• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

A Band's level of acceptance

Started by oxford, May 18, 2005, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxford

I play in two classic rock bands. They are both trio and all musicians are in their 40s and have played in many bands and clubs over the years.

Band A is kinda like a go-cart race on ice. Tempos change constantly, songs are played too fast, and for my ears it's all pretty ragged and bangs along. But they love it and our band friends think it sounds "awesome". I listen to it in my isolation headphones and cringe alot. I could cover a tempo variation of 15 bpm and they would never notice.

Band B is like the Blue Angels in a precise formation executing a 6 G turn in formation at MACH whatever. If I come out of a fill a little to fast on any song, I am politely told about it. These guys are making me a better player.

Funny how some guys just wanna rock it out and not worry out the "small stuff" and other guys want to polish to a bright shine.

Ever played in bands like these?

B

I too play in a 'Band A' & a 'Band B' and sometimes the 'Band A' is sort of a release. The other one can be pretty intense sometimes. But I still love both of them. :)

taterocity

I'm actually in a very similar position, except from a more occupational perspective.

Band A is a good ol' 4 piece hard rock band with somewhat inexperienced musicians (except for the lead who I've played with many times over the years and is one of my closest friends).

Band B is my pride and joy 3 piece metal (prog, some say) that has the most talented musicians I have ever played with and the classically-trained bassist (that's right) occassionaly has better time than me.

My problem lies in the fact that while Band B is the more creative, talented and technically challenging band to be a part of, Band A is more likely to be successful (at this point in time). We've just made more industry connections and progress with Band A but the feedback I've received from non-partisan friends is that Band B is just all-around better. I'm not complaining, I play in two great and promising bands. But time will tell I guess. All that matters is fun and technical progress. Both of which I get in truckloads.

Mark Schlipper

My bands have always been a bit of both.   We're B in rehersal and A live.   Though not really to those extremes.   In writing and rehersal we work for a good cohesiveness.  But when playing out, worry about it less and focus more on the energy generated.   Which works well for me, the more honed we can get in rehersal, the less effort we'll need to be that honed live.  

Jon E

It can be funny too sometimes that "Band A" (the crappy one) gets all the gigs and better pay!!

Go figure!

JeepnDrummer

Yes, I was in a band like your Band B first.  They were all very talented and precise, and playing with them definitely made me a better drummer.  However, something was missing.  I often referred to the music as "canned," meaning that it didn't have a lot of life to it.  Then I joined up with another group very much like your Band A.  This group is fun, easy going, and where everyone can spread their wings.  The problem with this group is that progressing musically to the next stage has been difficult.  Ideally, I'd like to have a middle ground between the two bands.

Scheming Demon

I'm a Band B guy all the way.  I can't be a full time member of a Band A.  I have filled in on a temporary basis for a couple of Band A's and it was fun but I could never be happy playing full time in that type of band.  I would always be pushing to get better and once you're used to playing at a Band B level it's hard (impossible for me) to be satisfied with anything less.  Band A would probably start to resent the added pressure.  That's why I just fill in, keep my mouth shut and go home and everyone's happy.

Filacteria

Filacteria is a Band B ensemble all the way through.  Just download some of the stuff - you'll see...

www.filacteria.com
www.purevolume.com/filacteria

oxford

WOW not my taste in music but you guys are smokin tight. Very nice!

DanMarg83

Quote from: Filacteria on June 06, 2005, 03:40 PM
Filacteria is a Band B ensemble all the way through.

Oooooh, me likey.  :P  I might just haveta' look into getting your albums.

Panhormonia

as long as you get the crowd going during a gig then they wont notice small fluctuations in volume/bpm etc....its on the records where everything has to be perfect

although its nice to play a gig where all is regimental, the main thing is enjoyment for both the auidience and the band

ben

Quote from: Filacteria on June 06, 2005, 03:40 PMFilacteria is a Band B ensemble all the way through.  Just download some of the stuff - you'll see...

I really like the opening and main part of the song Libre. Very good, fluid and tight drumming.

Filacteria

Wow - thanks for all the nice words...!

Scheming Demon

I too think your music is killer.  I'm not into the demon vocal style but the music is very tight.  Muy bueno!