• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Ankle and Leg Update

Started by NY Frank, February 04, 2011, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Some of you may remember that I broke my ankle and leg in a freak fall a couple of years ago - right when I found the band I would later play with.

Anyway, last year was largely a music and drum wipe out for me.  I had to change jobs, and the new job consumed me 24x7 for a long period of time.  I wound up having to step away from the band - and I was off the kit for a long time.

I'm now getting back to it. [Although I still have to admit I have not established a good practice routine yet.  Very lazy after work.]

Well, the reason for the post is - I'm just coming to the conclusion that after all that time, the lay off actually helped my broken foot heal more. 

When I returned to playing after the accident, I felt like my foot was healed, but my bass drum work was weak.  Not weak in force, but weak in speed.  It was very challenging for me to be busy with the bass drum when it was required.

I'm out of practice at this moment, yet my foot is much, much stronger now than it was for the first year following the accident.   I guess I'm a bit amazed by that.   I would have thought whatever mobility and strength I was going to get back would have come back faster than that.   

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my right foot now.  I don't play like you guys and gals, but, that foot is definitely cooperating a whole lot more now.

Kewl.

Paicey

New York, one day at a time my man, Rome wasnt built in a day. Its the turtle that wins the race. Dont be to proud to ask for some spiritual help as well N.Y. .....I think he knows a thing or two about the human condition. Like the old song by Argent says....HOLD YOUR HEAD UP...keep on keepin on drummer...we are behind you and weve got your back.

NY Frank

I ask Him for help every day of my life.   Can't do it without Him.

:)

Thanks for the great post.

Bob Dias

Frank,
Glad to hear the recovery is complete and you're playing again!
keep on rockin'
B.

Jeff Bankston

keep playing dont give up. i am flat footed and several years ago my right foot colapsed where the arch would be. my right foot is a little crooked and i walk with more of a limp then i did most of my life. i play very fast with the right bass drum. i could have surgery and it would fix it but the doc said they would put an arch in the left foot to and i would be in a wheel chair for 6 months. i said no thanks to that. i also thought what "if" my right foot is slower after surgery. you might try some graphite on your bass pedal bearings. those bearings wear out and if you dont play them for a while they can get sticky. i have had my right pedals get slower over time and i switch with the left cause the bearings get flat spots. i recently checked ou the new Pearl Speed Demon pedal and its FAST ! it also cost $265.00 ! if you ever get bummed about an ailment just think of Rick Allen from Def Lepard with only one arm. hang in there and keep practicing and check your pedal cause it could be whats causing you to play slower. heres a foto of my right foot >  http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/supershifter2/?action=view&current=foot.jpg]http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/supershifter2/?action=view&current=foot.jpg    them droms show r dusty ?  oh and i usually limp up to and down from the drums, and to me its no big deal. as long as i dont hit myself in the head with a stick i'm fine !!!! :o yes i have hit myself in the head a few times and it hurt real good ! got a stick stuck in my hair once and i could see some in the audience laughing and pointing !!! :o

Daniel Heier