• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

hit deer with car

Started by hankster, November 19, 2005, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankster

coming home with the family , we hit a big buck head on.  no one hurt but car needs new hood, windshield, possible bumper, headlight  assembly. buck's antler poked hole in windshield on my side.  airbags didn't deploy but it smells like gunpowder in car. we hit deer near our home around 5:30 pm , too dark to find deer. i'm going to look in AM.

drumwild

Wow, that's terrible!

My brother was speeding on a country road and hit a German Shepard going about 80. Totalled the car.

And my uncle hit a cow with the station wagon. You don't wanna know.

Stewart Manley

You've actually been lucky in a way. Deer strikes can total cars and hurt passengers. Problem is, the car takes the legs out from under the animal and scoops it up and, as you've discovered, it then goes up the hood and into the windshield. It can end far worse than that if they come in through the shield.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: moosetication on November 20, 2005, 05:06 AM
You've actually been lucky in a way. Deer strikes can total cars and hurt passengers.
A friend was coming home from the mx races at dusk. Two deer ran in front of her small van. She completely totaled her vehicle to an unrepairable state. It came through her van window, blocked her steering/vision abilities, and she crossed two lanes of traffic just missing another vehicle. Her van rolled and she slid into a tree.... This all happened at 70 mph.... She was lucky and got by with only a broken arm. Count your blessings, it was an unfortunate incident for both you and the animal. There was a story on TV the other night about people hitting deer. The number of occurances and injuries/lives was incredible.   :P  I'm happy to hear you're all ok tho.   ;)   Did you find the deer?    ???

Dave Heim

Dang.  I'm glad everyone is OK.

nudrum

I hit a deer 15 or so years ago. totaled the car, it was so dark we couldn't find the deer either. I'll always remember slamming my foot down on the pedal to try to avoid hitting it. Turned out later it was the clutch!

Had to have the police give us a ride home, about 30 miles.

It was our only car at the time. I don't remember how we made it to a car dealer to buy a new one. Probably got a ride with a friend.

I now always honk my horn at the first sight of a deer. They always run away.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: nudrum on November 20, 2005, 09:02 AM
I now always honk my horn at the first sight of a deer. They always run away.
I've done that also and had them stop, turn, and double back right in front of me. I had that happen this last summer and it was so close to impact that I had tail marks in the dirt/dust on my truck. I knew it was a close call, but when I got home and seen those marks I realized how close it was.    :o   When I spot one I always look for the second one. It seems like 90% of the time they run in pairs.   ;)

drumwild

That phrase "Deer caught in the headlights" came from somewhere.

nudrum

Quote from: Chip71 on November 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
I've done that also and had them stop, turn, and double back right in front of me. I had that happen this last summer and it was so close to impact that I had tail marks in the dirt/dust on my truck. I knew it was a close call, but when I got home and seen those marks I realized how close it was.    :o

Never had a suicidal deer! That would be scary.

Quote from: Chip71 on November 20, 2005, 09:17 AMWhen I spot one I always look for the second one. It seems like 90% of the time they run in pairs.   ;)

Me too

Ranman

Quote from: nudrum on November 20, 2005, 10:25 AM
Never had a suicidal deer! That would be scary.

They are afraid of the dark and think your headlights are daylight and run towards them (Like a moth with antlers)!

Roger Beverage

Quote from: Ranman on November 20, 2005, 10:54 AM
They are afraid of the dark and think your headlights are daylight and run towards them (Like a moth with antlers)!

I can't see how they would be afraid of the dark since they are nocturnal by nature.  

I have had several near misses, I am always on the lookout for them since there are now more of them in suburban areas than the deep woods.  I see them  almost daily on my way to and from work, about a ten minute drive- especially at the peak of hunting season, which is right now.

You will see them in groups in the dead of winter, when they herd up. In the spring, the appearance of a deer crossing the road will usually be followed by a fawn or two.  Bucks always travel alone.  Does will travel in twos or threes.

Roger

Ranman

They eat at night because it safer.
When they are frightened and confused by a cars headlights they run towards light because thier minds tell them its a better choice than towards the dark much like moths. Both often perished doing this.

They think its daylight on the "other side".

hankster

deer update. went looking for the deer. found where it landed and thrashed but it must of high tailed it into woods.  there is one very sore deer in there . i did take a stroll just inside the woods. the woods are about 250 yards from road.

Dave Heim

They tend to be most active around dusk and dawn (crepuscular).  I see them popping out of the woods here just after dark.  It's not uncommon to see a doe crossing the road, followed by a fawn.

smoggrocks

doh! a deer...   ;D

it's amazing how the deer population has soared. i see them splayed out all the time along the side of the highway.

i know of at least one dude that hit a baby one. he had that thing slung upside down in his backyard within minutes. friggin' gross!

glad you're ok, hankster. it definitely could have been much worse.

ZekeCrumpton

deer smeer, here in alaska we have to worry about Moose. and with icey road there is no way to stop

drumwild

Quote from: Zeke_Crumpton on November 21, 2005, 07:31 PM
deer smeer, here in alaska we have to worry about Moose. and with icey road there is no way to stop

In Holly-vood, ve havvv to vorry about moose und squirrel.

Chip Donaho

drumwild.... That's hilarious....    :D

DRWM

I'm glad you and your family are ok.  Cars can be replaced, but people.... you know what I'm saying.

mroberge

Quote from: drumwild on November 19, 2005, 10:53 PM
My brother was speeding on a country road and hit a German Shepard going about 80.

I never seen a Shepard run that fast  ;D