• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Veneer for Natural Maple Look

Started by Jim Martin (cavanman), August 27, 2008, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Some of you will remember that I have posted about a dilemma I'm having.
Here's a recap:

I have a blond maple Gretsch '80's kit in standard sizes(12, 13, 16, 22). Very nice set that I'm happy with - except when someone asks me to bring a 'small set' or I have a jazz gig where the 12-14-18 size is best.

I have several goals that would be met by getting a Gretsch kit in 10-14-18 sizes - in a matching maple finish. The first goal would be that I'd have a 10" tom, a size I miss when I play out with my current Gretsch kit (I have a Yamaha kit with a 10" at home for practice). I really don't use the 9 x 13 very much unless it's a true rock gig and I need the bigger size. The second is that I'd have a kit which is interchangeable for all kinds of different possibilities. But of the course the most important goal is to have a smaller set for the aforementioned jazz/small kit gigs.

I know the quick solution would be to buy a Gretsch USA Maple Custom in the 10-14-18 sizes. However I just don't want to blow that much bread on this. In fact I'd like it to be more of a working kit since I can count how many straight ahead jazz gigs I do per year on two hands.

Therefore, I've been eyeing the new Gretsch Catalina Jazz Club kits in 'Natural' finish. Finish wise, they would not be completely spot on but very close and the 4 pc. set sells for approx. $600. A USA Custom would be approx 4-5 times that. The catch is that although you can order a 10" tom for this kit's Silver Sparkle and Marine Pearl brothers, sadly you cannot order a 10" for this finish. Nor are there other Catalina or Renowns in this finish. Ugh.

So here's my plan.
Buy the Catalina Club in Natural finish. Get a Catalina maple 10" tom off of eBay (I know the Clubs are mahogany. That will have to be OK). Remove the wrap on the 10" and replace it with wood veneer and finish it with clear lacquer. Specifically this one which I saw on another forum:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-042

Although I'm not Mr. Woodworker, I figure I could ask for some help from one of my guitar building buddies and make it happen.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any comments about this plan? If you see a 'gotcha' or it looks like a 'right-on' then let me hear what you have to say.

Also know that a possible down-the-road plan may be to switch out the shells on the Catalina mahogany kit for maple Kellers down the road. I figure I could do it one at a time and it would be no sweat as far as gear being down briefly during the process.

Any comments folks?

Jim

memfodrumma

Uh, the paper backing might be a problem..... I perosnally don't know, but I would do a lot of reading if I were you.