you listen to for inspiration.

Started by Paicey, December 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paicey

Whenever i read Modern drummer i like to read what drummers mention as inspirational listening. Id like to read what the individuals on the forum have listened to for inspiration over the years.Me?
Deep Purple Machine head- Ian Paice.
Captain Beyonds debut recording..Bobby Caldwell
Led Zeppelin...all...i forget the drummers name ;)
Grand Funk Railroad-Were an American band..Don Brewer
Black Sabbath Vol-4 Bill Ward
Santana-all--various but Michael Schrieve is my fave.
Three Dog Night- all- Floyd Sneed
West Bruce and Lange- Corky Lange
Billy Cobham Spectrum- Billy Cobham
Tommy Bolin- Teaser- Jeff Porcaro, Narada Michael Waldon- Jan Hammer

Jon E

Depending on my mood the current inspiration may change, but over the years I have been inspired in some way by (in nop particular order):

Buddy Rich
Terry Bozzio-UK, etc.
Bun E. Carlos-Cheap Trick
Bill Bruford-UK, Yes, etc.
Charlie Adams- Yanni
Dave Abbruzzese-Pearl Jam
Greg Bissonette- David Lee Roth, Maynard Ferguson, etc.
Stewart Copeland- Police
Alan Myers-Devo
plenty of others.

Todd Norris

That's a hard question for me.  What kind of inspiration are we talking about?  If it's solely in the drumming sense, then, for the most part, anything with drums or percussion in it will perk me up and want to play. 

Listening to my favorite drummers or even just my favorite musicians in general always elicits some type of emotional response depending on the artist and my mood. 

Patrick Quigley

The Chariot and Showbread always pump me up from an energy and intensity standpoint before shows.

Dave Heim

Old Hal Blaine stuff.

Steve Gadd on Chick Corea's "Three Quartets"

Any Buddy Rich. 

Any Louie Bellson.

Any Don Brewer.

Any Karen Carpenter.

donelk

In or particular order...

Gadd
Garibaldi
Sonny Elliott
Philly Jo
Keltner
Harvey Mason
Morello

Giraffe Drummer

Terry Bozzio
Bill Stewart
Philly Joe Jones
Tony Williams
Questlove
Roy Haynes
Steve Gadd
Bob Marley
Bonzo
Myself! Listening to myself inspires me to keep working hard

Todd Knapp

Depends. If I'm looking for pure drummist inspiration, I listen to great drumming performances.

However, more and more I've been looking for inspiration in music that I don't usually listen to, which may or may not contain drumming - at least of the Western drumset persuasion.  I've been delving into the Classical catalogue, and various musics from around the world like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Eastern European folk music (crazy time signatures...) African musics of various kinds, etc.

jmichael

Lately for me it's been Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) for inspiration on rock playing and great fills and Peter Erskine for jazz inspiration. 

I listen to and am inspired by so much music that it would be impossible to list all, but when I really feel the need for a kick in the arse, I grab something by those two guys.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Dave Heim on December 15, 2008, 04:02 PM
Old Hal Blaine stuff.

Steve Gadd on Chick Corea's "Three Quartets"

Any Buddy Rich. 

Any Louie Bellson.

Any Don Brewer.

Any Karen Carpenter.
I'm with you Dave.... Good stuff.  ;)

Danno

Quote from: Paicey on December 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

Led Zeppelin...all...i forget the drummers name

My big laugh for the day. Sweet!

To get myself musically inspired (in my case jacked up) it's Zep, Bad Co/Free, Montrose, John Fogerty, Foreigner, ACDC, that kind of thing. Blasting vocals, inventive or iconic drums, heavy guitar. And nothing too cerebral - if I need cerebral I read a book.

Paicey

How could i have forgotten to mention Dire Straits-Communique-Pick Withers!!.

Zappa-fan

With my band we are experimenting with some odd meter stuff (a tune in 7/8 and a tune in (|: 12 /8 | 11 / 8 :| ). Kicking in an open door, but Zappa and lot of old fusion stuff (Mahuvisna, Weather report) are a big inspiration. I also like the work of Mike Keneally a lot. Also like to listen to one particular song performed by different bands. Analyzed Mercy, mercy, mercy performed by Cannonbal Adderly, Buddy Rich Big band, Dave Weckl with the Buddy Rich and more and then try to understand the different approaches, creativity and grooves.

René

Terry Williams was my first drum hero, cause of his Keith Moonish kind of playing. But over the years I listened more and more to Pick Withers. Each time I listen to him I here something new. I have the live CD with
him playing the earlier Dire Straits stuff. Highly underrated drummer IMO. Is he still drumming?