• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

30+ years playing

Started by felix, June 04, 2006, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

I know some of you guys have played 40+ years.  And Terry has been playing at least 50.

How has your playing changed?  What do I have to look forward to and what do I have to look out for?

Are you better, worse, different or just don't give a hoot and are glad just to be able to play?  Any regrets?  
How would you do it over again if you could?

Thanks,
f.

William Leslie

I've tried to learn as much as possible in each type of music as it came about. I've played with as many bands as I could in order to get a true experience with each musical type. At this point I can say I really haven't found any music I didn't like. There are several types I couldn't play full time any longer, due to past injuries and of course present age. I won't kid around about that. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't drink as I did, keep the late hours, do seven days a week, and so on since it does take a toll on your body. Your not young for ever, even though we would like to think we are. I'm sure a person such as your self is aware of the pit falls and how to side set them. Over all I'd like to start over again, knowing what I know now and do things a bite differently. I would spend a little more time with each style of music and get maybe a more clear understanding of each . I have a few favorites such as 30's & 40's big band dance , polka, 50's rock, and R & B. Of course country music goes without saying. I'll play that any time, any place and with almost any body. Keeping the body in shape is the key or one of the keys to a long musical life. I've read most of your post since I've here a DC and you seem to be a very knowledgeable person and it would appear that you've been around the block atleast once. I'm sure you are aware of the aforementioned pit falls. Last remarks; I've always said, the day it is no longer enjoyable, that's the day I will walk away.  Thank you for the time to express myself.

felix

No, thank you.  I have a hard time with my vices but I'm always trying to keep them in check and try to stay as healthy as I can.  My freakin' head though... ya know?  Sometimes I feel like I could just totally lose it.

I know Mac has played over thirty years... Bartman is pushing 30.  paul is somewhere around 40.  I'm sure there are a few other cats.

Mister Acrolite

Wow, I guess I have been playing over thirty years - yikes! It's been a long, crazy ride, and I'm still doing it. Just got back from a record date in Baltimore, and have been tracking a lot recently with a local original band. And a couple times a month I throw on a tux and make some easy money tapping away on my microkit!

The thing I like most about getting older is that I find your musical hearing improves, for lack of better term. I can discern things that I wouldn't have noticed earlier on. That's both good and bad - it makes me incredibly self-critical in the studio, but it also helps me fix and adjust my playing quickly. Plus, there's an additional solidness and confidence that comes from the sheer physical repetition of having done so much drumming over the years.

I've found my playing continues to improve, although I really don't practice anymore. I'll go through phases if there's a specific thing I want to work up, but other than that, I just show up and play, and have been pretty pleased with the results. I'm fortunate enough to usually be playing with some pretty terrific musicians - that helps a LOT. You really can't slack off when you're playing with "A Team" players, so I think everybody helps keep everybody else's standards high. I know one guy in my usual crew kind of dropped the ball on a recent gig we did together, and believe me, he heard it about it from us. And I recently posted about a gig where my hands finally succumbed to exhaustion.

But overall I think I'm playing better than ever. I may have had certain very specific aspects of my playing at a higher level at certain points in my career: for example, in college I could probably play a hyperspeed jazz ride groove more easily than I can now, because I was doing it every day. And my double-bass chops were probably stronger in the 80's and 90's than they are now, because I simply haven't been needing them. But that's just a rust thing, and could be solved by some woodshedding. Meanwhile, my right foot continues to do a fair impression of a Yeti, so I'm happy.

I've learned the most by being flexible and open-minded to new opportunities. In my early career, I wouldn't turn down any work, as a result, I accrued a LOT of experience in a wide variety of styles. Each thing I absorbed helped make me a more complete musician - I think it's a mistake to focus too narrowly on one musical niche, at least if you want to be a working pro. And oddly enough, each gig has led to the next. I got my first metal gig when a management company saw me onstage with a country band. And I got my gig with Clarence when I cut off my hair and got a day job. Ya never know...

As far as what I'd do different: I'd stay in school long enough to get a legit degree in addition to my music degree. And I'd probably not focus on percussion like I did in school. Even then, I knew I was cut out to be a drumset player, so in the long run, I think much of the time I spent on mallets, timpani, etc. was a bit of a waste. I've only done a very small amount of pro percussion work since I left school, so I think I'd focus on my drumset strengths if I had a "Way Back Machine."

