• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Sitting In ... it's been years

Started by Bart Elliott, October 26, 2017, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

Sat in with a new artist (to me), David Colón, performing at Puckett's Grocery in Leiper's Fork, TN last night. Never heard this original song before ... no rehearsals other than the singer/songwriter turning to me and giving me an idea of the groove he wanted.

I have a love/hate feeling, being put on the spot like this, but that is what sitting in is all about... well, in a non-cover-tune environment.

https://www.facebook.com/david.colon.750/videos/10214280744149552/

I recently moved to a new house just north of Nashville, so all of my gear is still inaccessible at this time. All I was able to bring was a cajon and my stickbag which had a Stickball Shaker which I was playing with my foot. I was surprised how well it went ... especially since I've been on a hiatus from playing for a full year.

JeepnDrummer

I don't know how I missed this topic.  Nice playing, Bart.  Loved the shaker and surprised how well it came through in the mix.  If it's not too personal, why the hiatus?  Are you playing more now?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on February 07, 2018, 12:10 AM
I don't know how I missed this topic.  Nice playing, Bart.  Loved the shaker and surprised how well it came through in the mix.  If it's not too personal, why the hiatus?  Are you playing more now?

The hiatus? I had to let me beard grow out.  ;)

Actually I just needed a break from the "keeping my calendar full" ... which sometimes means playing music I don't care for or working with people that I have no meaningful connection with. I wanted to get back into the art of making music rather than the sole focus being about making a living, which is important obviously, but I just needed a break and wanted to focus on family more.

I'm in a place in my life now that I get to be picky... and say "no".  ;D

Yes, I am playing more again as well as booking a couple of my own bands, which I love.

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: Bart Elliott on February 08, 2018, 09:25 PM
The hiatus? I had to let me beard grow out.  ;)

Actually I just needed a break from the "keeping my calendar full" ... which sometimes means playing music I don't care for or working with people that I have no meaningful connection with. I wanted to get back into the art of making music rather than the sole focus being about making a living, which is important obviously, but I just needed a break and wanted to focus on family more.

I'm in a place in my life now that I get to be picky... and say "no".  ;D

Yes, I am playing more again as well as booking a couple of my own bands, which I love.

Good to hear.  I'm on a hiatus from gigging.  It didn't start by choice, but now that I'm here it's a welcomed change.  I need to recharge and refocus.  I decided to take lessons to develop better hands and independence.  Reflection on the past several years of constant gigging has brought me to the decision of being more picky about who I play with and the type of music I play.  I don't rely on the income, which makes the decision easier.  I know eventually I will be itching to play out. 

Brett Sheaffer

I saw this post a couple months ago, and was glad JnD asked the question.  Also glad to hear that you've begun playing out more, Bart.  It's been since, maybe, 2009 that I was in Nashville last, and the next time I get there on vacation I hope to catch you playing somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your hiatus from gigging, Jeep. I can relate a bit, as I'm on a bit of a hiatus myself, yet also feeling it was a welcome change.

JeepnDrummer

Ha, just when I not only accepted my hiatus from playing out, but was also looking forward to getting back into golf and fishing, I get a call to join a band.  I really feel blessed as these are very accomplished players who are above my level.  One of them is on all the albums of a well-known country star and toured with him during his entire career.  Most importantly, though, they're great people.  As Billy Ward would say, "They give good bus." 

Consequently, I put my drum lessons on hold while I get spun up on a long list of songs.  My hands have suffered a bit, but I'll get back on that wagon once I get their set list down.  A side benefit is we can asked 2-4x as much for a gig.