• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Alan Dawson Rudimental Ritual

Started by Brandon Goodwin, December 30, 2014, 01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon Goodwin

Just wanted to say how much I love the Alan Dawson Rudimental Ritual. It is one of the most perfectly put together exercises out there. It works the hands, the feet, coordination, poly-rhythmic groupings and more.

What do you guys think about this rudimentary workout? What tempos can you play it at? At one point I could play it at 144bpm, but I've since slowed it down to work on precision instead. I play it between 80-120bpm right now, and work on different variations with it.
   I've also worked it out with the a Baio (sp) bass drum ostinato, and the classic 4-on-the-floor with great results.

I've also recently bought the Wilcoxon 150 snare drum solos book, which seems to fit the rudimental ritual like a glove.

Mariano Perez

I've been playing the ritual daily since 3 years ago. It's an excelent routine, my hand technique have been improved a lot since I started playing it. I think the key is to make a big difference between unaccented and accented notes playing the taps very soft. I've played it in all tempos from very slow to very fast, 190bmp it's the fastest I've played it, but I think it's more important to play it clean than fast. I've played with samba and baion ostinato on feet. But the most i like is with the tumbao

This is my first message in the community. I'm spanish native speaker so I hope you can understand me because my english it's not so good  :P

Brandon Goodwin

190bpm! Wow! I don't know if I'll ever get to that tempo. I guess working out individual problem spots could help to achieve this. The tumbao is a great idea. I think I'll try it out next!

Mariano Perez

If I can do it believe me that anyone could reach that speed. I've been playing this routine for 3 years now, once a day from monday to saturday the 365 days of the year. But don't worry about how faster you can play it, slow it down get it clean and relax if still not clean slow it down more until you can play it perfectly from start to end. The technical skills to play faster will come along don't force it

As you said you can work on trouble spots to get better and don't forget to keep your taps down, good luck with it!