• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

FAT!

Started by Drumwiz, June 22, 2006, 05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumwiz

I was just wondering how people think the BEST way to lose fat is? And i am thinking NON dieting way-i want something like physical exercise etc... See im 18 and somehow i ended up with a beer belly already haha im not like obese or anything-just a bit chubby, whats the best way to flatten my stomach, thin out my face and tone up my arms? I bet i would probably be a tiny bit better drumming if i was a little more fit. Any specific exercises, equipment etc. again, its not like i need to lose over 100 pounds or anything, actually probably like 25-30 at the most, so just something quick and good for that range. would be greatly appreciated thanks.

will_tm

I would second what Pirate Pig said about diet. A poor diet is normally the reason that people put on weight. Proteins will help you if you are doing exercise as they are more easibly turned into muscle. I would recommend cutting fats in your diet to a minimum and eating a well balanced diet with suitable quantities of carbohydrates (bread, potatoes etc) and proteins (red meat) for your build.
However as it sounds like you are trying to lose weight rather than bulk up too much I would recommend cardiovascular exercise (something that will get your heart pumping). Running and swimming are very good at this. Try going running or swimming for about 45 minutes every other day to start with and eventually building this up to every day. If you start off trying too hard and running miles and miles every day you will burn out very quickly so start slow and then build up the quantities of exercise. Exercising will increase your fitness and will help you to lose weight. Obviously weight loss won't happen over night and flash dieting is a bad way of losing weight as it is artificial and the weight will come right back on.
Hope what I have said will help you in some way.
Will

bigdrums

Two great posts already.  What more can be said? All il try to do is abbreviate.

1. Balanced diet.
2. Exercise.  (This actually can be enjoyable once you start!)

It's really that simple.  Good luck.

Dave Heim

I had a personal fitnes test done recently.  The goal is to drop a few pounds and lower my BP. 

They check BP, resting heart rate, flexibility, cardio-vascular fitness, body fat.  From those tests (about 40 minutes), they produce a baseline report of your current fitness level and make recommendations for getting back on track.  In my case the plan is 20-30 minutes of cardio (treadmill/eliptical machine) 3-5 times a week, along with a series of strength training exercises they selected for me.  Those come to another 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times per week. 

smoggrocks

tres simple.

fewer calories in + more calories out = weight loss.

there are 82 billion approaches for how to do that, but at the end of the day, that's really what it boils down to.

go to a doctor first, then a nutritionist, so you can reach your goals in a healthy and enlightened way. crash and fad diets are no good. you'll wind up fatter.

Louis Russell

Quote from: smoggrocks on June 23, 2006, 09:30 AMfewer calories in + more calories out = weight loss.

there are 82 billion approaches for how to do that, but at the end of the day, that's really what it boils down to.

Now there are 82 billion and one!   ;D

You are about to have the opportunity to preview my new diet revolution.  A calorie is any of several approximately equal units of heat, each measured as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C from a standard initial temperature, especially from 3.98°C, 14.5°C, or 19.5°C, at 1 atmosphere pressure.  Next since the normal body temp is 98.6 my theory is to eat a lot of ice cream.  Your body will use heat to raise the temperature of the ice cream to 98.6 and expend calories to do this.  My theory is that if I eat ice cream that is really cold, the more ice cream I eat, the more weight I would lose.  So far it is an easy diet to stay on but I dont seem to be losing much weight.   ;D

TheBeachBoy

Quote from: Louis on June 24, 2006, 09:20 AM
Now there are 82 billion and one!   ;D

You are about to have the opportunity to preview my new diet revolution.  A calorie is any of several approximately equal units of heat, each measured as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1°C from a standard initial temperature, especially from 3.98°C, 14.5°C, or 19.5°C, at 1 atmosphere pressure.  Next since the normal body temp is 98.6 my theory is to eat a lot of ice cream.  Your body will use heat to raise the temperature of the ice cream to 98.6 and expend calories to do this.  My theory is that if I eat ice cream that is really cold, the more ice cream I eat, the more weight I would lose.  So far it is an easy diet to stay on but I dont seem to be losing much weight.   ;D

I guess I'll have to eat nothing but ice cream all summer long, since it gets really hot here!

b-rad

one word ....boxing

Robyn

My one word is:
                                     walking!
Better than running because it's just as aerobic and you won't bust up your knees. If there are some hills or hiking paths in your area, so much the better.
Good luck!

robyn

Nubert Thump

Having recently lost over 30 lbs. let me tell you what I have found that worked for me. First you must include at least 30 miutes of aerobic exercise per day. It does not have to be very intense, as a matter of fact less intense is better as you will burn fat not glucose(sugar) for energy. I find using a heart rate monitor very helpful for this. The book I found most helpfull for this was "The Maffetone Method: The Holistic, Low-Stress, No-Pain Way to Exceptional Fitness" by Dr. Philip Maffetone. Next, diet--I have found that trying to restrict calories does not work in the long run and what really matters is not how much you eat but what you eat. I discovered that eliminating processed foods and eating only whole foods(mostly vegetables, fruits and nuts--I do not eat meat) made all the difference for me. Eliminating white flour from my diet made a big difference. I found the book "Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss" by Joel Fuhrman, MD was a method I could live with. I do not think this is for everyone but I must say that for me, and I'm 54 years old and in better shape now than I was in high school, it is working very well.

I hope this helps. Good luck.  :)

pohsoonteng

Start changing your diet... Eat healthy, cycle at least 10 miles on weekdays and at least 20 miles on weekends in the hills. All those climbs will get your abs working...

Later66

play some hockey.........you sound like my friend zach. i took him to hockey six days a week all summer and he's lost 16 lbs already. PLUS he made his college hockey team and he never even skated before this summer lol

MVanDoren1

Now exactly what is burned, fat or sugar in the blood, I can't say for certain but my doctor says in response to my trying to lose weight, that I excercise plenty- I gotta cut back on intake.  He then says that a 150 pound man running for one hour will burn the same number of calories as the same person who drinks 8 32 oz. glasses of iced cold water per day.  thats a lot of water and I haven't succeeded in that goal but the amount of calories your body will have to expend simply in keeping warm due to all that cold fluid burns what you'd run in an hour.  He was emphasizing that you can work like a dog or simply (yeah... right) change one habit and achieve the same goal.  Of couser drinking water (and I'm not advocating the water diet) does nothing for endurance, muscle tone etc.  This probably though utilizes more sugar consumption rather than fat burning but I can't say for certain.

Louis Russell

Quote from: MVanDoren1 on August 29, 2006, 02:33 AM
He then says that a 150 pound man running for one hour will burn the same number of calories as the same person who drinks 8 32 oz. glasses of iced cold water per day.

And you guys thought my ice cream diet was a joke!   ;D