• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

New Studio Gear

Started by felix, October 21, 2005, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

So I bought myself a present for my bday and it came via ups a couple of days ago.

Finally had some time in my bizzy schedule to hook it up and take some pics.

It's a pair of Neumann V476B preamps  that are racked up and ready to rock.

These are in the fine tradition of Tab and Telefunken broadcast modules and jeez louise, this is one heavy box!  The switches and knobs have a very heavy industrial feel- they really built these things to last.

And you can see the modules here:

Wired up (with mogami cable they tell me)

And here it is pumping some signal into channels 5 and 6 of my focusrite A/D converter * I love this stuff*
Nice little 3 way low pass switch at 80/140/ and flat "line" (at least that is what it sounds like, these things don't come with manuals!  First impressions are excellent!  I can't wait to antagonize you guys with some more of my lousy drum tracks- soon I hope!

Drumlooney

WOW!!!! :o

I'm drooling over here!!

Tony

I got 2 words:  I'm Jealous!

Drumlooney

Felix how do you like the Focusrite A/D converter?  

felix

Hey Jose and Tony- always great to say hi to you guys.

I have to admit the AD's in that focusrite are rated as high as if not higher than the apogee stuff *now this is from a recording forum I hang out at now and then (they think I'm an idiot there btw also) All I can say is that between the focusrite and the alesis converters (which I think are darn good) it's all I'll ever need.  I think the sound is better than the 24 bit motu I used to run- noticably better.

But personally since I started going digital into my lowly adat XT I am shocked by the results: I'm getting *I'm almost sure of it* noticably better sound even at 20 bit 48Khz.  My studio is very quiet without the 2 other hard drives spinning as well.  I'm really hearing the detail now.  If I get another ADAT I'm pretty sure I can digitally buss from the 1st adat into the second from the master adat without getting behind the machine.  Which I think is great considering what you can pick up a lousy adat for.  So I'm pretty geeked

B

Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2005, 08:57 AM
I got 2 words:  I'm Jealous!

Actually T-dawg; that's 3 words  ::)

Drumlooney

Quote from: felix on October 21, 2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Jose and Tony- always great to say hi to you guys.

I have to admit the AD's in that focusrite are rated as high as if not higher than the apogee stuff *now this is from a recording forum I hang out at now and then (they think I'm an idiot there btw also) All I can say is that between the focusrite and the alesis converters (which I think are darn good) it's all I'll ever need.  I think the sound is better than the 24 bit motu I used to run- noticably better.

But personally since I started going digital into my lowly adat XT I am shocked by the results: I'm getting *I'm almost sure of it* noticably better sound even at 20 bit 48Khz.  My studio is very quiet without the 2 other hard drives spinning as well.  I'm really hearing the detail now.  If I get another ADAT I'm pretty sure I can digitally buss from the 1st adat into the second from the master adat without getting behind the machine.  Which I think is great considering what you can pick up a lousy adat for.  So I'm pretty geeked

Hey I know another reputable drummer in this forum who still records in Adats and loves them.  It's the whole tape thing man and considering you can get an XT 20 for like $250.00 (I payed $2,000 for mine when it came out) it's not a bad option.

jokerjkny

yowza!

got anything recorded yet?  would love to hear what you're gonna/doing with them.  8)

Tony

Quote from: Last Night in Lyons on October 21, 2005, 11:52 AM
 Actually T-dawg; that's 3 words  ::)

That's all you have to contribute?  An English lesson?

felix

I wish I was doing some recording.  As it is,  I've taken about a month off of playing because of my job and the move.  So I've been slowly getting back to the drums- it has NOT been pretty  ::) So on that note when I feel I have something worth anything to share I will!

felix

he he he. "T-dawg" LOL  I wouldn't advise calling Tony that!