• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Converting Temple Blocks To Orchestra (Horizontal) Style Mount

Started by orty, November 19, 2008, 02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orty

Hey there,

First time poster on this forum, found it via a google search, but will probably be back :-)

I'm a percussionist in a couple community concert bands and symphonies in Central Oregon (won't self promote), and have a question. We have a set of temple blocks -- specifically, the LP1210 Granite Blocks :

Every where I've read about these blocks says there's convertible to a straight-across, Orchestra-style, low-to-high note setup (they're currently stacked in the compact default config with the two low on the bottom with the three high stacked on top -- just like the picture). A piece I'm playing (specifically, Spartacus by Jan Van der Roost) has a pretty intense temple block part that would be made a lot easier if I could mount the things orchestra-style mount.

I've played on an orchestra style setup of these things before, but it was years ago, and I can't remember how it was mounted. I've taken the things apart, and lined up the little holes on the end of each set of blocks with a mounting hole, but there are two problems:

1) I can see this thing being able to support the weight of this on a single bolt. Is there supposed to be a support bracket or something I'm missing?
2) The bolts have a square notch on the top so they drop in place in the holes on the compact mount, but they don't fit in the other holes, so they won't hold tight.

Anybody have pictures of these blocks setup in an orchestra-style mount so I could look at how it's done?

Thanks a bunch!
-Jake

Jon E

You could always biuld your own rig with some bolts, nuts,and even a wooden cross bar (if you're not into welding--like me!).

orty

Hmm....looks like he flipped the bracket over (so there's actually nothing underneath the blocks supporting them), and mounted it like I tried with the bolts and wingnuts providing the only support for the thing. But as you can see in those pics (especially http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~martin/DSC02476.JPG ) you can see the things are sagging a bit.

Thanks for the link, though. Everybody thought I was nuts when I said I'd played them this way before, and now I have proof that it's possible :)

Anybody else got any pics/links/instructions?

Bart Elliott

I own these ... LP Granite Blocks.

The are designed to be mounted stacked or in a row. The same bracket is made for both. The key is having the square pipe that is drilled to accommodate the orchestral set-up (i.e. five blocks in a single row). Early versions (old), like mine, were not drilled properly for the orchestral set-up ... unfortunately.

All you need to do is take the bracket off, like when you need to transport the Granite Blocks disassembled. Take the individual blocks off the bar as well.

Next, take the two square bars, now bare, and put them end to end. Be sure that you have them positioned so that when you mount the blocks again, they are in the correct order. Now take the mounting bracket and position it so that it is contacting both bars/pipe equally. There may be one drilled hole on the end of one bar/pipe ... like mine, which is on the section that holds the larger two blocks.

With the bracket positioned correctly, mark where the two holes SHOULD be. Drill two holes, one in each bar/pipe, and reattach the bracket to the square bars/pipes using the newly drilled holes. If you have a set like mine, which already had one holed drilled, you'll only need to drill one additional hole, not two.

Now you are ready to reattach the blocks to the bars/pipes.

I say to remove the blocks before drilling, etc., so you don't accidentally ruin or damage them.

The blocks will sag a bit because of the weight, but that's as good as it's going to get if you use the mounting bracket as is.

orty

Quote from: Bart Elliott on November 19, 2008, 04:17 PMIf you have a set like mine, which already had one holed drilled, you'll only need to drill one additional hole, not two.
My square pipe has to two holes -- one on the end of each bar -- but it just didn't seem to hold tight, and mine have square holes that the bolts sat inside if you mounted them stacked so you didn't have to hold the bolt when you cranked the wingnut tight. Didn't really want to force them in there, obviously. So they're sort-of drilled right, unless I just have the wrong bolts (or I'm nuts ;)).
-Jake

Bart Elliott

Quote from: orty on November 19, 2008, 04:23 PM
My square pipe has to two holes -- one on the end of each bar -- but it just didn't seem to hold tight, and mine have square holes that the bolts sat inside if you mounted them stacked so you didn't have to hold the bolt when you cranked the wingnut tight.

It's unfortunate that LP didn't go ahead and drill the square side of the hole do accommodate the carriage bolts.

Another option is to go to the hardware store, purchase new square piping, and drill exactly the way you want or need to make the mounting tight. This also means that you'll need to drill for the blocks as well. A lot of work, but if you want it they way you want it, and don't want to use the option I've already mentioned, you may just have to go this second route.

You could add washers to keep the square portion of the carriage bolt from pressing into the pre-drilled, round holes.

orty

Carriage bolt -- that's the word I was looking for to describe that :-)

Yeah, I'm thinking I can find something at the hardware store to support it and make it work -- we'll see.

Thanks again! This is a great forum!

Chip Donaho

Another idea to think about. If you use carriage style bolts with a round/flat head on the bolt it wouldn't matter if you have a square part on the bolt or not. Just put the bolt through the inside of the temple block, then a flat washer plus a nut securing them to the blocks. Then it wouldn't matter if you're using a square bar or a flat bar. Place the temple blocks complete with the bolts through the holes, then secure with a wing nut you can tighten and loosen with your fingers. The bolts will then be a regular fixture on the blocks and you won't loose them. You can even put the wing nuts loosly on them for travel.   ;)

Showguy

I've seen new Granite Block sets that had a U-shaped bracket that bolts the 2 pieces of square tubing together. It's the kind of thing that could get lost pretty easily, but I seem to remember seeing raw U-shaped tubing at hardware stores.

NRHarris

With mine, I switched the top row's 2 end blocks around, but kept the stacked bracket formation intact for stability. Now the blocks are arranged high-to-low, but still on 2 levels. Works for me...