• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Long Lugs vs. Split Lug Designs

Started by felix, June 24, 2002, 06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

I believe the current trend are the split lugs with the theory being lower mass attributing to added resonance and sustain in the shell.

Ok, great but are long lugs then just a style that evolved from the "high tension" lug styles for parade/marching drum tuning?  In addition, do the current long lug designs (the ones that are actually suspended away/off the shell) let the drum resonate just as much as a split lug?  Or does it really not matter so much?

So the minutia of drumming theory continues.
I really don't know.

Mark Schlipper

it seems to me the long "tube" lugs youre talking about are designed more as a stable version of old single lugs from the, what 30's? ...

the trend toward lower mass is producing small single screw lugs.  great concept, but it means the tension rod is pulling on a single point.  so they have to have a pretty big footprint to keep the lugs from pulling into the shell ... thus almost totally eliminating the benefit.  there has to be balance (trick and adonis seem to be doing well with it, though i worry about tricks lugs over time) having a connecting rod/tube between the single screw ends keeps each lug in place.  imagine that the tension rod and connecting tube are players on either end of a tug-o-war with the lug.  it balances out.

as for resonance, i doubt it effects it noticeably.  the mass isnt directly on the shell, but there is added weight to the overall drum which can dampen the shell, but like i said ... i doubt its noticeable.  mostly aesthetics these days.

felix

Yeah, I'm digging the new long lug look/styles these days...good points you made with the tension hypothesis you proposed.

I've always liked the recording custom lugs as well.

Mark Schlipper

not a fan of the full length of the shell lugs personally, especially the recording custom/rockstar/premier whatever/etc type.  the idea of the lug being on the shell like that bugs me ... sure they sound dandy, so i know its all in my head, but aint everything :)  

me? i like little lugs, drummaker.com has some called "comet" that are personal favs, kind of an update on the slingerland theme.

felix

Any kind of lug is ok, as long as it is not GOLD PLATED.

YUK...that is why I never bought Yamaha Maple Customs cause of that gaudy gold hardware...GAG

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: felix on June 25, 2002, 06:20 AM
Any kind of lug is ok, as long as it is not GOLD PLATED.

HA! im with ya on that ... cant stand the gold ... can you imagine a set using all those gold ludwig stands???  ewwww!