• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Things that annoy me about drummers as a sound man

Started by stickers, July 13, 2006, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickers

1. Drummers with big kits, that take forever to set up, especially drummers who cant play.  (I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
2. Very good drummers who dont tune their drums properly (In turn making them not great. Good tuning is an intergral part of being a drummer, IMO.)
3. Drummers who place their cymbals to close to the drums. 
4. Drummers with nice kits but dead heads and/or @#$$% tuning.  (why spend the money on the kit?, you @##$%! what a waste of wood)
5. Rack mount systems ..ive seen drummers curse and get very angry at them cuz they cant get it into the right position after 10 minutes of adjusting..so sad. (And again,I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
6.  Dampening rings..9 out of 10 of them will rattle. buy moon gels.. they are more flexible, dummy.
7. Cracked cymbals.  Let it go and get a new one.
8. Drummers who dont tighten their kick drum pedal and other hardware..oh let me count the times Ive had to get behind the kit and put the pedal back into place while they are still playing....I'm a trooper, yup.   A few nights ago, a boom arm holding a cymbal let go and the cymbal came crashing down. ha, what an idiot. This is how #7 happens most of the time, im guessing? 

K im done for now!

Edited by moderator.

Watch your mouth - this is a family site, K?

Dave Heim

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 11:20 AM
1. Drummers with big kits, that take forever to set up, especially drummers who cant play.  (I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
2. Very good drummers who dont tune their drums properly (In turn making them not great. Good tuning is an intergral part of being a drummer, IMO.)
3. Drummers who place their cymbals to close to the drums. 
4. Drummers with nice kits but dead heads and/or @#$% tuning.  (why spend the money on the kit?, you @#$%! what a waste of wood)
5. Rack mount systems ..ive seen drummers curse and get very angry at them cuz they cant get it into the right position after 10 minutes of adjusting..so sad. (And again,I shake my head, smile and think of my nice 4 pc kit with a ride, crash and hi hat that takes 5 minutes to set up.)
6.  Dampening rings..9 out of 10 of them will rattle. buy moon gels.. they are more flexible, dummy.
7. Cracked cymbals.  Let it go and get a new one.
8. Drummers who dont tighten their kick drum pedal and other hardware..oh let me count the times Ive had to get behind the kit and put the pedal back into place while they are still playing....I'm a trooper, yup.   A few nights ago, a boom arm holding a cymbal let go and the cymbal came crashing down. ha, what an idiot. This is how #7 happens most of the time, im guessing? 

K im done for now!

It must feel great to be better than everyone else.

Mister Acrolite

Things that annoy me about sound men:

1. Only knowing one way to get a drumkit to sound good, and being utterly at a loss (or totally stubborn) when faced with a drumkit different from his "ideal."

2. Arrogance.

It's a short list. But I've encountered both countless times.

K im done for now!

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: James Walker on July 13, 2006, 11:45 AM
Is it just me, or is the language censor not functioning on this updated version of the forum software?  I didn't see any way to set it (enable it, disable it, etc.) in my "preferences" pages.

If there's no censor software anymore, then I've got some things to get off my chest, too...  ;D

Yeah, I don't think it's currently enabled. If you are offended by any posts, please report them. Even without auto-censors, our intent is to run a family-friendly site: profanity and inappropriate content is not tolerated.

Thanks!

Mr. A.

Mister Acrolite

Ah, I just caught some "colorful language" in this thread. I must have missed it before, blinded by the sheer genius of the rest of the post.    ::)

Dave Heim

You can always tell a sound guy. . .  but you can't tell him much.

DRWM

Coming here and baiting the members is like poking a beehive with a pencil.  Why would you invite flames like this?

Besides, if you are a drummer too, you should be wanting to help other drummers out, not mock their inexperience with live sound.  just my opinion.

Riker

I have to say bad tuning and bad patterns are all I hate.  Actually bad sounds too, like when a set of drums doesn't sound like drums.

stickers

Sorry about the language, in most forums I frequent that word is ok. 

I do help drummers when I do live sound.  And try not to be as harsh as my post is here as one would be lead to believe.
Quote from: Mister Acrolite on July 13, 2006, 11:33 AM
Things that annoy me about sound men:

1. Only knowing one way to get a drumkit to sound good, and being utterly at a loss (or totally stubborn) when faced with a drumkit different from his "ideal."

2. Arrogance.

It's a short list. But I've encountered both countless times.

