• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Band Reunion

Started by Adam's Dad, January 20, 2006, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam's Dad

This past Sunday, I was part of a reunion of a funk/horn band I worked with back in 1973, when I first moved to California.  The reunion was the idea of the 'bone player who wanted to celebrate his 50th birthday by reuniting the band.  

We managed to find about 15 guys who had played in various versions of the band from about '72-'75, including 6 horns, keyboard, 2 bass players, guitar, vocals and yours truly on drums.  You wouldn't believe how good we sounded just reading charts and jamming.  30 plus years of musical maturity really makes a difference.  We knocked out tunes from Tower of Power, Chicago, BS&T, and a hot version of "Play that Funky Music" that got all of our wifes and party goers up on the dance floor (actually just the grass in the backyard...BTW this was in San Diego where you CAN plan an event like this in the middle of January and be assured of great weather.)

Well, the whole event really didn't sink in till Monday when we all started exchanging emails and pledging to do this kind of reunion more often.  Reconnecting with these guys after 30 years was just magic!  I'm looking forward to our next get together.

The Gretsch was provided by a friend in San Diego...very cool!  20" BD, 10,12 deep toms,14x14 floor tom with Evans heads, and 6.5x14 Yamaha Steel SD.  (Thanks, Gary)

Jon E

That is fantastic!!  I bet it was balst.  I know *I* would be a much better player NOW then I was 20+ years ago.

There have been a few emails thrown back and forth from some of my old bandmates lately too.  We first got together in 1981 and played colleges and clubs for about 5 years.

We're fairly well scattrered about the east coast these days, but one guy is still living in our old stomping grounds.  Maybe a reunion will come to fruition.  Who knows?

Drumlooney

Wow John sounds like you guys had a blast, it must have been surreal and I'm sure you all sounded a lot better after all those years.

smoggrocks

proof that you're never too old to rock 'n roll... or funk out.

supah-cool! must've been a blast.

Tae

Thats awsome, Its cool that you guys got to see each other again after being away that long of a time.