The only other big observation I have is that this is an incredible time to be learning to play the drums. I grew up pre-Internet, pre-personal computers, pre-MTV, pre-drum videos - hell, pre-VCR, much less DVD! Drummers today have SO much access to information. I would have given my left juevo to have something like the Drummer Café when I was growing up - a chance to talk shop with other drummers, and pick the brains of pros with decades more experience than me. It's truly a golden age for drummers - take advantage of it.

Anyway, as far as what you have to look forward to, I'd say mostly good things. I continue to enjoy playing drums. If that changes, I'll probably quit. But so far, that doesn't seem like a very major threat.

drumwild

Almost 37 years here.

I agree with Mr. A about access to info. Looking back on my early years, I was pretty much isolated. It was me and the teacher. No videos or internet, and all the other things listed. Music charts were chiseled into tablets and an order of ribs would tip my car over.

I find that I'm more open to learning new things. That saying about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks is reverse. When I was younger, I was less likely to listen to new styles or try new things, partly because I felt that I had it all and knew everything I needed.

Look forward to adding new things to the toolbox.

Christopher

I'm only at 25, so I can't post.  :(

I'll be back in five years though!

;)

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: Christopher on June 04, 2006, 07:51 PM
I'm only at 25, so I can't post.  :(

I'll be back in five years though!

Newbie.

;)

Chris Whitten

I think I am a better drummer - in a strange way.

I'm much less technically able around the kit, but I'm much more flexible, musical and open to new ideas.

I've gone from being a Billy Cobham wannabe to a Ringo wannabe.

I've hardly played over the last ten years, but I've done a lot of listening and when I have played it hasn't been the old wham bam thank you mam session, but more experimental - soft playing, muted drums, retro drums, copying loops, as well as my usual strong backbeat rock style.

Bart Elliott

I'm in complete agreement with Mister Acrolite and drumwild ... so no need to repeat all of that.

As of this month, I've been playing drums/percussion for 30 years; 25 years professionally and still going.  ;D

I love learning new things and growing as a player. I've come to find that time is my friend. The older you get, the wiser and more seasoned you become.

I definitely could do a lot of things better years ago than I can now ... but as Mister Acrolite pointed out, that's just a little rust that can be worked out with some elbow grease. There's things now that I do better than I did years ago. It's hard to keep everything at peak at all times ... especially when I'm playing a lot of different styles on a numerous drum/percussion instruments.

As I get older, I realize what's most important to making a living as a musician:

1) Be a good hang!
2) Play for the song and/or the music.
3) Pocket and groove is where its at.
4) Stay open-minded and continue to learn until you leave this planet.

I've learned that as an artist, I'm the happiest, most creative and most productive  when I simply do what I am. I don't try to be something I'm not. I embrace my strengths (and weaknesses) and thrive in what I'm good at. I used to be bothered by being a "jack of all trades, master of none", but have come to realize, in fact just a few years ago, that I'm at my best when I wear a lot of different hats. I don't need to be the "best" at one thing; I'm happy to be good at a lot of different things.

I also don't compare myself to others, and vice versa. We are all special, unique individuals; there's no one who does what I (you) do exactly like I (you) do it. Sure wish I had known this simple truth when I was first getting into music, but the important thing is that I've learned the lesson.

I view myself as a renaissance man ... and I'm at peace with that.

Larry Lawless

37 years for me.

When I started, all I wanted to be was a rock and roll drummer. As I learned and experienced, my tastes changed, first to jazz, and then to the whole percussion family, so much that now I consider myself more a mallet player than a drumset player, although I have played considerably more gigs on set than anything else.

In most ways, I am a better player now than in my earlier years. Through my experiences as a teacher, I have learned how to practice more efficiently, and have been fortunate enough to have a job that still gives me some time to practice. I continue to learn new skills and look for opportunities to expand my abilities. Two years ago, I drove 2 1/2 hours once a week all summer to study jazz vibe technique and improvisation with John Piper.

All the late nights, rough times on my body were gotten out of my system when I was young and single, although that was up until 30 years of age. Now, I choose the hill on which I will die carefully, my time is more precious to me than it was then.

Regrets are not starting earlier to practice well. I wanted to be a good player and I wanted it NOW, so I didn't have the patience with myself to practice meticulously. I tended to hurry through things, trying to get up speed and learn lots of notes without taking the time to develop the fundamental things that needed my attention.

Best decision of my younger days was to volunteer to play for the school musicals in college. I learned more about how to play a job from that experience than anything.

paul

49 years playing, 43 on set.

