• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Check One Too

Started by dizz, May 09, 2012, 01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dizz

It's not a typo and I hope this is in the right forum because what I'm about to talk about is piece of mind.

Simple question for you guys. 

Is it ok to ask to see the client checks from which the band gets paid?

Everyone's situation is likely different here so I'll mention some parameters of my situation that are pertinent.

Clearly it's a touchy subject because by asking I'm implying that I don't trust someone.  By the same token, I feel like I have a right to ask.

In my bands we are paid an equal cut after agent/management/expenses.  Since my cut varies based on the amount of each check and other expenses, there's no way I could know if I am getting ripped off or not.

We are paid by enveloped check with the band's name on it and included is a small itemized explanation of the cuts.  At the top of my sheet has MY name only -which makes me think it's unique.  By unique I mean the numbers on the sheet.   It's a simple text printout.  Why would it have my name only?   Wouldn't one generic explanation be easier?  Just sayin

Anyway, my question isn't 'should I'.   I shouldn't ask if I want to keep the job.

My question is 'do I have any right to ask to see the check?'   

Bart Elliott

I would answer your question this way ...

Is the band a partnership? Is everyone in the band an equal partner, but you just have one or two individuals handling the books? Or are you hired by an artist/group?

If it's a partnership, I believe you have every right to see the books, etc. It's a business, and if you are an equal partner, then you have a vote and a say in the matter.

When you ask to see the books (eg. checks), I think you can find a creative way to word your desire without coming across in a accusatory manner.

If it's a partnership, you should have regular band meetings to discuss finances, etc.

From what you mentioned ... only having your name on the paper with no explanations, you might want to approach it from that angle. State that you are concerned that expenses are not being fully disclosed and would like to see them for your own records and general mental well-being. If there's nothing to hide, there should be no reason why this information can not be shared with you. Furthermore, having another set of eyes keeps people honest, as well as helping prevent mathematical errors.

Whatever you do, try to voice your concerns in a calm, non-confrontational manner. Gentle words and responses help keep the natives from getting restless.

dizz

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic Bart.  I still need to give this all a lot of thought before I consider doing anything.

It's not completely equal partnership no.  It's an 11 piece band and 4 of the players are senior founding members.   They get 2 votes value to the other 7's 1 votes value on votes lololol

It's totally screwy to be honest.  And it's been suggested recently by someone other than myself that there are real problems with the way things are set up right now. 

For now I'm going to just ride it out and see what changes.