• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Your ONE "Favorite" Drum Part On A Tune

Started by Marcos, June 17, 2005, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Beverage

Buddy Rich's original recording of West Side Story, especially the perfect single stroke roll in the last 4/4 segment -

"around the corner"rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrl1

Roger

justdave01

May get some strange looks for this one, but simple and powerful, Phil Collins, In the Air Tonight. It's why I wanted to be a drummer.

LarryMullenLloyd

has to be intro to "Squib cakes" by Garibaldi for me!! ToP at their best!!

paulhench

Hey, anybody remember or know a slightly obscure album called McDonald and Giles? Michael Giles was the original King Crimson drummer (and my favorite), and this album was done more or less at the same time as the second King Crimson album. The drum part that has stuck with me for life is on the tune TOMORROW'S CHILDREN. Giles plays drums as though he were playing a melodic instrument. The coolest riff, check it out if you don't know it. Also, if anybody knows anything else that Michael Giles has played on, please let me know ...

Mister Acrolite

I was really into Giles when I was first learning to play. Giles was also the drummer for In The Court of the Crimson King, a very cool early King Crimson record. He didn't do a lot of records, and this one and the one you mentioned are the best ones I was able to find. As I recall I found a couple others, but none were as cool or had such interesting drum parts.

Here's more info:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wbfuxq85ldte]http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wbfuxq85ldte

paulhench

A correction: the title to the McDonald and Giles song was TOMORROW'S PEOPLE, and not Tomorrow's Children as I said. Thanks for the scoop, Mr A

smoggrocks

i just found my old 'court of the crimson king' album the other day. it's completely worn down. great, great album.

it's really hard to say one, but i can't stop listening to that brand x tune, 'nuclear burn.' phil collins is just incredible on that album. i'm trying to see if i can learn it myself. the playing is so tight and fast, and i love how the drums transition from part to part.

so far i have the intro down... at about an eighth of the speed. :-\ ;D

SteveR

Stewart's signature snare fill during the outro of Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.  During the RE-OOH-OOOH part.

You know the one:

& a 2 e    3 e & a 4    & a

It's impossible for any drummer to listen to that song in the car without playing that fill on the dashboard!  That's how you judge a good fill.   ;D

Todd Norris

Since several of my faves have already been listed, I can throw in Stewart Copeland's riff during the chorus of "Driven to Tears".  Lots of hi-hat and splash, just a little drums.  Very effective.

Shane Stylianos

The 7/4 section in La Villa Strangiato.  (The Cmaj to Amin movement) Peart's playing there is simple but perfectly brilliant.  Especially throughout the build-up.  He had fantastic hi-hat work in that.

dmcc

Keith Moon's freak-out during My Generation, probably

Pinck

Well, for something not rock:

The Roots - You Got Me

You know the part.

DWdrmr

Quote from: Paicey on August 28, 2005, 01:51 PM
There are dozens!! but i can only name just one?, dear god!man. Ok, Bobby Caldwells intro to Dancing madly backwards from Captain Beyonds debut album. Im dieing! to name more.
I thought I was the only one who had that album...........I bought the vinyl in '72 or '73,still got it...........very cool. Did'nt know who he was. It was a Capricorn record.

DWdrmr

Mike Portnoy's fill at the end of "Pull Me Under".......one of many faves,but it was'nt listed,so...

Aja

Bill Bruford on "Roundabout". Great stuff

BigBillInBoston

There's a reason I have the Sonny Payne reference below my avatar...He was the first drummer I really connected with and wanted to play like. For those of you not familiar with him, he was Count Basie's drummer in the late 50's thru the first half of the sixties. When I was learning to be a high school big-band drummer I would listen to the album "Atomic Basie" for hours and try to copy his licks.

The buliding triplet fill he uses in "Splanky" has always been one of my favorites. Also, any of his licks on "April in Paris" (not from Atomic Basie)...ONE MORE TIME !!!!

BigBill

DWdrmr

Quote from: chefdoug on July 03, 2005, 11:49 AM
I love the Jim Gordon drum break in Frank Zappa's Apostrophe' , gets me everytime I hear it. That whole song has such a cool groove to it.
Doug,do you know whatever happened to him? I heard some stuff about being in an insane asylum,killed his mother,stuff like that....I loved his work on Derek and the Dominos(Layla and other assorted love songs) and Traffic.

AdamBlevins

Danny Carey in Eulogy.

Where the guitar and bass drop out and it's just Danny and Maynard...

"You claimed all this time that you would die for me..." etc.

It sounds so effortless that it took me awhile to realize just how...well... impossible that is to play.  I've been practicing that groove for years and although I can play the notes, I still can't make it groove like he can.
Also, in the easy to learn, hard to master, impossible to play it like Steve Gadd category is the verse from Paul Simon's "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover".

--Adam

Vintage Ludwig

I cant even begin to narrow it down to one favorite.  Theres just sooooo much out there.  So Im going to opt out of this one-with the thought that I havnt yet heard my favorite-

Someone mentioned Tears For Fears "Badman Song"-and I do dig that one for sure.......but it aint ma favorite!  But its pretty darn good-

gifford1986

the intro to Honor Thy Father by Dream Theater just boggles my mind :)