• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Need an Instrument

Started by TamaDrummer, September 03, 2004, 07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TamaDrummer

Well, since we have a full house of 5 kids, one being around 4 months, i am unable to play my drums 24/7   :(  

Soo.....i am looking for an instrument that i can play in my room or the "jam" room (which i still need to do some sound-proofing in...).  It must be medium or smaller size, not too expensive, hopefully melodic though thats not a required, and hopefully a percussive instrument, though again, not necessarily a requirement.  Oh! and it must be something that can be played by yourself (again leaning towards melodic), as i WILL be by myself, and well.....Djembe just isnt the same alone........ive tried.

I have thought of trying bells or keyboard, though keyboard can get pretty expensive.  Since i am a youngin and i havent seen as many instruments as im sure the vets on here have, i figured i would ask everyone else.  So if anyone knows of anything such as what I have described, please do tell me.

warmodder

You can get a decent, keyboard for around 300$ US which isn't terribly expensive. It really depends on your opinion of cheap, A rack mounted yamaha motif with a cheapo keyboard will sound fantastic if you don't mind spending $800 or so dollars and you don't need a workstation.

That's beside the point though, i'd reccomend going with a nice set of something like a xylophone or glockenshpiel...(lol spelling) They're melodic and if you want you can put mount them with your drums.  Or, even better a set of those new sabian resonating bells. I think portnoy has a set of them on his kit. They're melodic and I think they're pretty cool.

TamaDrummer

Hey! i almost forgot about those.  and yes, portnoy does have a set on his kit.  doesnt use em much, but when he does they are pretty cool.  that is an idea....i think they are called 'crotales'?  Thanx....forgot about those.

windhorse