• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Damaged Tama Tension Watch

Started by Donald Mcnany (boomerweps), July 03, 2009, 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

I can tune adaquately so I'm not in major trouble there. But...
My Tama Tension Watch took a dive in it's plastic case about 4 feet off a shelf while I was rearranging stuff the other day. Went to check the tension on my 8x8 tom's heads before swapping out the rims and found the tension Watch to be damaged. The pointer shaft rubs and the spring tension doesn't return the shaft to zero. No padding the case of course so I suspect the base to dial assembly is bent imperceptably. I took off the top pin cover to move the shaft and also took off the dial back cover. I put machine oil on every possible rub point. It moves a tiny bit easier but the spring pressure doesn't move the shaft ;>(

Any hope or suggestions, beside the trash bin?

Boomerweps

Big Yummy

How about taking it to shop that repairs watches and clocks?

Dave Heim

Those drumhead tension devices are essentially "home versions" of hardness testers called durometers.  You might try contacting a local industrial supply firm.  They might be able to provide you with a suggestion for a repair facility.

http://www.buydurometers.com/durometers/?referrer=adwords&gclid=CMfYjMSvxpsCFQoMDQoduVswAg

skn

Dudes,

recently got my hands on a 2nd hand tension watch. It looks brand new - boxed and manuals everything. I didn't use it for a while, but on its first use I noticed that the needle it very tight. I have to push it to give me any type of reading. Thinking it was odd, I check how to use the watch on YouTube - the needles on their tension watches move fluidly to give small readings. I can't seem to get mine to achieve this, and figure it's actually damaged.

Has anyone found this or been able to fix it?

ebay purchase, so I could complain but y'know... may as well try to fix it as it seems very well looked after.

Thanks in advance.

J Bones.

Bart Elliott

skn,

My first guess is that the device was dropped or received a blow that caused the needle to be misaligned or caused the backing to move so that the needle now rubs.

If you are desperate and have no other possible repair solutions (like sending it back to the manufacture to pay for repair), you could try CAREFULLY opening the device to examine more closely.

skn

Thanks Bart,

Will let you guys know the prognosis...