• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Music Therapy

Started by Bart Elliott, July 04, 2002, 09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Does anyone have an interest in Music Therapy? More specifically, using drums and percussion in working with people who have mental and/or physical ailments.

Talk about your interest in this field of music. Perhaps discuss how to get into the industry as a profession, or just how we can apply it to our daily lives.

There's a fine line with this topic as it relates to spirituality ... which can then lead to religion and religious beliefs, which are VERY personal. In an effort to not get into religious or political debates on a drum forum, let's not get too specific ... and thus refrain from attacking another member's belief system. Share what your experiences are ... and respect the experiences of others.

Peter

I must confess that beating on things does in fact reduce my stress.

But, on a serious note "Music Therapy" does have some merit.  For example:

A good friend of mine who recently passed on 'demanded' that he be able to listen to his music while in the hospital.  The staff agreed as long as it didn't disturb the other patients.  During his last two weeks a couple of the guys from the drum section went and tapped out our settings, which he helped write, on practice pads.  Ever so gently so not to disturb other patients.  The pain he was feeling seemed to subside according to himself and the doctors.  The one thing I will always remember is that he went with a simle on his lips and in his eyes.  He was with people that cared for him and hearing the music he enjoyed.  We were there playing for him when he passed on to the other side.

So, Music Therapy does help.  As far as starting in this as a profession I havent got a clue where to begin.  An interesting idea I must say.

Peter

BO733

Peter - that's really a great story. I'm glad it worked out. I've researched schools and actually participated in some music therapy sessions (not professionally) and seen lesson plans geared toward helping people via music, in particular, drumming.

I know that if a group of people are forced to "create" music -- the tendancy would be toward using and creating rhythm. I am very interested in becoming a licensed music therapist, however right now it isn't plausible.

People with developmental disabilities can really gain muscular strength and coordination that otherwise is going to waste.  People that can't hear can still "feel" the pulse. It's sort of the heartbeat right?

Even playing a wedding gig,  a 90 year old woman might get up and dance or move to the music and that is really great when you can "move" people in that direction. It doesn't matter about religion or anything like that. Drumming and percussion is simply the heartbeat of people. It is a manifistation of the inner workings of our bodies, universe etc... I could go on but I won't so someone else please do.... :P

BO733

There are some great drummers involved with music therapy and here is THE website to check out if you're interested:

www.namt.com

Here is another interesting site for drummers -- particularly interested in music therpapy:

www.drumming-about-you.com

Check out the names of the drummers -- it's cool and exciting to see people participating, using a skill,trade,gift to help other people with ailments.

Also Mickey Hart's books "Drumming at the edge of Magic" and "Planet Drum" are great resources. They both come with a great CD. (especially Drumming at the Edge of Magic -- and no -- you don't have to be a deadhead ;D (although it might help?)

Ta te ta ta....

Mark Schlipper

as a matter of fact my girlfriend has a B.A. in art therapy and frequently puts the idea to use at work.  she works in a home for the 15-20 worst kids (age 7-17) in the state.  the ones with problems so far gone (sometimes psychosis, sometimes the result of abuse) that they cant be allowed to interact with the rest of society.  she leads art groups with these kids.  the confidence building skills alone are worth it.  but on top of that she'll talk to the kids after about what they drew/painted etc.  often times its a way for them to get things off thier chest and on to paper.  then once its out, its easier to talk about, and easier for the counselor or whatever to see whats really going on with the kid.  

music therapy is along the same lines.  it goes alot further than just releaving stress theres a wealth of benefits there.

BO733

Has your wife tried some percussion/drumming instruments and if so what has been the result? If not could you suggest it to her? I  think drumming would really help. Not necessarily a drum kit because I think every kid would fight about who gets to play on it!!

But if she had an array of instruments that the kids make -- like drums from oatmeal containers or spoons and pans-- then the kids could work out a little groove together and make music. Art therapy is great too. Mix it with a little music maybe? The kids could make shakers with a cup and some rice with a paper over the top of it and a rubber band. Or -- how about gluing some craft sticks together and making instuments using rubberbands as "pluckers". Wait no -- that would be more like a sling shot. Well, regardless, maybe some homemade art music/percussion instruments would be helpful!!

Peter

I know drumming helped one kid at the junior high I was assistant band director for.  All of his teachers had pretty much given up on him, he would not (or could not) concentrate, he was a rabble rouser, just a royal hoodlum as they called him.  So he was put in band for the easy A to get him out of their hair.  I recognized what was going on because it was like looking into the past at myself.  He was dyslexic and a wee bit hyperactive.  For me the focus and attention to detail that music demanded made a huge difference on my other school work.  So showed how to appraoch music and apply that same approach to everything else.  

By the time he graduated, two years after I started working with him, he was almost a straight A student.  And a joy to have in class according to his other theachers.

So in short forget Ritalin give em drum sticks.

Peter

BO733

I couldn't agree more. I think that drumming requires something in the brain having to do with motor skills and I think that music is a creative process that facilitates intelligence. Drumming.........No wonder Bart was excited about the finding of that ancient chinese cymbal.

There really is something to be said for culture/society and the music that is produced and drumming is at the core. If you're not well in the mind, spirit, or body, it just makes sense that drumming would be a way to reconnect. And then there is the pulse and the vibrations that we connect with expressed through the art form of --once again-- drumming. Maybe it goes back to that Ape pounding on his chest?

Mark Schlipper

hey bo733, she's actually been a drummer ... hasnt played in years but did for a while ... anyway, visual art is really her forte so thats what shes does.  and a lot of it is up to the folks that run the joint.

BO733

I understand that. I know there are certain "rules" and requirements and her specialty is visual art. I just was thinking about drumming and that aspect; like you said there are a lot of similar benefits. Have a good one 563!

rlhubley

I would like to add that music(drumming specifically) has taught me how to deal with stress.  In drumming we are all taught that tension that is not required is pointless, this lesson should be applied to life!

BO733

Quote from: rlhubley on July 18, 2002, 10:06 AM
I would like to add that music(drumming specifically) has taught me how to deal with stress.  In drumming we are all taught that tension that is not required is pointless, this lesson should be applied to life!
That is a great philosophy and if I might add something in return; I think that what you apply to life can be applied to drumming and visa versa. I know that for me drumming is my sort of center -- a spring board from which all other things radiate from. That's not meant to mean I'm obsessed with it; but rather what I've learned, i.e. discipline, rhythm, strength, flow, relating to other people, communication, team building, as well as compromise and peace. It's a great thing; drumming. :)