• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Why are timbales so expensive?

Started by Big Yummy, January 05, 2003, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Yummy

Why is a decent set of timbales so expensive?  Are they really so difficult to make?

To look at them, they seem like a couple of metal snare drums without most of the hardware and without the extra work needed for the snare bed.

What am I missing?

Mark Schlipper

because they are like any other instrument.

you can make a quick and dirty functional model, or you can make a high quality one.  you said "decent set" ... implying quality.  when making timbale you have to consider the shell material, the top bearing edge, the hoops etc ... just like with anything else, they have thier own set of what works, and what works well.

can you hear the difference in a pearl crash and a zildjian K? they are just slabs of metal shaped in a circle right?

and a lot of metal snares dont have snare beds :)

Bart Elliott

Many timbales are made of brass ... which isn't cheap. You can buy timbales that are just chrome-plated, steel shells.

Also keep in mind that you have a heavy duty stand that comes with them. Most of the "high quality" timbale sets come with diecast rims as well ... which is NOT cheap. The rims alone are worth $60-75.00 a piece!

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Both Bart and 563 make valid points.

As far as playing latin percussion; I've experienced both cheaply made drums and well made drums (congas and timbales especially) and boy you sure can hear the difference if you start to try to simulate pro level sound.
Also there are pro level non-percussion,  latin players who definitely hear the difference between something like a steel shell and a brass shell set of timbales. They don't name the problem but you may not get called back to the more authentic gigs.
Drumset players (of which I'm one) will often be looking just for a different color to add to their set. Timbale players in say, a salsa band are considered the salsa equivalent of a drumset player (I've even seen some timbale players play a bass drum while standing and playing). You play a timbale on the side of the drumshell as part of the timekeeping in salsa (also called 'cascara'). This will happen as often as a set player uses his hihat or ride cymbal and the sound of a cheap shell is like the sound of cheap cymbals.
Now just as there is not a need for the top of the line cymbals for every playing situation, player and/or budget, certainly there isn't a need for top of the line timbales in every situation.

I believe there are great reasons to get great (i.e. higher priced) timbales - but as with all price vs. value purchases, it depends on the context the player is in.

Jim

Big Yummy

I can definitely hear the difference.  I'm just surprised that a good set of timbales would cost as much as two top-of-the-line snare drums.

I wasn't factoring in the stand and die-cast rims, though.

I also have to wonder if the timbales aren't a bit better made than the snare drums.  When I tap the side of a tom or snare, it doesn't really sound like a musical instrument.  A good timbale drum does.

On a completely different note, does anyone have experience with wooden timbales?  

RelientKngOdrums

why are drumsets so expensive!? that's what i want to know! haha ???

P.S. i know why, just funny