There are a few things I can't do as well now as in decades past, but generally I think my playing is better than ever.  I'm playing more than ever, and with better musicians, and that's probably the reason for any improvement.

I love any music or band that pushes me, and if I come off stage worn out it's usually been a good night.  And I'm still a Billy Cobham wannabe when it feels right.

TPC

41 years old, 36 years playing (39 if you count wooden spoons on mom's cookware).

my one big regret:

for the first 20 years of playing, or so, i was very interested in chops, speed, complexity, independence, etc., all at the expense of the groove (or the song, or the feel, call it what you will).

in the last 10 years, or so, i have learned to focus on appropriateness, consistency, groove.  i believe this came after some recording experience.

all of the impressive techincolor quickly fades, if there's a break in the tempo, or one of the majestic fills sounds out of place.

Steve Phelps (Shoeless)

32 years playing, 25 years performing.

I've never been a music theory guy, so I always figured the musicians do their thing and the drummers do ours. However, since learning other instruments (self taught) I've developed a greater ability to communicate with other musicians and learn what they want out of a drummer, and I've learned a lot about taking direction and delivering exactly what's needed. And this has helped me learn a hell of lot about arranging. I like situations where you talk alot about everyone's parts before ever playing a note.

I also find I'm able to reign in the band and drive the bus with a lot more authority. And also recover from flubs (mine and the groups as a whole) a lot better.

Regrets: I've always been the second runner up as far as the guy who gets signed or gets the good gig. Mainly because I'm restless and didn't have the staying power because I was always onto the next thing, In this case, military, college, job, marriage, relocating. I don't regret my life, but I think if I had to do it again I would have been the guy that submerges himself in it more.

Vintage Ludwig

Its been 29 years since I started playing.  I have played on and off throughout this time.  As things in life changed, I had to make adjustments-but have always gone back to playing.  When I started playing, I went thru the same things previous posters have stated.  Something that has remained constant is how cool it is when someone new comes along and inspires my playing.  Back in the day there was of course Ginger Baker, Bonham, Moon, Clem Burke, Lenny White, Porcaro,........the list keeps changing.  And every once in awhile someone new comes along and they blow me away with their technique.  For me drumming has always been fun.  I used to dream of making it big-hooking up with a great band, make great albums that sell 1 billion records, tour and do all the crazy things we read or hear about.  But soon I realized that the probability of me being successful at something else other than drumming was actually more likely.  Drumming is fun-but doing something else for a living was actually going to pay the bills.   And my thinking was correct-for me anyways.  I am able to collect drums and cymbals as a result of being successful in doing something else besides play drums.

Would I go back and change things if I had the opportunity?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  If I was to go back, the one thing I would change is I would have taken LOTS of lessons.  Thats about my only regret-Had I taken lessons, I think I would be a much better drummer than I am today.  Im definatley not as good as I once was.  Im 45 now, and my elbows and knees are bad.  Especially my elbows.  Some days the pain is so great I cant play.  So I play when they dont-or play despite the pain.  Getting old(er) is the worst- :'(

sptucker

My story reads a lot like quicksfoot's.  I've been playing for 31 years, have been in various bands throughout that time, with only a couple of years of downtime (still played, but just by myself...).  I make a decent living, not rich but not poor, and can afford to buy equipment pretty much whenever I want.  Hey, as long as the wife is buying clothes she doesn't need, I'm going to buy drums I don't need, right?   ;D

Anyhow, at this point I realize drumming is a hobby for me.  But, it is the one thing that brings me the most joy -- if I'm not playing in a band regularly, I'm a real grouch. 

After playing this long, like some others have said, I really don't HAVE to practice much, although a bit of woodshedding is necessary now and then.  My chops are what they are, I'm kinda old to be getting radically better, and I'm competent enough to hang with anyone I would be interested in hooking up with (and vice versa, of course).   At this point, I'm not flashy, I have no ego whatsoever, I don't really do solos, I don't have to do 32nd note fills all the time, and I'm just, well... relaxed.  I don't make big mistakes, I play for the music, and mostly just have fun.

Oh, and my timing is better.  Much better.  Probably because of all the things I don't do anymore (see above).  Plus, I can sing (I use this term loosely) much better, and it's totally second nature while playing.

Drumming is good at 30+ years!

