• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

What kind of sticks do you use?

Started by Josiah, February 13, 2002, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuseFan

I use Vic Firth Rock and Pro mark 2S..... ;D

RLRR

Hey MuseFan I think I know you from the nicedrums board ?

Oh, and I use VF 5A nylon tips, been using them for ages, and once you get accustomed to them it gets harder to switch, but maybe I will try something a tiny little bit heavier in the future, I find that if my sticks are to light for the volume you're playing at (which is sometimes the case with these for me), my hands and underarms start to hurt after a while..

BAnimalG

Well, I have an interesting method on this thread too.  LOL!!  I rotate between Pro-Mark 5A's and 747B's, both Japan Oak Wood Tips.  The reason behind this is strange I suppose, but justified nonetheless.  I use the 5A's for band rehearsals just to save everybody's hearing, but at a gig or in the studio, I will pick up the much heavier 747B's (unless a VERY small club), not only because they draw a much nicer response out of my kit, but they are heavier, and help me keep a steadier time pattern.  When practicing soloing, I will use the 747B's, but live I will use the 5A's, so I can get just a little more speed up.  Make sense?  Probably not, but you asked.   :D

irishthump

Not that strange, I know a few drummers who use heavier sticks for practicing.

Theo

I began using Vic Firth 7a several years back because I was trying to learn to play softer, and it is the smallest, lightest stick I could find. I've stuck with it and now 5a seems like a tree trunk. But I never have a problem playing too loud anymore... Plus physics tells me I should be able to get around the kit a little quicker, don't know if that's true though.

MuseFan

Yeah, RLRR, I'm on to six drumforums, including the nicedrums forum...... ;D

nullify_drummer

i'm a pro mark fan my self i like to use the 7A for lighter playin' and 707 for heavier playin' both in oak. they last longer and i found if u practice with a thick stick when u go to a smaller stick your faster and more accurate

Drumlooney

Man let me think,

I have a bunch of vic firth 7a's
some weckl sticks (the only sticks I have broken in the last five years)
a couple of 5b's
plastic brushes
steel brushes
medicine sticks
chanquito timbal sticks
Mark Quinones timbal sticks
hot rods
big wooden hot rods (some one gave me to try out)
a half inch open socket (for my rack and timbales)
extra washers and phelps
and a drum key.

I'm doing this from memory, my stick bag is in the car!!

SteveG

Pro-Mark J.M. 11a's with a nylon tip. The weight distribution is excellent and the stick has a very long taper down the shaft which gives you a better rebound of off the drum-head.