• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

My "new" drums

Started by TheBeachBoy, January 20, 2007, 04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBeachBoy

Well, bored of the color of my drums, and the fact that I'd like to get a good vintage kit, but having no money, I decided to change the color of my current kit.  It's a Pearl Export, probably 6 or 7 years old (bought used).  Thought this might be a nice change of pace from the old Wine Red they were originally wrapped in.

Whaddaya think?  Yay? Nay? Eh?

Mister Acrolite

Nice job, and it really does give them a "vintage" look!

8)

Louis Russell

Great job and I also see you use one of my favorite pedals.

Drum Slave Jack

You did capture the vintage look there, i like it man. You gigged them yet with the new wrap? How do they look under lights?
Jack

sleepybrIghteyez

TheBeachBoy

No, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to gig with them yet.

Yeah, Louis, I love the Squeak King.  Mines a WFL, so I'm guessing it's about 50 years old, but it's still kicking (pun intended).

Todd Norris

I love it!  It's amazing what a new wrap can do to a set of drums! 

dKApS.

oo! oo! how do i change my drum color? lol....

chillman4130

Looks great! Better than the similar Mapex finishes.

But is it a wrap?

TheBeachBoy

I forgot to include how it was done.  I actually just spray painted over the existing wrap.  I tried to use a turntable to keep the rows even, but it was too small, so I had to walk around each drum as I sprayed, trying to keep it at the right height and all that.  There were some ripples in the wrap on the bass drum that became more prominent after the paint, but I figure it's not that noticeable, so who cares?  With the masking tape, roll of masking paper, spray paint, and top coat, it's still a heck of a lot less than a re-wrap, and quite possible easier too.

Necrophobiac

Quote from: TheBeachBoy on January 20, 2007, 11:49 PM
I forgot to include how it was done.  I actually just spray painted over the existing wrap.  I tried to use a turntable to keep the rows even, but it was too small, so I had to walk around each drum as I sprayed, trying to keep it at the right height and all that.  There were some ripples in the wrap on the bass drum that became more prominent after the paint, but I figure it's not that noticeable, so who cares?  With the masking tape, roll of masking paper, spray paint, and top coat, it's still a heck of a lot less than a re-wrap, and quite possible easier too.

I really like it :) It looks even better that the blue isnt at the same height, very good job :)

Paicey

Totally cool. Hey, when ya get some time i need my kit done also. Its great that drummers have the nerve to do something like this, id be nervous for weeks! and come within seconds of spraying my kit but get scared and run back upstairs. Id have to have a few coronas first to numb my sences of what i was about to ruin.

TheBeachBoy

Quote from: Paicey on January 22, 2007, 12:24 PM
Totally cool. Hey, when ya get some time i need my kit done also. Its great that drummers have the nerve to do something like this, id be nervous for weeks! and come within seconds of spraying my kit but get scared and run back upstairs. Id have to have a few coronas first to numb my sences of what i was about to ruin.

That's why I started small, with just my snare drum.  It's metal, so I could *fairly* easily remove the paint when I screwed up.  It took about 3 tries to get a good technique down.  Then using that, I went to work on the rest.  Slow and methodical.

Thanks for the nice replies.  I appreciate the kind words :)

Cardsdrummer

I've actually always wanted a kit that looked just like that with green instead of blue. After seeing your pictures and reading your technique I'm tempted to find an old unwanted kit to work on.

Donald Mcnany (boomerweps)

Holy 1940's, Batman!

You definately got the Duco look down.
(Duco - clever 1920's name for dual color ;>)

Boomerweps

MVanDoren1

Quote from: TheBeachBoy on January 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Louis, I love the Squeak King.  Mines a WFL, so I'm guessing it's about 50 years old, but it's still kicking (pun intended).

I've got a buddy whose been drumming for probably 30+ years and the Speed Kings are what he still uses to this day.  I never had one but started with an even older style and have one now thats likely from the 20's or 30's based on similar images I've seen on a PASIC museum page a while back.  Comes complete with a loosely wrapped leather beater and a second insert next to the beater to hold a second pedal linked up to a different instrument- I'm guessing a cow bell or some kind of cymbal???

The drums look great too- glad you are hapy with them- what causes you to be pleased with them to the point it increases your desire to play, etc. thats a good thing.  I hope to be posting pics of my new finish shortly as well- if I can just get my wife to help me with this.  Have the pics on computer- just don't have the knowledge of how to get them transfered from the Kodak program to this site.