• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The band RUSH

Started by tamadrumster, November 03, 2005, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chefdoug

I beleive it to be a Count Basie tune. Neil played that song on Burning for Buddy vol 2. The end of the solo is the end of One o' clock jump

Bart Elliott

One O'Clock Jump is Count Basie ... and that's the recording he used to use during his solo, until he recreated the parts and no longer used the Count Basie Band.

Rhyvven

Correct all around on Count Basie...junglelord I was not implying it was a "krupa" song, sorry if it read that way. I meant to point out that Krupa "inspired" rather than Buddy.

junglelord

thanks.
i could use a few history lessons  ;)

Mark Counts

Rhyvvan,
I like a bunch more drummers besides Neil Peart.  Neil did
do a Tribute To Buddy Rich because I have it on my computer.
It maybe Buddy at the end or Gene at the end and to me it really doesn't matter. It was Neil playing drums, and it sounded
fine to me.
                        Nutty

JamesC

Alright, I just got the DVD last night (along with my new Yamaha RC Cherry Wood 16" Floor Tom at Guitar Center  :) )

It's about what I expected.  Another item for the box of "when I'm in the mood for Neil Peart or Rush" goodies.

I have to say, however, that I think A Work In Progress had the vibe of having more effort put into it.  This seems a lot more just thrown together.  But hey, I'm still glad to have it.

It's fun for a longtime fan to hear some of the guys "secrets" - how he triggers some stuff, how he synchronizes his playing to the stuff on the screens at the concert during his drum solo, etc.

The most surprising thing to me is to hear just how TIGHT the guys drums are cranked.  I'm personally a snare cranker - a'la Stewart Copeland, etc.  I just like it cranked.  Neil's toms are so cranked, it's a trip.  You don't notice nearly as much during Rush tunes, but when all you're hearing is the drums, it's apparent how high those drums are tuned.  The 10" tom sounds like a timbale or something.  In fact, the top 4 toms sound more like what I'd expect from my old drum corps quad player buddies than from a drumset.

I can't really comment on the swing stuff as mentioned above.  The guy is a rock drummer, and that's what he plays well.

His style is very much *his*, and I appreciate it for that.

I also dug the interview with the recording engineer guy who goes back to the late 70's - interesting insight on recording philosophies back then vs. today.

Seeing his drums get setup was interesting - that drumset is totally insane.  I can't really think of the drums in that way - such a huge monster, but again, it's him, and it works for Rush.

Almost forgot - I have an older (not really older in my mind - 5 years or so) TV, and all of the titles are chopped off of the left and right sides of the screen.  I've never seen this happen with other DVD's before.  Makes me wonder if my whole viewing experience of the DVD is chopped off!

You won't catch me buying all the latest audio/video gadgetry.  If I did that, how could I afford a new floor tom after all!!!

[EDIT: I finally got to the adlib sections of the DVD where he plays some tripletty stuff.  I have to admit, he doesn't "own" that stuff like he does his 16th/8th note based rock stuff.  So I do see what Bart is referring to, and if he's giving a total impartial review, I see where he's coming from.

I do admire that Neil Peart is not afraid to put it out there for viewing anyway, and makes a couple decent sized mistakes and doesn't try to hide them away, edit them out, etc. - showing that he's just playing around and he's "one of us".]

efaubert1

I started taking snare lessons when I was 8 years old in 1974, listened to a LOT of Jazz including Rich and Krupa. Heck, my first set of Ludwigs were December 66 Oyster Pearl 4 piece jazz set. As much as I enjoyed learning to play Jazz, I was drawn to Peart because of his tight, precise, never varies from one performance to the next perfection of HIS music. And I enjoy RUSH, so it goes hand in hand why I like him.

I agree he don't got that schwing, but the man can truly rock. I watched the video and truly enjoyed it. And I do enjoy other players styles, Bozzio, Portnoy, Copeland and even Zorro, plus many others.

And Bart, I think you were fair in your review, which is all one can hope for, an honest opinion of a formally trained percussionist. Kudos, I still like you.