• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Designing of a portable electronic drumming device

Started by Tom Carter, May 25, 2016, 06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Carter

Hi, I'm looking into designing an electronic drum pad which would allow users to create drum beats on the move, e.g. on a bus, plane, train, etc. I am looking for some input as to what other drummers think of this idea.

Please fill in the survey if you have the time :)

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BKVBJCC

My initial idea is 2 devices which sit on either thigh and consist of 6 fairly small pads on each device. Each pads corresponds to an instrument. I'm not sure about you but I'm always tapping my thighs when listening to music on the move, so I thought these pads would be activated by the tapping of the hand or fingers as a standard electronic drum kit does with sticks. Using a headphone port the sounds can be listened to and possibly the use of Bluetooth and an app would be another option. the app could also allow you to assign any instrument you want to any pad. They would fold up and be easily stored in a bag.

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Tom :)

drumandpace

Hey Tom,

interesting idea! I don't quite see the pain this would solve, but still it could be a toy that people want nonetheless.

Have you gotten responses so far? Any new insights? (If not, PM me or answer here. I think I can point you to some resources to make the questionnaire more effective.)

Keep the ideas flowing! ;-)