• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

'Middle Age' offshoot thread

Started by Chris Whitten, July 28, 2004, 06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Whitten

Love it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3927029.stm

One of the first instances of a 'best of' set, performed by one of the original stars and members of the associated tribute band.
Good on him I say.  :D

Mark Schlipper

I remember reading about The Whos first real "reunion" back in '89.   They admitted they were doing it for the money.  Entwhistle said that he had sold off half his guitar collection and wasnt interested in selling more.   But before the rants of "selling out" came they explained it all.   They were musicians.  Whose living came from writing and playing music.  What was wrong with making some money off of playing thier music? etc.  

Its coasting on former glories, but still a viable point.

Chris Whitten

Ian Brown is 'cool' (however you want to define it). The Stone Roses are even cooler (with nostalgic hindsight LOL).
So I just love the fact he wasn't too proud to hire two guys from the tribute band and the reviewer noted the old songs were well played and note for note perfect.
Good on 'em.  :)

irishthump

OH, I LOVE IT!!!!!!! :D

My brother, (who is 8 years younger than me, by the way) is constantly ribbing
me about playing in a cover band. He's a bass player in an originals group, who are gigging fairly regularly, but to be honest are'nt making a lot of money from it. Now I'm not knocking that, they all love what they do, but they have a very snobby attitude to cover/tribute bands. I've offered him several gigs with us. depping for our own bass player, but he flatly refuses, claiming he's not a "sell out". "You'll never see me in a cover band!!!!" he professes!

Well, he's a HUGE Stone Roses/Ian Brown fan. Boy, am I gonna rub his nose in this one!!!

Like I tell him, this is SHOWBUSINESS!

If there is no BUSINESS, then there ain't gonnan be a SHOW!!!

incdrummer

I agree, my band does both covers and originals, means people come for the covers and hopefully notice the originals snuck in there.

TheRev

Jeez, when did we become ARTISTES and forget we are ENTERTAINERS.  Do people come to the average club, bar, etc, for entertainment or art.  Come on, the music business is about making people happy, dance and smile.  Is that bad? not IMHO.  That is what we are there for.   I think that is why they call it the music BUSINESS, not the music ART.

TheRev

Second quick thought on the above.  I am not suggesting you play music you hate just to make a buck.  You won't play well and just make everyone miserable.  But commercial music can be fun and still not be great art.  Besides, even in a cover band you can do at least a few things to make the song  more your own.  The audience has not memorized every drum beat in the songs you are playing.

Except maybe for "Wipeout".  Yikes!

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: TheRev on July 30, 2004, 05:56 AM
Jeez, when did we become ARTISTES and forget we are ENTERTAINERS.

The moment I started creating actually.   Except without the forgetting part.

QuoteDo people come to the average club, bar, etc, for entertainment or art.

Entertainment.   But if you are implying that people CANT be entertained by "art" you are absolutely wrong.

QuoteCome on, the music business is about making people happy, dance and smile.  Is that bad? not IMHO.

Thats what the business is about.   Not necessarily what music is about.   Two different things.

QuoteThat is what we are there for.  

That is what YOU (and granted, many others) are here for.  But there are a vast number of people out there who are not creating simply to entertain people.

QuoteI think that is why they call it the music BUSINESS, not the music ART.

And thats why I dont make a living at it.   But does that make my music less valid than a party bands?   I sure as hell hope not.

Chris Whitten

Quote from: irishthump on July 28, 2004, 01:25 PM
I've offered him several gigs with us. depping for our own bass player, but he flatly refuses, claiming he's not a "sell out". "You'll never see me in a cover band!!!!" he professes!

I champion and fully support those who strive to create new and original music. To call those who don't (or who just wanna have fun playing a few covers from time to time) 'sell outs', is just  biggotry.

Andrew

Quote from: TheRev on July 30, 2004, 05:56 AMCome on, the music business is about making people happy, dance and smile. Is that bad? not IMHO. That is what we are there for.

It may depend on where you are, but in a lot of markets, cover bands don't make everyone happy. For instance, most venues here in Chicago don't book cover bands.