Kevin Gaines

About 33 years for me.
I'll pretty much echo the sentiments I've read in this thread and add that I'm a much better listener at this stage.  As a young "DrumSlinger" you tend to get caught up more in playing as opposed to listening.  Also, at this stage we tend to be much more aware of dynamics.

Louis Russell

I'll post my thoughts later.  I have been playing drums since 1964 and I am 58 years old sooooooo, its time for my afternoon nap.  ;D

Vintage Ludwig

Quote from: Louis on June 05, 2006, 01:37 PM
I'll post my thoughts later.  I have been playing drums since 1964 and I am 58 years old sooooooo, its time for my afternoon nap.  ;D
LMAO! Thats awesome!! ;D

drumz1

I've been a pro for a little over 42 years.  In my career, I have played just about every type and style of music at one time or another (yes, that includes a gig in a polka band).

Looking back, it's been a good life, albeit with a few times when I didn't have very much to eat, but that's part of the music world, I suppose.

My one regret is that I didn't take piano or guitar lessons.  IMO, every person who aspires to become a drummer should also take a course in guitar or piano.  You would be so much better prepared for the entire scope of music, and also be able to do "double-duty", if needed.  In my case, my love of drums and drumming surpassed everything else.  I became a drummer, and a good drummer, but that was it.  I truly believe that I could have done more, had I taken up piano or guitar.  Besides, let's face it - playing piano or guitar is a lot less work than playing drums, at least volume-wise, anyway (all those players have to do in order to play louder is just turn a knob).

:-)

I agree with Bart and Mr. A on many points and would like to add my two cent's worth here, for what it's worth (and I hope it might be worth just a little):

*ALWAYS, BUT ALWAYS, PLAY FOR THE SONG.  Many's the time (when I was young and thought I knew it all) that I tried to play the loudest, busiest, fastest fill I could come up (every eight bars) in a song that really didn't need it.  And I thought I was sooooo cool.  Yeah, right.  Hey, I still have the tapes of some bands I played with back then and I cringe when I listen to myself doing that.  What was I thinking, anyway?

* PLAY THE GROOVE.  You can be the flashiest drummer, complete with all the chops, fireworks, stick twirls, etc........but if you can't cop a groove, you won't work much.  If the music demands it, of course, go ahead and show off a little, but only a little.  Your job as a pro drummer is to create rythmn, remember?  .....Unless you happen to be the "Big Deal" in the band, ala Buddy Rich, and that's a different story.  An old pro I made friends with - a studio bass player from Nashville - once told me, "Start with nothin', then lay back".  That said it all, as far as I'm concerned.  This was over twenty years ago, and I've never been the same since he told me that.  I'm glad I had sense enough to listen to his timely words, it has paid off in more ways than I can tell you.  I'm just passing his words of wisdom along here for the benefit of our younger DC members. 

* BECOME A CHAMELEON.  Don't let yourself get locked into only one or two styles of music.  You'll be pigeonholing yourselves.  Best thing to do is to learn as many types and styles of music as you possibly can.  By doing that, you will always find work -- and remember, that's what it's really all about.  You may love your job, but sometimes you might find that the job you have playing drums in the metal band doesn't pay nearly as well as the job you COULD have in the country band.  Some folks I know have the belief that only their kind of music mattered, and they would not consider playing any other types of music.  Too bad for them.....I was making twice their salary, playing the music they refused to play, while they remained locked in their own little world and were starving, compared to me.  It's really a shame to put handcuffs on your learning abilities.  My advice:  Learn to play jazz.  Learn to play country (and learn to play it correctly, it isn't as easy as you might think).  Learn to play rock.  Latin drumming. Blues (there are many variations of a blues shuffle...can you play them all?).  Dixieland jazz.  Hell, even polka music (not as easy as you might think).  You never know when you might get a call to play a gig, and if you're smart, you'll be able to play anything.  Whatever you do, LEARN IT ALL, LEARN IT CORRECTLY, and don't hold back.  If you don't do that, then all you will be doing is to limit yourself and your horizons / possibilities.....and that ain't cool, folks.

I turn 60 years old this month.   I have always worked steady, for the most part.  I intend to keep it up as long as God lets me do it at a professional level.  If the day comes when I can no longer hold up my end of the deal, I'll hang up my drumming shoes and walk away with my head held high.

A salute to all the drumming veterans of this great page.....I'm proud to be in your company.

Regards,
drumz1

Chris Whitten

Good post.  :)

"Start with nuthin, then lay back."  ;D