• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Song titles with Shuffle and Half Time Shuffle feel.

Started by David Schneider, September 22, 2010, 03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Schneider

I am looking for a list of songs with a Shuffle and Half Time Shuffle Feel.  All suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks so much!!!   

Bart Elliott

Can you be more specific? Are you looking for a list or creating a list? To make a list of songs that have a shuffle or half-time shuffle feel would be an extremely long list.

What music genre are we talking about? Blues, Rock, R&B, Country?

Go back 50 or 60 years and just about every popular song being played had a swing or shuffle feel to it.

Knowing your purpose and intent would help me help you.

David Schneider

I'm looking at creating a song suggestion list for students to  allow them an opportunity to  listen to the feel.  It would be great to have 4 song suggestions in each of the genre of music that you have listed.  I've tried to "google" this subject with very little luck, so any song suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks Bart,  enjoy,  "D"

Bart Elliott

There are all kinds of shuffles and ways to create the feel. Some are triplet based, some are sixteenth-note based, some are in between.

It can be difficult to choose songs that are "shuffles" because virtually any song can be swung and turned into a shuffle. The very essence of jazz and blues is swung/shuffle feel, although swing and shuffle are different. For shuffle feels that are distinct in the jazz genre, listen to any tune with the word "boogie" in the title. In the blues genre, listen to any tune with the word "blues" in the title; most (not all) of those are shuffles or implied shuffles.

Here's a list of songs that you can listen to, from a variety a music genres, that incorporated a shuffle feel in their original recordings.

• "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" - The Andrews Sisters
  • "Hound Dog" - Elvis
  • "(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66" - Nat King Cole
  • "How Sweet It Is" - James Taylor
  • "Steamroller Blues" - James Taylor
  • "Pride and Joy" - Stevie Ray Vaughn
  • "Lido Shuffle" - Boz Scaggs
  • "LaGrange" - ZZ Top
  • "Divided We Stand" - The Dregs
  • "Hot For Teacher" - Van Halen

Half-time Shuffle Feels

• "Rosanna" - Toto
  • "Home at Last" - Steely Dan
  • "Babylon Sisters" - Steely Dan
  • "Fool in the Rain" - Led Zeppelin

That should be enough to get you started.

I don't own this book, but you might want to check out  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634010980?ie=UTF8&tag=drummercafe-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0634010980]The Drummer's Guide to Shuffles .