• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Mallet Control by George Stone

Started by Bart Elliott, January 31, 2002, 04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

With so much discussion on Stick Control, I thought I would mention Mallet Control. Has anyone ever worked out of this book or own it?

I have this book and used to work out of it some as an undergrad. I didn't really care for the book much, and it never really caught on ... especially nothing like Stick Control.

Incase you've never seen Mallet Control, it's basically Stick Control applied to the mallet percussion.

Here's another thought. Many of you play other instruments besides drums (ie. guitar and piano). Have you ever taken a method book that was meant for one instrument and applied to another? Mallet Control would be an interesting book to apply that concept to, especially for Bass players. Although the book is written in Treble Clef, a bass player could use the sticking variations like how Abraham Laboriel (bass) does with Paradiddles using his thumb and fingers.

For the non-mallet player, you could take the Mallet Control book and apply it to the drumkit by assigning the pitches to the drums and/or cymbals. I use this same concept with Charlie Parker solo transcriptions; taking the solos and applying them to the drumset. Often times I'm playing the contour of the melody lines, not actually trying to play a specific drum for each specific pitch. There are more pitches than drums (typically) so one drum will have to cover several pitches. Ahhhh .... this gives me an idea for your Octabon owners!  :o

Just some thoughts .......

James Walker

QuoteWith so much discussion on Stick Control, I thought I would mention Mallet Control. Has anyone ever worked out of this book or own it?

Sorry, I've never used it.  For "chops" builders during my student days, I relied upon the Phil Kraus books (two-mallet), the Stevens book (four-mallet), and Buster Baileys' "Mental and Manual Calisthenics" mallet book.

Based upon your description of Mallet Control, it sounds like the Bailey book accomplishes the same sorts of goals, however it was created specifically for mallet players, not an adaptation of another percussion method.

QuoteHere's another thought. Many of you play other instruments besides drums (ie. guitar and piano). Have you ever taken a method book that was meant for one instrument and applied to another? Mallet Control would be an interesting book to apply that concept to, especially for Bass players. Although the book is written in Treble Clef, a bass player could use the sticking variations like how Abraham Laboriel (bass) does with Paradiddles using his thumb and fingers.

Nothing like that for me, in terms of copping material from another book - for those sorts of exercises, I tended to create my own based upon whatever technique was involved (sequential stickings, double stops, etc.)

I have, however, used other instruments' texts on mallets, including:

- Rhythmical Articulation (Pasquale Bona) - vocal text
- Arban's book (trumpet)
- various flute and violin texts, etudes, and solos
- various bass-clef-instrument books, for reading and sight-reading purposes

In these cases, I would just take the exercise(s) and etudes, and simply play them as well as I could on marimba - no serious restructuring of the material a la the Abe Laboriel example above.

Bart Elliott

For "chops" builders during my student days, I relied upon the Phil Kraus books (two-mallet), the Stevens book (four-mallet), and Buster Baileys' "Mental and Manual Calisthenics" mallet book.
I love all of these books, which were my mainstay.

I own all three of the Phil Kraus books, but mainly worked out of Volumes 1 and 2. Didn't do much with Volume 3, 4-mallets ... since I felt I was back tracking.

If anyone out there needs a recommendation on some good books for mallet study ... these are the bomb.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=drummercafe-20&creative=9325&path=external-search%3Fsearch-type=ss%26keyword=Phil%20Kraus%27%20MODERN%20MALLET%20METHOD%26index=books]Phil Kraus' MODERN MALLET METHOD
  • Volume 1 (Elementary)
  • Volume 2 (Intermediate)
  • Volume 3 (Four Mallets)
All three books use a progressive lesson play combining Technique, Theory and Harmony for the Vibes, Xylophone or Marimba. Highly Recommended

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=drummercafe-20&creative=9325&path=external-search%3Fsearch-type=ss%26keyword=Mental%20Manual%20Calisthenics%20Elden%20Buster%20Bailey%20%26index=books]Mental and Manual Calisthenics by Elden (Buster) Bailey is a collection of 249 technique-building exercises and 34 special contemporary (Jazz) studies for the advanced mallet player. Highly Recommended

[size=-2]Buster Bailey is a percussionist from the New Youk Philharmonic Orchestra and instructor at Julliard School of Music. He was my teacher's (John Kasica) teacher.[/size]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=drummercafe-20&creative=9325&path=external-search%3Fsearch-type=ss%26keyword=Method%20Movement%20Marimba%20Leigh%20Howard%20Stevens%26index=books]Method of Movement for Marimba by Leigh Howard Stevens is a collection of 590 exercises focused on a classical approach to Marimba. This book contains numerous pictures and extensive examplanations to Leigh's unique 4-mallet grip and technique ... now known as the Stevens Grip.  Highly Recommended

[size=-2]Leigh Howard Stevens is often viewed as THE premier 4-mallet (6-mallet) classical marimbist. The "Buddy Rich" of the marimba if you will.[/size]