K im done for now!

As for #1,  I tend get drums sounds that pertain to the style of music at hand.  For instance, jazz, I would go for a more open sound, in particular the kick.  For emoish-rock, tight and punchy. 

But there is a point where the kit is just garbage in most regards such as set-up style, quality and tuning.  For instance, I see many drummers that set their kit in such a way that it has to be counter productive for good techinique and becoming a better player.

As for #2, There's no way for me to prove I am or not online.   

And one final thought,  I knew this was a powder keg post since I knew some of you who see it as a slap in the face, but to me I see my rant as a list of helpful suggestions of what not to do. yup.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 12:40 PM
As for #2, There's no way for me to prove I am or not online.   

And one final thought,  I knew this was a powder keg post since I knew some of you who see it as a slap in the face, but to me I see my rant as a list of helpful suggestions of what not to do. yup.

Yes, there is a way to prove you're not arrogant online.

No, this isn't it.

stickers

Oh, Mr.A we could go back and forth like arguing hockey dads who have kids on different teams  don't agree on a call made by the ref but alais that would just make us hypocrites in regards to be arrogant, yup.

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
Oh, Mr.A we could go back and forth like arguing hockey dads who have kids on different teams  don't agree on a call made by the ref but alais that would just make us hypocrites in regards to be arrogant, yup.

We're not both hockey dads. I'm the ref.

And here, let me spell it out for you:

HELPFUL AND CONSTRUCTIVE:

I've found moongels work better than zero rings.
Don't forget to check your wingnuts.

ARROGANT:

Your drums sound sh:tty, you turd. What a dummy.

Contact me if you have questions. Thanks.

Mr. A.

James Walker

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 12:40 PMAnd one final thought,  I knew this was a powder keg post since I knew some of you who see it as a slap in the face, but to me I see my rant as a list of helpful suggestions of what not to do. yup.

The "suggestions" you offered could have been presented in a much more constructive fashion.  If you'll look through some past threads here at the Cafe, you'll see many statements in favor of working with the sound man on a live gig, or the recording engineer in a studio situation.  I suspect that, had you presented your case a little bit differently, you wouldn't have ruffled feathers the way you have. 

Something along the lines of, "In addition to being a drummer, I also work as a sound man, and I'd like to offer the sound man's perspective and mention some problems that I often face - and then suggest some solutions to these problems," would probably have been welcomed.  Instead, we were met with, "...why spend the money on the kit?, you @##$%!...dummy...ha, what an idiot."

In short, it didn't have to be a "powder keg post."

Dave Heim

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 12:40 PM

Oh, I wouldn't call it a powder keg.  It's just your rant; something you seem to have your shorts in a knot about.  Too bad - clearly it sucks to be you.  Anyway, I responded.  I'm moving on.  Yup.

Perhaps its your condescending tone and delivery that makes it hard to see past the rant to what you consider to be helpful suggestions.

K i'm done for now!

stickers

I understand it has condescending tone and delivery but I just didnt feel like sugar coating my rant just to be mr. nice guy. 

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
I understand it has condescending tone and delivery but I just didnt feel like sugar coating my rant just to be mr. nice guy. 

And you've seen how effective that was in getting your point across. Live and learn.

stickers

I think everyone clearly understands that I am annoyed by the listed items.  Seems effective to me.  I must be arrogant and ignorant. oh well. 

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: stickers on July 13, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think everyone clearly understands that I am annoyed by the listed items.  Seems effective to me.  I must be arrogant and ignorant. oh well. 

Well, you don't seem to be responding well to me bluntly criticizing you. Why do you expect us to act differently?

Seriously, spend some time here. Read some posts. Pick up the vibe. It's a friendly place, where pros and rookies alike have managed to get along well for years. You can try to cop that vibe, or you can go against it. But you're already seeing how well the latter approach works out. In a few short minutes, you've managed to offend numerous members, some with a long history of making valuable contributions to this forum. For a guy with 20-some posts, that's not a good indication. You may actually have something to learn from your fellow members here, but at this rate, you're making that less and less likely.

As both a drummer and soundman, you probably have a lot to offer. But HOW you communicate IS important, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Got something to share? Bring it on. Genuinely want to help people? Great. But if you just want to rant and bash  on drummers, I submit you'll probably not have a very good time here.

Chris -

I'm starting to smell a ban in the air............

jb78

Don't be so easily offended, everyone.  This isn't such a big deal.