• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Apparently, I'm old now

Started by Paul DAngelo, June 14, 2012, 12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul DAngelo

My band has had a regular gig in Old Town Alexandria for over a year now.  The drive there is over two hours for me, so on the way home I stop at a convenience store in Fredericksburg (about half way home) to get a donut and some coffee for the rest of the ride home.  There was a young guy behind the counter, looked to be in his early twenties.  He's one of those friendly cashiers and asks me what brings me out at this time of night.  I told him I had just finished playing a gig in Alexandria.  He said "a gig?" and I told him I play drums in a rock/blues band and I was on my way home.

He looks at me and says, enthusiastically, "Awesome man,  and YOU'RE OLD!!!  Most old people are at home watching TV or something; that is SO AWESOME that I'm going to give you your coffee for free".

So, I guess I helped this guy realize that there is life after OLD.  Plus, I dub him the "left-handed compliment " champion for last night.

Stewart Manley

That's a "back-handed compliment" where I come from.

We oldies should stick together.

Paul DAngelo

Ahh Steward buddy, so good to hear from you.  I checked out your website and see you're still playing.  Most excellent! 

Now that's at least two colloquialisms we've reviewed:

"Good for you" vs. "Good on you" 
"Left-Handed Compliment" vs. "Back-Handed compliment"

We'll have to continue a conversation in person some day . . . .

Mike Noll

Had an older gentleman come up to us after a gig a few years back and say "I've seen a lot of bands in my day, both good and bad... and you guys are certainly one of them!"     

We still quote him to this day - all-time classic pseudo-compliment! 

Peace,
Mike Noll
Nate Myers & The Aces
http://www.natemyers.com]www.natemyers.com

Louis Rushton

Hey Paul, It is an amazing thing, people's perception. Even mine. The only thing I keep thinking about is the free stuff or discounts you can get. A reward for being old. You scored coffee. right on.

Jeff Johnson

I notice that you are from outside of Charlottesville.  I am in Richmond, but go to Charlottesville once a week or so.  I should stop by and see your band play sometime.  I guess your band plays "oldies"?  - haha

Jeff

Scott Hutton

That's halarious  :D I guess any compliments a good compliment.

Paul DAngelo

Quote from: Jeff Johnson on June 20, 2012, 09:06 PM
I notice that you are from outside of Charlottesville.  I am in Richmond, but go to Charlottesville once a week or so.  I should stop by and see your band play sometime.  I guess your band plays "oldies"?  - haha

Jeff
Yes indeed.  We play oldies.  I play on a really old drumset.  I myself am now approaching old.  Are you old enough to come and see us?  ;D 

Unfortunately, I'm the only band member that lives in Central VA so you'll have to travel to Alexandria, much like myself, in order to see the band.  You are most welcome.

We will have to card you though . . . . . .

JeepnDrummer

That's funny, Paul.  I think I told you some years ago that I'm from that area.  Wish I knew you were playing in Alexandria as I recently visited family in the area.  It would have been nice to meet you in person and hear your band. 

Jeff Johnson

Quote from: Paul DAngelo on July 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yes indeed.  We play oldies.  I play on a really old drumset.  I myself am now approaching old.  Are you old enough to come and see us?  ;D 

Unfortunately, I'm the only band member that lives in Central VA so you'll have to travel to Alexandria, much like myself, in order to see the band.  You are most welcome.

We will have to card you though . . . . . .

Sounds good.  Most of my gigs are in DC, Nova, and MD.  We play the Carlyle Club in Alexandria about once a month.  Maybe I can catch your band after the last set at the Carlyle (if we are playing on the same night). 

Jeff