• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Name The Drummer

Started by Dave Heim, November 28, 2006, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Heim

Anybody doing the "Name the Drummer" contest from Cascio Interstate?  I was about to pitch the catalog into the recycling bin a couple of days ago when I decided on a whim to see how many drummers (on the cover) I could identify out of 53.  I have one left (#43)!  I'm not really a contest guy - but its been fun.

maktub

Here's an idea; Lets do that kind of thing on here. Someone posts a picture of a drummer, and the next person answers who it is and posts another picture. I'll start.

One of my favorites:

Dave Heim

Quote from: maktub on November 28, 2006, 11:46 AM
Here's an idea; Lets do that kind of thing on here. Someone posts a picture of a drummer, and the next person answers who it is and posts another picture. I'll start.

One of my favorites:

Chad Smith poking himself in the eye with a drumstick.

EDIT:  It's certainly not my call, but this might not be a very 'bandwidth friendly' thread.  :)

Stewart Manley

Wow. Some of those photos are old. Billy Cobham looks about 30!

Dave Heim

Quote from: moosetication on November 28, 2006, 01:56 PM
Wow. Some of those photos are old. Billy Cobham looks about 30!

Yeah, some are from odd angles, too.  Interesting exercise.

Todd Norris

Yeah, I submitted that.  I had about 4 that I couldn't name.  I found a few by scrolling through drummerworld.com!  Who are the ones on either side of Mangini? 

EDIT:  I dug mine out.  I missed more than I thought.  The ones I didn't get are #43, 53, 45, 10, 3, 6, and 40. 

Dave Heim

Quote from: Drum4JC on November 28, 2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I submitted that.  I had about 4 that I couldn't name.  I found a few by scrolling through drummerworld.com!  Who are the ones on either side of Mangini? 

EDIT:  I dug mine out.  I missed more than I thought.  The ones I didn't get are #43, 53, 45, 10, 3, 6, and 40. 

#53 is Glenn Kotche.  #45 is Sonny Emory.  #3 is Chris Hesse.  #6 is Richie Flores.   The rest I'm not positive of.  I believe #10 is Tony Verderosa and #40 looks to me like it might be JoJo Mayer, but its a weird angle so I'm not sure.  #43 is a mystery.  I thought maybe it was Evelyn Glennie (or maybe Rod Morgenstein with eyeliner!), but I don't think so.  :)

Todd Norris

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on November 28, 2006, 09:55 PM
#53 is Glenn Kotche.  #45 is Sonny Emory.  #3 is Chris Hesse.  #6 is Richie Flores.   The rest I'm not positive of.  I believe #10 is Tony Verderosa and #40 looks to me like it might be JoJo Mayer, but its a weird angle so I'm not sure.  #43 is a mystery.  I thought maybe it was Evelyn Glennie (or maybe Rod Morgenstein with eyeliner!), but I don't think so.  :)

Thanks Dave.  I should have gotten Kotche and EMory.  The others I wouldn't have gotten.  I'll have to google those 2.  Man, I don't see #40 as JoJo!  Yeah no clue with #43, I made a "WAG" with Vera Figeuredo for that one. 

Dave Heim

Yeah, I was thinking it looked a little like Vera, too.  I went back and forth between her and Evelyn Glennie and ended up thinking its not either of them.  If anyone wants to wager a guess, we're looking at mystery drummer/percussionist #40 and #43 from here:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/InterstateMusic/ims/html/drummercontest/drm_contest.html

I still can't stop thinking it looks a little like Morgenstein with eyeliner!  :)  And frankly, that's creeping me out.

smoggrocks

40 looks like robby ameen to me. 43 is really tough. my first thought was sylvia cuenca, but the person in the pic looks a bit older. maybe a straight-haired sue hadjopoulos? mmmm. probably not.

a puerto rican chrissie hynde? an italian kristy mcnichol? lol!

i'm stumped!

Dave Heim

Quote from: smoggrocks on November 29, 2006, 03:53 PM
40 looks like robby ameen to me. 43 is really tough. my first thought was sylvia cuenca, but the person in the pic looks a bit older. maybe a straight-haired sue hadjopoulos? mmmm. probably not.

a puerto rican chrissie hynde? an italian kristy mcnichol? lol!

i'm stumped!

I'm beginning to think #43 is a gal from the art department at Interstate!   :)

Stewart Manley

It looks a little like Cathy Rich.

smoggrocks

Quote from: moosetication on November 29, 2006, 05:01 PM
It looks a little like Cathy Rich.

ya think?

i was just looking through a cathy rich photo gallery and she doesn't look anything like that. and i didn't know she was a drummer.

cool that!

Dave Heim

I think #43 will forever remain a mystery!  That's a tough one!